Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

RNC chair bets on ‘secret weapon’ to defy midterm history, protect GOP majorities

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

EXCLUSIVE — Republican National Committee (RNC) Chair Joe Gruters says he has «one goal» this year — to make sure the GOP holds its fragile House majority and narrow control of the Senate in November’s midterm elections.

Advertisement

Making Gruters’ mission more difficult: the party in power, which is clearly the Republicans right now, traditionally faces political headwinds and usually loses congressional seats in the midterms.

But the RNC chair, a longtime ally of President Donald Trump, who the president picked last summer to steer the national party committee, says he has a «secret weapon» in order to «defy history» and pick up seats in the 2026 elections.

«I think the President of the United States is our secret weapon… He’s laser focused,» Gruters touted in a national digital exclusive sit-down interview with Fox News.

Advertisement

HOUSE GOP CAMPAIGN CHAIR WANTS TRUMP ‘OUT THERE ON THE TRAIL’ IN MIDTERM BATTLE FOR MAJORITY

President Donald Trump gestures as he arrives to deliver remarks on the U.S. economy and affordability at the Mount Airy Casino Resort in Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, Dec. 9, 2025. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)

Pointing to Trump’s unprecedented agenda during his first year back in the White House, Gruters argued, «I think it’s going to pay huge dividends across the board, whether you’re running for governor, Senate, House, or whether you’re running for a local seat.»

Advertisement

Democrats see it differently, as they spotlight Trump’s underwater approval ratings and deep concerns by Americans over continued high prices.

PERCEPTION VS. REALITY’: TRUMP’S ECONOMY PICKS UP SPEED — BUT VOTERS AREN’T BUYING IT YET

The GOP is also dealing with a low propensity issue: MAGA voters who don’t always go to the polls when Trump’s name isn’t on the ballot.

Advertisement

But Gruters noted that Trump’s made stops in recent weeks in three key midterm election battlegrounds and said that the president’s «going to barnstorm the country with our candidates.»

Donald Trump Air Force One

President Donald Trump disembarks Air Force One on his return from Detroit, Michigan, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, on Jan. 13, 2026. (Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters)

The RNC chair also spotlighted the party’s formidable fundraising advantage over the rival Democratic National Committee (DNC), noting that «we’re raising a ton of money.»

But he cautioned: «We got to do everything right. We got to make sure we turn our voters out, and we got to make sure that we have people energized. And there’s nobody that can energize our base more than President Trump.»

Advertisement

REPUBLICAN SENATORS HIT BORDER, TOUTING TOUGHER SECURITY AND TAX CUTS, IN 2026 KICKOFF

Gruters, who was interviewed ahead of next week’s RNC winter meeting, also argued that «there’s been nobody that’s been more focused on affordability than President Trump. Look at gas prices, the lowest prices since 2021 look at egg prices, real pocketbook issues that impact everyday Americans, the president is focused on, and he’s not done.»

Deep concerns over inflation boosted Trump and Republicans to sweeping victories at the ballot box in 2024, as they won back the White House and Senate and keep their House majority.

Advertisement

But Democrats say their decisive victories in November’s 2025 elections, and their overperformances in special elections and other ballot box showdowns last year, were fueled by their laser focus on affordability.

«One year into his second term, Donald Trump has made one thing unmistakably clear: He doesn’t care about everyday Americans — he only cares about himself and his billionaire donors. As working families struggle to afford groceries, utilities, and health care, and worry about finding a job, Trump is busy meddling in foreign countries and palling around with executives, failing to address Americans’ top concerns on the economy,» DNC Rapid Response Director Kendall Witmer argued in a statement.

And pointing to November’s midterm elections, Witmer predicted, «Voters won’t forget Trump’s betrayal come midterms — and Republicans will have to answer for it.» 

Advertisement

CONGRESSIONAL DEMOCRATS WIDEN 2026 BATTLEFIELD, ZERO IN ON NEW HOUSE REPUBLICAN TARGETS

But Gruters, who was a certified public accountant (CPA) before taking over the RNC, highlighted the series of tax cuts in the «One Big Beautiful Bill Act,» Trump’s signature domestic policy achievement so far during his second term.

«I will tell you that people are very excited about filing their taxes this year. This should be some of the biggest refunds that anybody has gotten,» he said.

Advertisement

The cost of living has been a key issue at the ballot box the past couple of years. And an overwhelming majority questioned in a Fox News national poll conducted last month expressed concern about high prices.

