INTERNACIONAL
Pritzker rails against ‘un-American’ possible National Guard deployment by Trump

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker blasted President Donald Trump as a «wannabe dictator» Monday, accusing him of trying to «occupy» Chicago with National Guard troops after reports the White House is preparing a possible deployment as soon as September.
The Democrat railed against a Washington Post report detailing the potential move, warning that Trump was escalating rhetoric against Chicago and its leaders over crime.
«This is exactly the type of overreach that our country’s founders warned against,» Pritzker said at a press conference in front of Trump Tower in downtown Chicago.
‘SLAP IN THE FACE’: MAJOR BLUE STATE GOVERNOR SIGNS BILL OPENING FINANCIAL AID TO ILLEGALS
«What President Trump is doing is unprecedented and unwarranted. It is illegal. It is unconstitutional. It is un-American.»
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker speaks to reporters in front of Trump Tower in Chicago as he denounces a potential plan by the Trump administration to deploy National Guard troops to the city. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune)
Pritzker vowed to fight the move in court, accusing Trump of trying to occupy a U.S. city for political gain.
«Go talk to the people of Chicago who are enjoying a gorgeous afternoon in this city… ask if they want their neighborhoods turned into a war zone by a wannabe dictator,» Pritzker said, flanked by Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson and other local officials.
«Donald Trump wants to use the military to occupy a U.S. city, punish his dissidents and score political points. If this were happening in any other country, we would have no trouble calling it what it is — a dangerous power grab.»
The Democrat said Trump was trying to militarize a blue state while simultaneously slashing $800 million in federal crime prevention grants. Most of the grants were headed to nonprofits and local community groups, not to police departments or federal law enforcement.
Pritzker said that crime rates are down in Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city, and that Trump’s narrative of the city being engulfed in crime is manufactured.
For instance, he said that murders are down 32% compared to last year and nearly cut in half since 2021.
«You are neither wanted here nor needed here,» Pritzker added. «We will see the Trump administration in court. We will use every lever at our disposal to protect the people of Illinois and their rights.»
Hours earlier Trump suggested he would prefer to be «asked» before sending troops. He has been floating the idea of deploying the National Guard in Chicago, replicating operations in Washington D.C. which has also seen the federal government take control of the local police. More than 1,000 arrests have been made and the capital has gone 11 days straight without a homicide, according to the latest figures.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker delivers remarks in Chicago alongside Mayor Brandon Johnson and other officials after reports the White House is preparing to deploy National Guard troops to the city. (Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP via Getty Images)
ILLINOIS GOV CALLS FOR MASS PROTESTS AGAINST TRUMP ADMIN: GOP ‘CANNOT KNOW A MOMENT OF PEACE’
National Guard units sent without state approval are generally restricted to defending federal property and personnel. When Guard troops were deployed to Los Angeles in June over anti-ICE protests, they were confined to federal buildings and escort duties for immigration agents. In Washington, D.C., which is under federal jurisdiction, Guard units have conducted armed patrols alongside local police.
«In a certain way, you really want to be asked to go,» Trump told reporters, before taking a jab at Pritzker: «He has to spend more time in the gym.»
Trump continued his attacks on Pritzker and ripped the Windy City’s crime record.
«I’m thinking about you know, when I have some slob like Pritzker criticizing us before we even go there. I made the statement that next year be Chicago because, as you all know, Chicago’s a killing field right now and they don’t acknowledge it. And they say, we don’t need him.»
Chicago recorded 573 homicides in 2024, marking the 13th straight year Chicago has led the nation in total murders, according to Chicago Police Department data compiled by Wirepoints.
According to the Council on Criminal Justice’s year-end 2024 update, aggravated assaults declined by 4% compared to 2023 but remained 4% higher than in 2019, gun assaults fell 15% though they were still 5% above 2019 levels, and carjackings dropped 32% year-over-year yet were 25% higher than in 2019.
Meanwhile, Johnson echoed Pritzker’s defiance, insisting Chicagoans don’t want a «military occupation.»
«We believe that you don’t solve crime by sending in the military,» Johnson said. «The last thing that Chicagoans want is someone from the outside of our city who doesn’t know our city, trying to dictate and tell us what our city needs.»

