Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

UK targets Elon Musk’s X with fines and possible ban over Grok deepfake abuse

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The British government intensified its crackdown on AI-generated sexual abuse Monday after ministers confirmed a possible ban on Elon Musk’s social media platform X amid a widening probe and with the company potentially incurring hefty fines.

Advertisement

The dramatic move follows the launch of a formal investigation by Ofcom, the U.K. communications regulator, into whether X breached its legal duties under the U.K.’s Online Safety Act and came after reports that the platform’s built-in AI chatbot, Grok, was used to generate and share sexualized deepfake images of women and children.

Grok was launched in 2023 but its image generator feature, Grok Imagine, was added in 2025 with a specific mode to generate adult content.

Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology Liz Kendall described the recent use of the AI tool being misused to generate sexually explicit and non-consensual images as «deeply disturbing.» 

Advertisement

Kendall also warned that social media companies would be held accountable if they failed to act.

UK PM STARMER–PRAISED EGYPTIAN EXTREMIST FACES COUNTER-TERROR PROBE OVER RESURFACED TWEETS

Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology Liz Kendall has warned that Ofcom has the authority to issue «fines worth millions of dollars» or penalties of up to 10% of a company’s qualifying worldwide revenue. ( Rasid Necati Aslim/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Advertisement

«I welcome Ofcom’s urgency in launching a formal investigation today,» Kendall said, according to Reuters. «It is vital that Ofcom complete this investigation swiftly because the public – and most importantly the victims – will not accept any delay.»

In a separate statement shared later Monday, Kendall said the Grok AI tool had been used to create and circulate degrading, non-consensual intimate images.

«No woman or child should live in fear of having their image sexually manipulated by technology,» she said before adding, «The content which has circulated on X is vile. It is not just an affront to decent society, it is illegal.»

Advertisement

Kendall added that sharing or threatening to share deepfake intimate images without consent, including images of people in their underwear, constitutes a criminal offense under U.K. law.

LAWMAKERS UNVEIL BIPARTISAN GUARD ACT AFTER PARENTS BLAME AI CHATBOTS FOR TEEN SUICIDES, VIOLENCE

Elon Musk at CPAC 2025.

The British government is stepping up its crackdown on AI-generated sexual abuse, with officials confirming a possible ban on Elon Musk’s X as part of a widening probe. (Jose Luis Magana/AP Photo)

She warned that Ofcom has the authority to issue «fines worth millions of dollars» or penalties of up to 10% of a company’s qualifying worldwide revenue.

Advertisement

«But X does not have to wait for the Ofcom investigation to conclude,» Kendall said. «They can choose to act sooner to ensure this abhorrent and illegal material cannot be shared on their platform,» she warned.

Ofcom had said it «urgently made contact» with X on Jan. 5, demanding explanations about the steps being taken to protect U.K. users and setting a response deadline of Jan. 9.

While xAI, another company founded by Musk, responded, Ofcom said it decided to open a formal investigation after reviewing the available evidence «as a matter of the highest priority.»

Advertisement

In a statement shared Monday, Ofcom said, «Reports of Grok being used to create and share illegal non-consensual intimate images and child sexual abuse material on X have been deeply concerning.»

«Platforms must protect people in the UK from content that’s illegal in the UK, and we won’t hesitate to investigate where we suspect companies are failing in their duties, especially where there’s a risk of harm to children,» the statement said.

OPENAI TIGHTENS AI RULES FOR TEENS BUT CONCERNS REMAIN

Advertisement
Grok login screen.

The logo of the AI chatbot Grok, which is being developed by the company xAI and was founded by Elon Musk in 2023, can be seen on the display of an iPhone standing on a laptop keyboard.  (Silas Stein/Picture alliance via Getty Images)

As previously reported by Fox News Digital, the chatbot acknowledged in a public post on X that it had generated and shared an AI image depicting two young girls in sexualized attire, calling the incident a «failure in safeguards» and apologizing for the harm caused.