Gruters, promoting Trump’s agenda, told Fox News Digital that from «an affordability standpoint, I think we win hands down based on the policies this president has pushed.»

Democrats disagree.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Gruters’ rival, DNC Chair Ken Martin, put it bluntly last month at the national party’s winter meeting.

«S*** is too expensive,» Martin emphasized.

Advertisement

donald trump,republicans elections,elections,midterm elections,democrats elections,inflation,campaigning

Advertisement

INTERNACIONAL

Los precios del petróleo cayeron mientras Estados Unidos negocia con Irán

Published

on


FOTO DE ARCHIVO: Una llamarada de gas en una plataforma de producción de petróleo se ve junto a una bandera iraní en el golfo. 25 de julio de 2005
REUTERS/Raheb Homavandi

Las negociaciones nucleares entre Irán y Estados Unidos en Ginebra abrieron una fase de mayor optimismo en los mercados, tras jornadas marcadas por declaraciones enfrentadas entre el presidente Donald Trump y las autoridades iraníes. El precio del petróleo, que había subido ante el aumento de la tensión, experimentó una baja luego de que el ministro de Exteriores iraní, Abbas Araghchi, declarara que “se ha abierto una nueva ventana de oportunidad” para alcanzar un acuerdo sostenible, aunque Irán mantiene su disposición a defenderse ante cualquier amenaza.

El barril de West Texas Intermediate cerró con una caída de 0,9% hasta $62,33, tras haber llegado a subir 1,5% durante la jornada. Por su parte, el Brent del Mar del Norte retrocedió 1,8% hasta $67,42. Analistas del sector, como Aarin Chiekrie de Hargreaves Lansdown, indicaron que “hay especulación sobre la posibilidad de que Irán acepte diluir su uranio más enriquecido a cambio del levantamiento total de las sanciones financieras”, aunque persisten dudas sobre si ese gesto será suficiente para lograr un acuerdo definitivo.

Advertisement

Desde Teherán se informó que existe un acuerdo general con Washington sobre los términos básicos de un potencial pacto, mientras que un funcionario estadounidense confirmó que los negociadores iraníes volverán a Ginebra con una nueva propuesta en dos semanas. A pesar de estos avances, ambos países mantienen despliegues militares en la región: Irán anunció el cierre temporal de una parte del Estrecho de Ormuz para ejercicios militares, mientras que Estados Unidos envió un segundo portaviones. Esta situación añade volatilidad a los mercados energéticos, ya que el Estrecho es un punto clave para el tránsito mundial de crudo.

En el ámbito bursátil, Wall Street cerró la sesión con leves alzas, después de una jornada volátil. Chiekrie señaló que “los corredores de seguros, asesores financieros, servicios inmobiliarios y logística estuvieron bajo presión la semana pasada, y los inversores observan con cautela qué segmento del mercado podría ser el próximo en verse afectado por la inteligencia artificial”. Las bolsas europeas finalizaron en terreno positivo, con Londres y Fráncfort subiendo 0,8%, mientras que Tokio retrocedió y los mercados chinos permanecieron cerrados por el Año Nuevo Lunar.

Fotografía de archivo del portaviones
Fotografía de archivo del portaviones estadounidense USS Gerald R. Ford
EFE/ Cati Cladera

En el Reino Unido, los datos oficiales mostraron que el desempleo alcanzó un 5,2% en el último trimestre, el nivel más alto en cinco años, lo que aumenta la probabilidad de que el Banco de Inglaterra reduzca su tasa de interés de referencia el mes próximo. En el mercado de divisas, el dólar estadounidense se debilitó frente al yen.

Por otro lado, la Cámara de Industria y Comercio de Alemania advirtió que la mayor economía europea no se recuperará en 2026, debido a la persistente incertidumbre geopolítica, los altos costos y la débil demanda interna. Alemania apenas logró un crecimiento moderado en 2025, tras dos años de recesión.

Advertisement

En el sector corporativo, las acciones del gigante agroquímico Bayer subieron cerca de ocho por ciento luego de que su filial Monsanto propusiera un acuerdo de hasta USD 7.250 millones para resolver demandas colectivas en Estados Unidos, relacionadas con el supuesto vínculo entre el herbicida Roundup y el cáncer en sangre, lo que podría cerrar años de litigios costosos.

