INTERNACIONAL
GOP DA trades barbs with Newsom after being blamed for bad ‘plea deal’ for illegal immigrant felon
Orange County, California, District Attorney Todd Spitzer said there was not a «plea deal» made in the case of an illegal immigrant convicted of manslaughter in the death of two teens after new scrutiny over the man’s early release from a California prison.
«A convicted felon who was twice previously deported is being released after serving just a fraction of his sentence for killing two 19-year-olds because California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state Legislature refuse to hold criminals accountable,» the Republican said in a news release Wednesday.
«This was not a plea deal. This was a defendant who pled to the court and was sentenced by a judge under California law, over the objection of Orange County prosecutors, who unsuccessfully argued for the maximum sentence.
TWO FEDERAL JUDGES MAY HOLD TRUMP IN CONTEMPT AS HE DEFIES COURTS IN IMMIGRATION CRACKDOWN

California Gov. Gavin Newsom campaigns for President Joe Biden July 4, 2024 at a county Democratic Party event in South Haven, Mich. (Chris duMond/Shutterstock)
«California’s creative concoction of good time, education and other credits has resulted in criminals being released quicker than ever before, fulfilling Gov. Newsom’s plot to empty California’s prisons and put dangerous and violent felons back on the street,» Spitzer added.
Oscar Eduardo Ortega-Anguiano was driving drunk and high and speeding at nearly 100 mph on the 405 freeway in Orange County in November 2021, when he crashed into a car carrying 19-year-old Anya Varfolomeev and Nicholay Osokin. Both were killed and burned alive. In the spring of 2022, he was convicted of two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated.
The victims’ families were notified Easter Sunday that Ortega-Anguiano would be released early on July 19, over six years before his 10-year sentence is up.
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT CONVICTED OF KILLING TEENS IN HIGH-SPEED CRASH TO BE RELEASED EARLY: ‘IT’S DISGUSTING’

Mugshot of manslaughter convict Oscar Eduardo Ortega-Anguiano. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation)
However, after Fox News’ reporting, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office said it would comply with an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer and transfer him into federal custody. The Department of Justice announced it was filing federal charges against him, and border czar Tom Homan said his agency would do everything possible to keep him in custody.
«After being deported in 2013, this individual unlawfully re-entered the US & committed heinous crimes. A GOP DA then gave him a plea deal instead of pursuing 2nd-degree murder. [California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation] will again coordinate with ICE — as they have w/ 10,000+ inmates — to transfer him before release,» the governor’s press account tweeted Wednesday afternoon.
In response to Spitzer’s comment, the governor’s office told Fox News on background that district attorneys get a say in what charges are prosecuted in cases. The governor’s office said it was the Orange County District Attorney’s office that dropped great bodily injury enhancements and other charges. Still, it does not play a role in the fact that the individual was scheduled to be released several years sooner, which could have been a part of the state’s credit system to get out early.
«For safety and security reasons, CDCR cannot provide information on an incarcerated person’s release date or location in advance of their release. Incarcerated persons may earn credits for participating in rehabilitative programming, which may move their parole dates to an earlier date,» the corrections department previously told Fox News.
TOP TRUMP OFFICIALS FILE CHARGES AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT AFTER FOX NEWS EXPOSES EARLY RELEASE PLANS

Anya Varfolomeeva and Nicholay Osokin were killed in an Orange County, Calif., car crash in 2021. (Courtesy of the Varfolomeev and Osokin families)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
On Thursday morning, Bill Essayli, U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, told «America’s Newsroom» why the DOJ is pursuing federal prosecution.
«This is what happens when you have an open border policy like we did in the prior administration. But those days are over. Under this administration, our borders are closed,» Essayli said.
«I’ve made it a top priority in my office, and I know throughout the United States, to enforce our immigration laws. So this defendant, he’s not gonna get free. He’s not going to be deported. He’s coming to my jurisdiction, and we’re gonna prosecute him. And once he’s convicted, he’s gonna spend many years in federal prison, and then he’ll be deported again.»
Immigration,Migrant Crime,California,In Court,Crime
INTERNACIONAL
Judge forces CA hospital to keep trans treatments for minors despite Trump funding threat

