INTERNACIONAL
GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter ID bill as Senate fight looms

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Senate Republicans now have enough support within their conference to pass Trump-backed voter ID legislation, but a major hurdle remains.
The Safeguarding American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act has secured the backing of 50 Senate Republicans, following a pressure campaign by the White House and a cohort of Senate conservatives over the past several weeks.
Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, has led the charge in the upper chamber, ramping up his efforts last week as the bill moved through the House.
Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Senate Republicans reached a key threshold in their quest to pass voter ID legislation, but a fight over the Senate filibuster still stands in the way. (Rebecca Noble/Getty Images)
SCHUMER SAYS DEMS WILL FIGHT VOTER ID PUSH ‘TOOTH AND NAIL,’ BALKS AT DHS ROLE IN ELECTIONS
Lee told Fox News Digital that he was «ecstatic» about the progress made in shoring up support for the legislation and hoped the Senate would move as quickly as possible to consider it.
«I would love to see us turn to it next week, perhaps the day after the State of the Union address,» Lee said. «I think that would be good timing. But I think this needs to get done sooner rather than later.»
That multifaceted campaign — both on social media and behind closed doors in the Senate — proved successful, drawing support from Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., and several others.
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, became the 50th senator to back the bill. That gives Republicans the internal support they need to advance the legislation procedurally, but only if they turn to the standing, or talking, filibuster.
Before leaving Washington, D.C., for a weeklong break last week, Lee and other supporters, including Sens. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., and Rick Scott, R-Fla., pitched the voter ID proposal and potential pathways to pass it to colleagues.
«We had some good senators stand up and say, ‘No, we got to fight for this,’» Johnson told Fox News Digital. «I’m with them. We need to fight for this.»
COLLINS BOOSTS REPUBLICAN VOTER ID EFFORT, BUT WON’T SCRAP FILIBUSTER

President Donald Trump traveled to North Carolina on Feb. 13, 2025, to meet with military members after the capture of Venezuela’s Maduro. (Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images)
Still, the effort faces heavy resistance from Senate Democrats, who are nearly unified in their opposition.
The only potential outlier is Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., who has pushed back against Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s, D-N.Y., characterization of the bill as «Jim Crow 2.0» but has not said whether he would ultimately support the SAVE America Act.
Despite that possibility, Schumer and most of his caucus plan to block the legislation.
«We will not let it pass in the Senate,» Schumer told CNN’s Jake Tapper. «We are fighting it tooth and nail.»
Not every Senate Republican is onboard, either. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, has announced she will vote against the measure, while Sens. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Thom Tillis, R-N.C., have not signed on as co-sponsors.
One option to bypass Democratic opposition would be nuking the filibuster and its 60-vote threshold — a move some congressional Republicans argue has effectively become a «zombie filibuster,» since legislation can be blocked simply by withholding votes rather than holding the floor.
HARDLINE CONSERVATIVES DOUBLE DOWN TO SAVE THE SAVE ACT

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., speaks at a press conference at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 30, 2026. (Nathan Posner/Anadolu via Getty Images)
Despite previous pressure from President Donald Trump to eliminate the filibuster, the move does not have the votes among Republicans to succeed — a point Thune underscored last week.
«There aren’t anywhere close to the votes — not even close — to nuking the filibuster,» Thune said.
That leaves a return to the standing, or talking, filibuster — the precursor to today’s procedural hurdle. Under that approach, Senate Democrats would be required to hold the floor and publicly debate their opposition, as senators did for decades before the modern filibuster became standard practice.
The idea appears to be gaining traction among some Republicans, though critics warn it could effectively paralyze the upper chamber for days, weeks or even months, depending on Democrats’ resolve.
Lee said that many senators he’s spoken with are open to the idea, and that those who were reluctant didn’t believe it wouldn’t work.
«I understand why people might have questions about a procedure that we’re not familiar with,» Lee said. «It doesn’t mean we don’t have to do it, because we do.»
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Meanwhile, Trump has suggested he could take matters into his own hands if Congress cannot pass the SAVE America Act.
In a Truth Social post last week, Trump called the legislation a «CAN’T MISS FOR RE-ELECTION IN THE MIDTERMS, AND BEYOND.»
«This is an issue that must be fought, and must be fought, NOW! If we can’t get it through Congress, there are legal reasons why this SCAM is not permitted,» Trump wrote. «I will be presenting them shortly, in the form of an Executive Order.»
politics,senate,chuck schumer,elections,donald trump
INTERNACIONAL
Irán realiza maniobras militares en el estrecho de Ormuz, horas antes de las negociaciones nucleares con Estados Unidos