President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office as he continues to defend a potential National Guard deployment to Chicago. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Johnson called the plan «a stunt,» saying Trump’s targeting of Chicago is rooted in racism.
«We cannot incarcerate our way out of violence. We’ve already tried that, and we’ve ended up with the largest prison population in the world without solving the problems of crime and violence,» Johnson said.
«The addiction on jails and incarceration in this country. We have moved past that. It is racist. It is immoral. It is unholy. And it is not the way to drive violence down.»
chicago,donald trump,jb pritzker,crime world,politics,washington dc,illinois
INTERNACIONAL
Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly trying to take Kalashnikov rifle stocks: report

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
An American was sentenced Tuesday to four years in jail in Russia for allegedly trying to fly out of an airport in Moscow with the stocks of Kalashnikov assault rifles in his suitcase, a report said.
The unnamed U.S. citizen, who collects Kalashnikov weapons, did not make a customs declaration after purchasing two stocks and checking a suitcase containing the items at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport, Reuters reported, citing the RIA Novosti state news agency.
He later was found guilty under an article of Russian criminal code relating to the smuggling of weapons, it added.
Fox News Digital has reached out to the State Department for comment.
RUSSIA UPS JAIL SENTENCE OF US CITIZEN TO 10 YEARS FOR BEATING PRISON STAFF
AK-47 rifles are seen during a training session at a shooting range outside of Kyiv, Ukraine, on the left, in July 2023. On the right are passenger jets at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport. An American reportedly was jailed after trying to transport Kalashnikov rifle stocks in a suitcase at the airport. (STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images; Andrey Rudakov/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Russian state media is also claiming the American partially admitted guilt, according to Reuters.
The State Department warns Americans not to travel to Russia «for any reason due to terrorism, unrest, wrongful detention and other risks.»
CHINA PLEDGES AID TO UKRAINE AS US OFFICIALS WARN BEIJING IS QUIETLY FUELING RUSSIA’S WAR

A Kalashnikov of a Ukrainian soldier participating in shooting training is seen in Donetsk region of Ukraine on July 31, 2024. (Jose Colon/Anadolu via Getty Images)
«The U.S. Embassy in Moscow has limited ability to assist in the case of a detention of a U.S. citizen. There is no guarantee that the Russian government will grant the U.S. Embassy consular access to detained U.S. citizens,» the State Department said. «U.S. citizens may serve their entire prison sentence without release. The risk of wrongful detention of U.S. citizens remains high. Even if a case is determined wrongful, there is no guarantee of release.»

A terminal at Vnukovo International Airport in Moscow, Russia, in August 2023. (Maxim Shemetov/Reuters)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
«Russian officials often question and threaten U.S. citizens without reason. Russian security services have arrested U.S. citizens on false charges,» it added. They have denied them fair treatment and convicted them without credible evidence. Russian authorities have opened questionable investigations against U.S. citizens for their religious activities.»
russia,crime,state department,world
INTERNACIONAL
Irán está dispuesto a que haya una verificación de que no busca tener armas nucleares