Mientras tanto, los inversores siguieron de cerca las negociaciones mediadas por Estados Unidos entre Ucrania y Rusia en Ginebra. Un asistente del equipo negociador de Kiev informó que las conversaciones continuarán el miércoles, y una eventual resolución podría allanar el camino para el levantamiento de sanciones y el incremento de los flujos petroleros hacia los mercados internacionales.

(Con información de AFP y Bloomberg)

Advertisement



Corporate Events,Commodities Markets,Energy Markets

Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Dem governor’s ‘dangerous’ anti-ICE law ignites backlash after alleged box cutter attack by illegal alien

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

FIRST ON FOX: The arrest of an illegal alien who allegedly sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter in Anne Arundale County, Maryland, would have been jeopardized by a new sanctuary law signed by the governor on Tuesday, according to the Department of Homeland Security.  

Advertisement

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Democratic Gov. Wes Moore pushed back, saying that «nothing in today’s legislation would prevent criminals from getting deported.»

DHS told Fox News Digital that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested the illegal, Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez, a criminal illegal alien from Mexico, who was charged with attempted murder, assault, and reckless endangerment in Anne Arundale County, Maryland. 

BLOCKING ICE COOPERATION FUELED MINNESOTA UNREST, OFFICIALS WARN AS VIRGINIA REVERSES COURSE

Advertisement

Gov. Wes Moore, D-Md., (left) signed a bill on Tuesday banning 287(g) cooperation with ICE, which DHS said would jeopardize the arrest of illegals such as Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez (right), a criminal illegal alien from Mexico, who was charged with attempted murder, assault, and reckless endangerment in Anne Arundale County, Maryland.  (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images; DHS)

Local Maryland outlet, the Capital Gazette, reported that Gutierrez sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter and accused her of cheating on him.

Following the crime and his subsequent arrest, DHS said that the ICE detainer lodged with the Anne Arundale County Detention Center was honored, «allowing a safe and controlled transfer of custody.» Gutierrez is currently in ICE custody pending removal proceedings, according to DHS.

Advertisement

The agency said that «safe arrests like these are now in jeopardy with sanctuary politicians in the Maryland legislature passing a bill banning cooperation with ICE.»

The bill, signed by Democratic Gov. Wes Moore on Tuesday, prohibits state and local jurisdictions in Maryland from partnering with ICE in immigration enforcement operations through what is known as the 287(g) program. Signed as a piece of emergency legislation, the bill takes immediate effect and requires any local jurisdictions with standing 287(g) agreements to terminate them immediately.

The bill does not ban local law enforcement from honoring ICE detainers, which, under Maryland law, is up to the discretion of the local agency. However, by banning 287(g) partnerships, local law enforcement agencies are prohibited from issuing immigration detainers of their own.

Advertisement

Ammar Moussa, a spokesperson for Moore’s office, responded to DHS by telling Fox News Digital that, «Nothing in today’s legislation would prevent criminals from getting deported.»

DHS URGES NEWSOM TO HONOR ICE DETAINERS AFTER FEDERAL AGENT ASSAULTED WHILE ARRESTING ILLEGAL ALIEN AT JAIL

Wes Moore speaks on Meet the Preess

Gov. Wes Moore (D-Md.) appears on «Meet the Press» in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 7, 2025. (Shannon Finney/NBC via Getty Images))

A Tuesday statement released by Moore’s office said that the legislation does not authorize the release of criminals, impact state policies and practices in response to immigration detainers issued by DHS, prevent state or local jurisdictions from working with the federal government on the removal of violent criminals who pose a risk to public safety or prevent state or local jurisdictions from continuing to notify ICE about the impending release of an individual of interest from custody or from coordinating the safe transfer of custody within constitutional limits.

Advertisement

In the same statement, Moore ripped into federal immigration agents, saying, «In Maryland, we defend Constitutional rights and Constitutional policing—and we will not allow untrained, unqualified, and unaccountable ICE agents to deputize our law enforcement officers.» 

Moore said that «this bill draws a clear line: we will continue to work with federal partners to hold violent offenders accountable, but we refuse to blur the lines between state and federal authority in ways that undermine the trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.»

«Maryland is a community of immigrants,» added Moore, «and that’s one of our greatest strengths because this country is incomplete without each and every one of us.»

Advertisement

However, DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin, who is set to depart from DHS next week, told Fox News Digital that the Maryland legislature is «unfortunately following a dangerous path … of putting criminal illegal aliens over American citizens.»