Sospechas
INTERNACIONAL
Trump border czar leaves door open to ICE deployment in other sanctuary cities as feds leave Minneapolis

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Tom Homan, the border czar appointed by President Donald Trump to crack down on illegal immigration, believes the administration may still deploy Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in other sanctuary cities as federal agents wind down their presence in Minnesota.
Homan said he thinks that possibility depends entirely on whether cities with policies shielding illegal immigrants decide to cooperate with federal immigration efforts.
«I think it depends on the situation,» Homan said in an interview with CBS on Sunday. «I’ve said from day one that, you know, we need to flood the zone and sanctuary cities with additional agents. The number of agents depends on the situation on the ground [and] how many known criminal targets are out there.»
GRAHAM TEASES TRUMP PLAN TO END SANCTUARY CITY POLICIES ‘FOREVER’
Border czar Tom Homan speaks during a news conference about ongoing immigration enforcement operations on Jan. 29, 2026, in Minneapolis. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Homan’s comments come as the administration looks to redirect its immigration enforcement goals while, at the same time, taking its focus off of Minneapolis by ending Operation Metro Surge.
Several cities voiced opposition to Trump’s immigration crackdown from the outset of his second term, making it an official position of obstructing the administration’s work.
In some cases, cities limited their partnerships with ICE by denying them access to holding facilities, refusing to share intelligence, or instructing local law enforcement to disregard their operations.
Minneapolis was one of them.
But the Twin Cities began to draw special attention from Trump and Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kristi Noem last year when links surfaced between the state’s Somali immigrant community and as much as $9 billion in state benefits fraud.
In response, the administration began deploying a heavy ICE presence to Minneapolis as part of Operation Metro Surge and framed it as a way to push back on illegal alien criminals in the city. In its first press release on the operation, DHS revealed that ICE had arrested five Somalis and six Hispanic aliens with criminal backgrounds.
«Today, ICE announced they have arrested some of the worst criminal illegal aliens, including child sex offenders, domestic abusers and violent gang members during Operation Metro Surge,» DHS said in a statement on Dec. 4.
TIM WALZ DEMANDS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ‘PAY FOR WHAT THEY BROKE’ AFTER HOMAN ANNOUNCES MINNESOTA DRAWDOWN

The Department of Homeland Security announced on Feb. 4, 2026, that there were more than 4,000 arrests of illegal aliens in Minnesota under Operation Metro Surge. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
ICE’s presence in Minneapolis soon became a lightning rod for Trump’s crackdown on immigration, sparking widespread protests and alarm from Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.
In particular, Walz, the 2024 Democratic vice presidential nominee alongside Kamala Harris, blasted what he saw as a lack of communication with local authorities and use of excessive force.
«The forcefulness, lack of communication and unlawful practices displayed by your agents will not be tolerated in Minnesota,» Walz said in a letter to Noem in December.
Operation Metro Surge ended last week in the wake of two deadly confrontations between immigration enforcement and civilians that brought renewed scrutiny on DHS and also derailed congressional considerations for the agency’s 2026 funding, thrusting it into a partial shutdown on Friday.
Despite the administration’s tensions in Minnesota, Homan believes officials in sanctuary cities can avoid future clashes by steering clear of repeating Minneapolis’ policies.
NOEM DEPLOYS TO BOTH BORDERS, SAYS ICE WON’T BE DETERRED BY SANCTUARY OFFICIALS WHO ‘WANT TO CREATE CONFLICT’

White House border czar Tom Homan speaks to the press outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 14, 2026. (Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images)
«I’m hoping other sanctuary cities look at what happened in Minnesota,» Homan said.
He believes there’s still room for agreement even amid heightened criticisms of ICE.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
«A lot of politicians are out there on the left [are] saying ‘OK, ICE, we agree. You should be focusing on public safety threats. You should focus on illegal aliens who have committed serious crimes in this country,’»
Homan did not describe what cities might be a focus for future ICE operations.
immigration,homeland security,politics
INTERNACIONAL
A dos meses de las elecciones, tambalea el presidente peruano José Jeri: el Congreso definirá hoy si lo destituye