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A California judge is requiring a San Diego children’s hospital to continue providing transgender treatments to minors for now, extending a temporary restraining order as hospitals in California and New York take sharply different approaches to President Donald Trump’s executive order threatening to pull federal funding.
San Diego Superior Court Judge Matthew Braner agreed last week to extend a temporary restraining order by 15 days, allowing Rady Children’s Health to continue providing hormone therapy and puberty blockers to minors despite the Trump administration’s efforts to ban such treatments and fears of losing federal funds.
The judge’s order comes as a New York City hospital announced this week it is ending its Transgender Youth Health Program in part due to the «current regulatory environment» — a result of Trump’s executive order aimed at banning transgender medical procedures for minors.
FLORIDA EXECS SENTENCED IN $233M OBAMACARE FRAUD THAT TARGETED HOMELESS, HURRICANE VICTIMS
President Donald Trump speaks to the media after signing executive orders in the Oval Office. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
At issue is Trump’s executive order, signed shortly after he took office, that seeks to end transgender treatment for minors. In December, the Health and Human Services Department proposed a new rule that would strip federal Medicare and Medicaid funding for hospitals that provide «sex‑rejecting procedures» for children under the age of 18.
NYU Langone Health, one of New York City’s largest hospital networks, said the change was due to what hospital officials cited as the «current regulatory environment.»
Meanwhile, lawyers for the San Diego hospital argued in court that continuing the treatments for minors, even temporarily, could expose it to immediate risk and threaten its Medicaid and Medicare funding — a critical revenue source given Rady’s status as Southern California’s largest children’s health care provider.
Braner acknowledged after hearing from both parties that Rady and other hospitals likely feel caught «between a rock and a hard place» amid heightened scrutiny from the Trump administration.
Still, he said concerns about losing funding could be quickly addressed if that scenario unfolds. «We’ll clear our calendar, and we’ll have a hearing within 24 hours of any notice» from HHS, he said, according to local news outlets.
100 DAYS OF INJUNCTIONS, TRIALS AND ‘TEFLON DON’: TRUMP SECOND TERM MEETS ITS BIGGEST TESTS IN COURT

Trump and protesters advocating on behalf of transgender treatments for minors are seen in this split imge. (Getty Images)
The reassurances from the judge, whose extension is slated to last through March 15, did little to assuage Rady’s lawyers, who cited the risks of noncompliance and told the judge that even in a short window, continuing the treatments could pose a «catastrophic risk.»
The legal back-and-forth comes as more than 40 hospitals in the U.S. have so far restricted such treatments for minors, in compliance with the administration’s guidance, according to data compiled by STAT News earlier this month.
«Given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program,» NYU Langone officials said in a statement this week announcing the hospital was ending transgender treatment for minors.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Hospital staff from Children’s National Hospital watch as the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and U.S. Airforce Thunderbirds fly over the D.C. area on May 2, 2020 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Sarah Silbiger/Getty Images)
«We are committed to helping patients in our care manage this change. This does not impact our pediatric mental health care programs, which will continue,» the hospital said.
Officials at Rady in San Diego previously announced the hospital would also stop treatments for minors in accordance with the Trump administration’s guidance. The announcement prompted California Attorney General Rob Bonta to file a lawsuit earlier this year.
donald trump,politics,supreme court,federal courts,health,crime world,us
INTERNACIONAL
Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Potential U.S. military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals and even pursue regime change, a report said.
Two U.S. officials who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity reportedly said those are options that have emerged in the planning stage, if ordered by President Donald Trump. They did not say which individuals could be targeted, but Trump, notably, in 2020 ordered the U.S. military attack that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ elite Quds Force.
Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House and the Department of War for comment.
Trump already said Friday that he is «considering» a limited military strike on Iran to pressure its leaders into a deal over its nuclear program, when asked by a reporter at the White House.
BUILT FOR WEEKS OF WAR: INSIDE THE FIREPOWER THE US HAS POSITIONED IN THE MIDDLE EAST
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. Trump said Friday he is «considering» a limited military strike on Iran. (Allison Robbert/AP)
Last week, when questioned if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, «Well it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.»
Trump on Thursday suggested the window for a breakthrough is narrowing in talks with Iran, indicating Tehran has no more than «10, 15 days, pretty much maximum» to reach an agreement.
«We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,» he said.
TRUMP GIVES IRAN 10-DAY ULTIMATUM, BUT EXPERTS SIGNAL TALKS MAY BE BUYING TIME FOR STRIKE

The USS Gerald R. Ford is heading to the Middle East as the U.S. is building up its military presence there, amid talks with Iran. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)
A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the negotiations told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the risk of war feels and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.
However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that boundary, and conceding on missiles would be viewed internally as equivalent to losing a war.

In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, left, in Iraq. (Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The source indicated there may be more flexibility about uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation.
Fox News’ Emma Bussey and Efrat Lachter contributed to this report.
iran,military,conflicts,middle east,world
INTERNACIONAL
La Corte contra los aranceles de Trump: El establishment comienza a poner límites