El presidente iraní, Masoud Pezeshkian, afirmó que su país está dispuesto a que haya una verificación de que no busca dotarse de armas atómicas, coincidiendo con el ciclo de negociaciones con Estados Unidos sobre el programa nuclear.
«No estamos buscando en absoluto tener armas nucleares», declaró Pezeshkian en una entrevista publicada este martes. «Si alguien quiere verificarlo, estamos dispuestos a que se lleve a cabo dicha verificación».
Irán y Estados Unidos mantuvieron este martes unas breves negociaciones, en las que no hablaron directamente, sino que se intercambiaron mensajes a través de Omán, en su papel de mediador, y tras las cuales la vía diplomática se mantiene abierta en la búsqueda de un acuerdo sobre el programa nuclear iraní.
Al término del encuentro, el ministro de Exteriores de Irán, Abás Araqchí, declaró que se había logrado «un buen progreso respecto a la sesión anterior» (hace veinte días), que en esta ocasión el ambiente fue «más constructivo e incluso se refirió a avances sobre «una serie de principios rectores», según los cuales se redactará un posible borrador de acuerdo.
«Tenemos una decisión más clara sobre qué acciones deben tomarse», declaró, sin ofrecer detalles de lo conversado.
Más optimismo aún mostró el ministro de Asuntos Exteriores de Omán, Badr bin Hamad al Busaidi, que hizo de mediador y quien habló de «buenos avances» en la identificación de «objetivos comunes» y de «cuestiones técnicas relevantes».
A través de una declaración por redes sociales, el ministro omaní también se refirió a los esfuerzos que se hicieron para definir los principios a los que se refirió su homólogo iraní, aclarando siempre que queda mucho camino por andar y que habrá otra reunión próximamente.
La figura del director general del Organismo Internacional de la Energía Atómica (OIEA), Rafael Grossi, tomó relevancia en esta segunda ronda de las negociaciones, que se reanudaron tras los ataques de Estados Unidos contra tres instalaciones nucleares iraníes el pasado junio, en una operación conjunta con Israel.
Grossi, quien es candidato a ser secretario general de la ONU, se reunió el lunes con Araqchí, y hoy mismo lo hizo con la delegación estadounidense, que han liderado el enviado especial de la Casa Blanca, Steve Witkoff; y Jared Kushner, yerno del presidente Donald Trump.
En una comparecencia horas después en la Conferencia de Desarme de la ONU, reunida en la sede europea de la organización en Ginebra, Araqchí ofreció algunas claves de lo abordado con Grossi cuando, tras denunciar los ataques estadounidenses de mediados de 2025, dijo que en la actualidad «no existen modalidades» que hagan posible la inspección de las instalaciones afectadas por parte de la OIEA.
«Esas instalaciones requieren un marco acordado mutuamente entre Irán y la agencia. Esto es algo en lo que estamos trabajando», reveló el ministro en ese momento y mostró la disposición de Irán a responder a algunas de las exigencias de Estados Unidos.
Aunque no se sabe con certeza en qué condiciones se encuentran esas plantas, informes de organismos internacionales apuntan a que sufrieron daños significativos.
Sin embargo, durante la jornada también hubo mensajes duros -implícitos y explícitos- de Irán con respecto a Estados Unidos, a su forma de negociar y a sus exigencias, al tiempo que le recomendó actuar con prudencia en relación a sus amenazas de atacar militarmente si el régimen iraní no se pliega a sus exigencias.
A este respecto, Araqchí dijo en la ONU que en caso de que EE.UU. le agreda, su respuesta «no se limitará a sus fronteras», mientras que desde Teherán se anunciaba el cierre durante varias horas para maniobras navales de partes del estrecho de Ormuz, una vía marítima muy importante geopolítica y comercialmente.
Trump ha manifestado su interés por resolver la cuestión nuclear iraní -tras señalar que estaría involucrado a distancia en las negociaciones de hoy-, en particular después de la violenta represión armada de las manifestaciones multitudinarias que tuvieron lugar en las primeras semanas de este año en Irán y en las que murieron miles de personas.
Estados Unidos junto con los otros cuatro países del Consejo de Seguridad de la ONU, más Alemania, alcanzó en 2015 un acuerdo sobre el programa nuclear iraní, el cual establecía medidas para garantizar que se adecuara únicamente a fines civiles a cambio del alivio de sanciones, pero Trump retiró a su país del mismo en 2018, durante su primer mandato.
INTERNACIONAL
Obama dragged for ‘headache’-inducing presidential center update that has visitors squinting