El presidente encargado del Perú, José Jerí, tiene las horas contadas. Este martes enfrenta en el Congreso un pedido de destitución por tráfico de influencias a solo dos meses de las elecciones presidenciales del 12 de abril.
De concretarse su exoneración, sería el octavo cambio presidencial en el país andino en casi una década, en medio de un convulsionado contexto político que deja al descubierto una fuerte interna entre sectores de la derecha peruana.
Leé también: Cocinan de madrugada y a leña: así sobrevive una familia de Cuba en medio del apagón interminable
Jeri, del derechista Somos Perú, asumió el poder en forma interina el 10 de octubre pasado en reemplazo de la destituida mandataria encargada, Dina Boluarte, que a su vez había llegado al gobierno después de la remoción de Pedro Castillo el 7 de diciembre de 2022.
El actual presidente debe entregar el poder el 28 de julio.
¿De qué se acusa a José Jeri?
Jeri no es un presidente popular.
Su breve mandato fue sacudido por varios escándalos. La Fiscalía abrió una investigación en su contra por tráfico de influencias. Se lo acusa de haber mantenido reuniones semiclandestinas con empresarios chinos que son contratistas del Estado y de la propia oficina presidencial.
El encuentro ocurrió el 26 de diciembre en un restaurante de comida peruano-china de Lima, al que acudió encapuchado con la aparente intención de evitar ser reconocido, según videos de cámaras de seguridad.
El presidente encargado de Perú, Jose Jeri (Foto: REUTERS/Gerardo Marin)
“Jeri ha tenido acusaciones con el tema del presupuesto. Lo peor no es que haya ido encapuchado a una reunión en el auto presidencial a hablar con contratistas del Estado. Hubo invitaciones a mujeres al Palacio (presidencial) en la noche. También se filtraron fotos de su cumpleaños donde invitó a tres señoritas, una de ellas asesinada de 80 balazos por estar vinculada con una presunta red de tráfico sexual”, dijo a TN la analista peruana Giovanna Peñaflor, directora de la encuestadora Imasen.
Leé también: Homofóbico y sexista: un polémico general rompe con Giorgia Meloni y funda su propio partido de ultraderecha
Según trascendió, una mujer fue contratada en el Estado después que estuvo toda la noche en la sede de gobierno durante las celebraciones de Halloween, de acuerdo a los registros oficiales de ingreso y salida de personas. El mandatario negó todas las acusaciones.
¿Qué puede pasar con José Jerí?
A dos meses de las elecciones, la dividida derecha peruana también juega su interna en el Congreso.
“Hay un enfrentamiento entre Renovación Popular del exalcalde de Lima Rafael López Aliaga y Fuerza Popular de Keiko Fujimori”, aseguró Peñaflor. Ambos dirigentes encabezan los sondeos y luchan por el liderazgo de la derecha.
Las fuerzas conservadoras tienen mayoría en el Congreso y respaldaron a Jeri para que asumiera en reemplazo de Boluarte. López Aliaga busca ahora distanciarse del presidente encargado para no quedar “pegado” a una figura impopular y sacudida por escándalos en plena campaña. Jose Jeri se aferra al gobierno a dos meses de las elecciones (Foto: REUTERS/Gerardo Marin)
El fujimorismo, el partido más grande dentro del Congreso, es el único que mantiene cierto apoyo a Jerí, pero difícilmente pueda evitar su caída.
La suerte de Jeri, a quien sus detractores apodan “pajerín” (el diminutivo de “pajero”), dependerá de qué procedimiento adoptará el Parlamento para cesarlo en el cargo.
“Lo que se va a discutir es si procede la vacancia como cualquier presidente, o una censura. Si se lo considera como presidente encargado en su calidad de titular del Congreso, entonces alcanzará con la censura que requiere una mayoría simple de votos”, dijo a TN el analista peruano Fernando Tuesta.
Leé también: Quién es el heredero de la dinastía Castro que es señalado como el negociador de Cuba con EE.UU.
Pero para “vacar” (destitituir) a un presidente se necesitan dos tercios de los legisladores.
“En realidad esto es puro cálculo político electoral”, dijo Tuesta.
Para el analista, Jerí podría ser destituido este martes o incluso renunciar antes de asistir a la reunión legislativa.
Peñaflor dijo que el gran problema es elegir a quien eventualmente reemplace a Jeri en la transición que se avecina en el país. “No se ponen de acuerdo en el nombre”, indicó.
La favorita es la derechista Maricarmen Alva, una figura polémica que ya presidió el Congreso en 2021. La dirigente lideró la oposición contra el izquierdista presidente Castillo, lo que puede derivar en fuertes protestas de las bancadas progresistas.
Perú, Jose Jeri
POLITICA2 días agoUno de los jefes de la CGT adelantó que convocarán a un paro general por la reforma laboral: “Trabajaremos para que sea una gran huelga”
POLITICA2 días agoEfecto Santa Fe: policías y penitenciarios de Río Negro rechazaron un aumento en cuotas y amenazan con acampar por tiempo indeterminado en Viedma
CHIMENTOS1 día ago¡Sorpresa total! Wanda Nara irrumpió en la “Casita” de Bad Bunny y revolucionó River


