Amid mounting criticism, Grok confirmed it has begun restricting some image-generation and editing features to paying subscribers. The chatbot said the limitations were implemented to prevent further misuse.

Musk also accused the U.K. Government of «fascism» Monday for «arresting thousands of people for social media posts.»

Advertisement

The billionaire Tesla founder had responded to a post on X that claimed the country arrests more people for social media posts than «any other country on earth.» 

Alongside the Ofcom investigation, the U.K. government announced that legislation criminalizing the creation of non-consensual intimate images generated by AI would come into force this week.

Kendall said responsibility does not rest solely with individuals.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

«The platforms that host such material must be held accountable, including X,» she said. 

If they do not act, she said she is «prepared to go further.»

Advertisement

Meanwhile, U.K. Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s official spokesperson said the government’s presence on the platform was «under review» and that «all options are on the table.»

The Associated Press also reported Monday that Malaysia and Indonesia have become the first countries to block Grok.

Fox News Digital has reached out to Elon Musk and Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s office for comment.

Advertisement

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.



united kingdom,elon musk,cybercrime,uk politics,media,privacy,sex crimes,enforcement

INTERNACIONAL

Chloé Zhao, directora de ‘Hamnet’: “Me convertí en cineasta porque me costaba expresar mis emociones”

Published

on


Chloé Zhao se identifica como neurodivergente y destaca cómo logra conectar con las emociones universales a través de sus historias (Foto: REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni)

La cineasta china Chloé Zhao, ganadora de varios Óscar de Hollywood por Nomadland y ahora nominada en ocho categorías por Hamnet’, define su situación como “compleja”: “Puede ser un poco desagradable que a tu trabajo le pongan una etiqueta” en la que solo eres “ganador o no”, dice. “Creo que todos mis compañeros se sienten así porque todos somos muy sensibles. Así que a lo que nos aferramos es a la comunidad que existe dentro de nuestra industria, especialmente ahora mismo, y a apoyarnos mutuamente”, explica Zhao (43 años) en una entrevista antes de un encuentro en la Academia de Cine.

Todos los pronósticos señalan que el próximo 15 de marzo la cineasta recogerá varias estatuillas por su película sobre el dolor de Shakespeare y su esposa por la muerte de su hijo de 11 años, adaptación de la novela de Maggie O’Farrell, producida por Steven Spielberg, que está teniendo una gran respuesta en cines de distintos países, a cuyo público da las gracias.

Advertisement

Sobre sus orígenes en la industria audiovisual, asegura que hace las películas “por supervivencia”. “Sinceramente, me convertí en narradora y cineasta porque me costaba conectar, expresar o sentir mis emociones”, dice Zhao, que se define como neurodivergente. Sin embargo, sí es capaz de conectar con las emociones de otros -“la pérdida se siente igual, el desamor se siente igual, el amor se siente igual”- y de integrarse rápidamente en comunidades en apariencia muy diferentes.

Chloé Zhao suma ocho nominaciones
Chloé Zhao suma ocho nominaciones al Óscar 2024 por su película ‘Hamnet’, adaptación producida por Steven Spielberg (Foto: REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni)

Esta mujer que nació en China, se educó en Reino Unido y estudió cine en EE.UU., considera que “cuando no eres de un lugar y no tienes un profundo apego, en lo único en lo que puedes confiar es en estar completamente presente cuando estás con otro ser humano”. Con esta premisa consiguió obras como el excelente retrato del oeste americano contemporáneo de The Rider (2017) o la historia de una mujer mayor y pobre que debe buscarse la vida en los bellos pero hostiles paisajes estadounidenses de Nomadland (2020). “Es más fácil y seguro crear un mundo fantástico y contar las historias de otras personas” y “experimentar una especie de catarsis a través de la alquimia de la narración”, destaca.

Algo parecido es lo que le ocurre al personaje de Shakespeare en Hamnet’, que en la piel del actor Paul Mescal muestra dudas, debilidades y un dolor que vuelca en sus inmortales creaciones literarias. La imagen de un Shakespeare que llora chocó a algunos críticos que consideran excesiva la carga emocional de la película. Al respecto, la directora cree que “vivimos en una sociedad que, lamentablemente, no honra nada lo que no es productivo” y en la que a menudo se ocultan los duelos.