TEXAS GOVERNOR EXPOSES ‘HYPOCRISY’ OF DEM PUSH FOR STATES’ RIGHTS IN MINNESOTA AFTER BIDEN YEARS

Criminal illegal aliens arrested by ICE in Maryland

Left to right, from top: Vladimir Herrera-Garcia, Manuel Portillo Cardoza, Jose Rivera Medrano, Nilo Herrera Sanchez and Jeffry Alfaro Lemus. (G Fiume/Maryland Terrapins/Getty Images; DHS)

«Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez, a monster who sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter, will never walk American streets again because Anne Arundale County worked with ICE to keep this criminal off our streets,» continued McLaughlin. 

Advertisement

«Now, Maryland sanctuary politicians are playing Russian roulette with American lives by outlawing cooperation with ICE and forcing law enforcement to RELEASE criminals from their jails into our communities and perpetrate more crimes and create more victims.» 

In addition to Gutierrez, DHS accused Maryland politicians of «choosing to protect» other «public safety threats» recently arrested by ICE in Maryland.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

The agency pointed to the recent arrests by ICE of Vladimir Herrera-Garcia, from El Salvador, who was convicted of homicide and larceny; Manuel Portillo Cardoza, from El Salvador, convicted of assault and lewd or lascivious acts with minor; Jose Rivera Medrano, from El Salvador, convicted of incest with minor, sex offense against child-fondling, and another sex offense; Nilo Herrera Sanchez, from Peru, convicted of strong-arm rape, sex assault, sex offense, and rape with weapon; And Jeffry Alfaro Lemus, an MS-13 member from El Salvador, convicted of possession of a weapon.

DHS stated that «by outlawing cooperation with ICE, Maryland’s sanctuary policies are siding with heinous criminal illegal aliens over public safety. McLaughlin added that «unfortunately, the only consequence will be the continued murder, rape, assault, robbery, and carnage of American lives.»

Advertisement

immigration,sanctuary cities,illegal immigrants,migrant crime,maryland,enforcement,homeland security

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Peru sinks deeper into chaos as seventh president in ten years ousted in ‘Chifagate’ scandal

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Peru’s interim president was removed from office Tuesday over corruption allegations, further destabilizing the country ahead of April’s presidential and congressional elections, according to reports.

Advertisement

José Jerí’s ouster follows an ongoing scandal called «Chifagate,» in which he was allegedly filmed at an undisclosed meeting with a Chinese businessman who holds a concession for an energy project, the Associated Press reported.

Jeri was also said to have met with another business person, reportedly under investigation for alleged involvement in illegal logging.

Lawmakers removed him by voting to censure him as head of Congress, which needed only a simple majority and automatically stripped him of the presidency.

Advertisement

WHO IS THE POPULIST CONSERVATIVE PRESIDENT-ELECT IN COSTA RICA?
 

Peru’s Congress ousted President Jose Jeri following a scandal over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman in Lima. (REUTERS/Angela Ponce)

Jerí has said he will respect the outcome of the vote, has denied wrongdoing and will return to his role as a legislator, Reuters reported.

Advertisement

Tuesday’s ousting vote marks the latest twist in a prolonged political crisis that has seen seven presidents since 2016.

Jerí had assumed the post on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte.

Right-wing parties that had backed Boluarte withdrew support amid further corruption scandals. Since Boluarte had no vice president, Jerí, then head of Congress, was next in line.

Advertisement

Lawmakers will now elect a new head of Congress, who will also assume the presidency until July 28, 2026, when the winner of the April 12 election is sworn in.

TRUMP ADMIN WARNS PERU IT COULD LOSE SOVEREIGNTY AS CHINA TIGHTENS GRIP ON NATION

Dina Boluarte

Jerí had assumed the post of president on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte. (Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)

As the country heads toward the next vote, the presidential field remains crowded.

Advertisement

Conservative businessman Rafael López Aliaga currently leads in polls, while Keiko Fujimori, the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori, is running second in most others.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Fujimori narrowly lost her last presidential bid, securing 49% of the vote in 2021. If no candidate wins more than 50% in April, the top two finishers will advance to a June runoff.

Advertisement

Rospigliosi said parties have until 6 p.m. local time to present candidates, and the legislature is expected to vote on a new president Feb. 18.



elections,congress,corruption

Continue Reading

Tendencias