El dato principal de este fallo es que el establishment, que es eso lo que representa en sus máximas alturas la Corte Suprema norteamericana, comienza a poner límites definitivos a Donald Trump. Esa acción puede traducirse en diferentes niveles, pero en concreto sale a discutir el populismo proteccionista del magnate. Si bien no totalmente, voltea el sistema arancelario que definía esta presidencia y que ha sido el arma principal de Trump para intentar disciplinar el mundo violando el derecho constitucional del Congreso a fijar impuestos.
Pero aún peor. Cuando el mandatario se alza contra el fallo del Tribunal, insulta a los jueces y sugiera que hará lo que le venga en gana, edifica lo que la Corte precisamente pretendería neutralizar: la consolidación de una autocracia.
El presidente a su llegada impuso una dudosa emergencia nacional y desde entonces gobierna por decreto puenteando al legislativo. Es eso lo que se ha fracturado ahora, lo que promete una extraordinaria turbulencia en los mercados porque deja al gobierno notoriamente debilitado y erosiona el liderazgo y la personalidad del presidente.
Este golpe se produce desde un poder que ha sido muy cercano a las aventuras políticas del mandatario republicano. Esa alianza parece fracturarse. El liberalismo clásico estadounidense antimonárquico –vale señalarlo- reaparece con este gesto, que era previsible y que además puede disparar un efecto dominó en el oficialismo parlamentario, donde un amplio sector masculla desde hace tiempo en silencio su oposición a los modos y las medidas extremas de la Casa Blanca que arriesgan una derrota en las elecciones de medio término de noviembre.
El fallo aparece además en un momento de viento en contra para el mandatario. El crecimiento de la economía se desaceleró más de lo esperado en los últimos meses de 2025. Se expandió a una tasa anual del 1,4% en el trimestre de octubre a diciembre, un 2,2 % para el año completo, por debajo del ritmo calculado por los analistas. Trump escapó culpando a los demócratas, pero es una narrativa solo para su tribuna. Lo más interesante es la balanza comercial. Esta semana se informó que el saldo comercial de la potencia solo mejoró un 0,2% durante 2025. Las importaciones de bienes y servicios procedentes de otros países alcanzaron un nuevo máximo durante todo el año inaugural de Trump pese a su agresiva política comercial.
Recordemos que los aranceles que fijó Trump a las importaciones, con el argumento de que los déficit comercial implican abusos y estafas, son en la práctica impuestos internos que pagan los consumidores y las empresas que traen los productos o insumos. No los pagan los exportadores. En esa línea dejaron de constituir una herramienta puramente comercial para convertirse en una fuente masiva de ingresos fiscales. Ahí hay una explicación sobre el aumento de la inflación en diciembre, cuando registró 2,9% en tasa anualizada. El agravante de esta novedad es que el dinero recaudado deberá ser devuelto por el gobierno federal. Son más de 134 mil millones de dólares el año pasado y se esperaba una cifra similar aunque superior para este 2026.
Pero la mayoría de la Corte que firmó este dictamen, posiblemente no solo este analizando esos números. Lo que revela este fallo es la potencia de las dudas detrás del nacionalismo trumpista sobre si sus políticas garantizan la rueda de acumulación, un básico del sistema capitalista. El presidente y gran parte de su gabinete son lo que en EE.UU. se denomina i-liberales, no liberales, con asesores como Peter Navarro que cuestionan el libre comercio que ha sido una bandera histórica del partido republicano.
Son estos halcones lo que han quebrado las alianzas del país con socios clave como los europeos asombrando al mundo, han reivindicado a Rusia por encima de Ucrania y creado un culto personalista del mandatario con ribetes soviéticos.
Trump tiene a mano algunas alternativas, pero no será ya lo mismo. Según informes del Financial Times, el gobierno pude utilizar capítulos de la Ley de Comercio de 1974 que permite imponer aranceles de solo 15% pero por 150 días. Es lo que acaba de anunciar Trump. Existe otra ley de 1930 que permite al gobierno fijar gravámenes de hasta 50% a un país que discrimine contra el comercio estadounidense.
Sin embargo, señala ese diario, aunque la Casa Blanca podría reconstruir un muro arancelario, las vías legales alternativas limitarían las capacidades de Trump para subir y bajar rápidamente los aranceles, como herramienta de presión.
“Con otras leyes, el gobierno tendrá que justificar el uso de aranceles. Será menos del estilo, ‘me desperté y decidí que estoy molesto con este aviso de la tele canadiense asique voy a subir los aranceles’”, dijo al Financial Lori Walach, del grupo Rethink Trade. Recordaba un hecho real de un castigo por una publicidad en Ontario, un estilo autoritario que tiene como antecedente en la región el 50% aplicado a Brasil porque se disgustó con el proceso por golpismo contra Jair Bolsonaro o los gravámenes contra Suiza porque no le gustó como le habló la entones presidente de ese país.
ECONOMIA3 días agoAyuda Escolar Anual: a cuánto asciende, donde se tramita y quien puede cobrarla
CHIMENTOS2 días agoEscándalo en MasterChef: una famosa abandonó a los gritos y acusando que está todo arreglado
POLITICA1 día agoDel himno peronista de Kelly Olmos al exabrupto de Agustina Propato: las perlitas del debate por la reforma laboral