'Hamnet' muestra un Shakespeare vulnerable
‘Hamnet’ muestra un Shakespeare vulnerable y emotivo, una apuesta que ha generado debates entre críticos por su carga emocional
(Foto: Agata Grzybowska / © 2025 FOCUS FEATURES LLC)

Preferimos vivir en verano todo el tiempo en lugar de honrar el invierno, cuando las cosas se están muriendo y se están preparando para el siguiente renacimiento”, defiende Zhao, quien explica que “si no te permites sentir duelo sin intelectualizarlo” no habrá una transformación. Ella misma, a medida que madura, también sigue un proceso de “curación”, ya que había partes sobre las que no se había permitido hacer un duelo.

“Cuanto más lo hago, más me doy cuenta de que el cine, si no pones cuidado, puede ser disociativo, en el sentido de que no estás en tu cuerpo, sino en tu cabeza”, reflexiona. Un ejemplo de esta corporeidad en la película de Hamnet sería la escena del primer parto de la esposa de Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway -en la película es Agnes, el nombre con el que también se le conocía-, interpretada por la actriz irlandesa Jessie Buckley. “El primer nacimiento en el bosque fue muy diferente al segundo, estaba mucho más en contacto con su cuerpo. El bosque, metafóricamente, es su conexión con su propio bosque interior; no solo con su cuerpo, sino con el linaje de las madres y las mujeres de su linaje”, subraya Zhao.

Advertisement

Fuente: EFE



Arts,Culture,Entertainment,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,North America

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Election integrity groups press Supreme Court to require ballots by Election Day

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

FIRST ON FOX: A coalition of election integrity groups is urging the Supreme Court to uphold a lower court ruling that found federal law requires mail ballots to be received by Election Day.

Advertisement

The conservative-leaning groups, including the Honest Elections Project and the Center for Election Confidence, filed an amicus brief supporting the Republican National Committee’s challenge to Mississippi’s postmark deadline. They argue that federal law establishing a single Election Day requires ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The case could determine whether similar postmark-based deadlines in 14 states remain valid ahead of the 2026 midterms.

Supporters of the RNC’s position say a ruling affirming the lower court would establish a clear standard for when ballots must be received, though curtailing acceptance of late-arriving ballots would not guarantee that election officials won’t still be tabulating ballots in close races beyond Election Day.

«Counting ballots that are received after Election Day unnecessarily damages public trust in election outcomes, delays results, and violates the law,» Jason Snead, Honest Elections Project executive director, told Fox News Digital in a statement.

Advertisement

SUPREME COURT SAYS ILLINOIS CONGRESSMAN CAN SUE OVER STATE MAIL-IN VOTING LAWS

Mail-in ballots are inspected at the Los Angeles County Ballot Processing Center on Nov. 4, 2025, in California. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

Oral arguments in the case, Watson v. Republican National Committee, are set for March 23, and a decision is expected by the summer.

Advertisement

The case arose from a lawsuit brought by the RNC challenging Mississippi’s practice of counting mail ballots received up to five business days after Election Day if postmarked by that day.

The RNC chose to bring the case in the Republican-friendly U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, which ruled in the RNC’s favor and found that federal law trumps the state’s deadline and requires ballots to be received by Election Day.

At issue is whether statutes establishing a single Election Day mean that all ballots must be received by that day to be valid. The election integrity groups argued that under the Supreme Court’s decision from three decades ago in Foster v. Love, the «final act of selection» must occur on Election Day and that receipt of a mail-in ballot constitutes casting a ballot, which cannot happen after Election Day by that standard.

Advertisement
Mississippi voting

Minnie Bounds, 74, fills out her ballot at Blackburn Laboratory Middle School on Nov. 07, 2023, in Jackson, Mississippi. After months of candidates campaigning, the state of Mississippi is voting today in the Governor’s race between Gov. Tate Reeves and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Brandon Presley. (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Snead said a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court would «protect the rights of voters and the integrity of the democratic process, and ensure that it is easy to vote but hard to cheat in future elections.»

The election integrity coalition argued that allowing ballots to arrive after Election Day can lead to delayed results and can chip away at voters’ confidence in elections.

The groups also pointed to recent U.S. Postal Service guidance that warned that postmarks might not reliably reflect when a ballot entered the mail.

Advertisement

HOUSE GOP MOVES TO REQUIRE PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, PHOTO ID TO VOTE IN FEDERAL ELECTION

Supreme Court building

The Supreme Court building is seen in Washington, D.C. (AP/Jon Elswick)

Fourteen states and Washington, D.C., currently count ballots received after Election Day if postmarked on time.

Since the 2024 midterm election, four Republican-controlled states, Kansas, Ohio, Utah and North Dakota, have moved to require receipt by Election Day.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

A ruling upholding the 5th Circuit could invalidate the laws in the 14 states and require ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The decision is expected to affect the 2026 midterms.

Military and overseas ballots, which are governed by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, would likely remain unaffected.

Advertisement

supreme court,mississippi,elections,judiciary,voting,voter fraud concerns

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Iran fires live missiles into Strait of Hormuz as Trump envoys arrive for nuclear talks

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran fired live missiles into the Strait of Hormuz during naval drills Tuesday and signaled it is prepared to close the strategic waterway if ordered by senior leadership, according to Iranian state-affiliated media.

Advertisement

The drills come as President Donald Trump’s envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner are meeting senior Iranian officials in Geneva for a second round of nuclear talks.

Rear Adm. Alireza Tangsiri, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy, said Tehran stands ready to shut down the strait, a critical global oil transit route, according to Tasnim News Agency, an outlet affiliated with the IRGC.

Tasnim said traffic through the shipping corridor was suspended for several hours during the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise, which included missile launches from vessels, coastal positions and inland sites, as well as drone operations conducted in signal-jamming conditions.

Advertisement

TOP IRAN SECURITY OFFICIAL SEEN IN OMAN DAYS AFTER INDIRECT NUCLEAR TALKS WITH US

Iranian military personnel take part in the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz on Feb. 16, 2026. (Press Office Of The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) previously urged the IRGC in late January to carry out its announced two-day live-fire naval exercise «in a manner that is safe, professional and avoids unnecessary risk to freedom of navigation for international maritime traffic.»

Advertisement

«U.S. forces acknowledge Iran’s right to operate professionally in international airspace and waters. Any unsafe and unprofessional behavior near U.S. forces, regional partners or commercial vessels increases risks of collision, escalation, and destabilization,» it said.

GLOBAL PROTESTS CALL FOR IRAN REGIME CHANGE IN MAJOR CITIES WORLDWIDE AFTER BLOODY CRACKDOWN

Iranian naval forces conduct military drills in coastal waters during an exercise focused on operations in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian military personnel take part in the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz on Feb. 16, 2026. (Press Office Of The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The Trump administration has built up a large military presence in the Middle East as talks over Iran’s nuclear program continue, with U.S. officials signaling that any potential agreement would need to go beyond enrichment and address broader security concerns.

Advertisement

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in February that for negotiations to be «meaningful,» they would need to address Iran’s ballistic missiles, its sponsorship of terrorist organizations across the region, its nuclear program and its treatment of its own people.

UK, FRANCE, GERMANY TRIGGER UN SANCTIONS ON IRAN OVER ‘SIGNIFICANT’ NUCLEAR PROGRAM DEFIANCE

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday that he would be involved in the talks «indirectly.»

«They’ll be very important and we’ll see what can happen. It’s been – typically Iran’s a very tough negotiator. They’re good negotiators or bad. I would say they’re bad negotiators because we could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2’s in to knock out their nuclear potential,» he said. «And we had to send the B-2’s. I hope they’re going to be more reasonable. They want to make a deal.»

Advertisement



iran,middle east,donald trump

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Tendencias