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Former President Barack Obama’s presidential center in Chicago is again coming under scrutiny for its architectural design — this time leaving locals scratching their heads over confusing text wrapped around the top of the building.
«I’m outside the Obama Center museum tower right now,» Chicago Sun-Times architecture critic Lee Bay posted to X Monday, sparking a deluge of mockery from locals and conservatives.
«The new letters — an excerpt from Obama’s Selma speech — are tough read to me, giving off the lorem ipsum vibes,» he added, referring to placeholder «dummy» text frequently used in graphic design templates to fill space with scrambled Latin.
Obama’s presidential center — which includes a library, athletic facilities, a museum and more — is slated to open in June after years of delays that included lawsuits and federal reviews of opening the 20-acre campus on Chicago’s South Side.
OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL CENTER SLAMMED FOR PROMOTING ‘FAR-LEFT’ AGENDA ON PUBLIC LAND
The text of former President Obama’s speech marking the 50th anniversary of «Bloody Sunday» in Selma, Alabama, is wrapped around the side of the upcoming presidential center in Chicago. (E. Jason Wambsgans/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)
The construction includes a 225-foot museum tower with the text of Obama’s 2015 speech in Selma, Alabama, marking the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, when civil rights demonstrators were met with violent resistance from local law enforcement in a watershed moment that helped galvanize support for the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL CENTER JOB LISTINGS PUSH ‘ANTI-RACISM’ PLEDGE AHEAD OF OPENING
The text of Obama’s speech, inscribed on the upper echelon of the tower, reads: «You are America. Unconstrained by habit and convention. Unencumbered by what is, ready to seize what ought to be. For everywhere in this country, there are first steps to be taken, there is new ground to cover, there are more bridges to be crossed. America is not the project of any one person. The single most powerful word in our democracy is the word ‘We.’ ‘We The People.’ ‘We Shall Overcome.’ ‘Yes We Can.’ That word is owned by no one. It belongs to everyone. Oh, what a glorious task we are given to continually try to improve this great nation of ours.»
Critics of the building had a field day on X in response to the building update, including one user comparing it to a «Klingon prison» in a nod to «Star Trek,» while others lampooned the alleged inability to read the text of the building.
«What don’t you understand about,» Targeted Victory vice president Logan Dobson posted. «YOU ARE AMERICA ED BY HABILAND UNENCUMBERED ADY TO SEIZE WE,» he continued, mocking the confusing lay out of the text.
OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL CENTER BREAKS SILENCE OVER CONTROVERSIAL BUILDING DESIGN

Former President Barack Obama’s presidential center in Chicago is facing mounting scrutiny over a speech inscription on the building that has left viewers confused. (Jeff Swensen/Getty Images)
«The dyslexic in me is not amused,» journalist and columnist Salena Zito posted.
«He put his own speech on the outside of his library?» one user posted. «Find yourself someone who loves you like Obama loves himself.»
«I gave up after developing a headache three lines from the top,» one user posted.
PROTESTERS RAGED, CRITICS MOCKED — NOW OBAMA SAYS HIS LIBRARY’S ACTUALLY OPENING
«It looks like a WW2-era German anti-aircraft tower,» another posted.

Former First Lady Michelle Obama gives her remarks during the groundbreaking ceremony of the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago, Sept. 28, 2021. (Sebastian Hidalgo/Reuters)
«I noticed when I was in the air that the sentences wrap around the west and south sides of the building, and looks decent in a very specific spot on the ground or very good from the air…but like that’s not an ideal design in my opinion,» a Chicago photojournalist posted to X.
Other users didn’t take issue with the campus itself, but remarked how the construction is gentrifying the South Side.
«It actually does look good,» one user posted. «Love or hate the guy, at least the presidential library will have a nice park for people to walk through. I get the whole blue vs red thing. But right now the main problem seems to be the gentrification and house price increases in the neighbourhood.»

The main tower of the Obama Presidential Center rises above Jackson Park in Chicago as construction continues on the privately run campus. (Fox 32 Chicago)
The text inscription was preparing for installation at the end of 2025, according to the Obama Foundation’s website.
«At the Museum Building, crews are preparing support structures ahead of the installation of screen text taken from President Obama’s speech «You Are America,» which marked the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery marches,» the Obama Foundation said in its year-end recap on construction for 2025.
The Obama Foundation has celebrated the center repeatedly since it was first announced more than a decade ago, describing it ahead of its opening as «a lively community hub, economic anchor, and beacon of democracy right here on the South Side of Chicago.»
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The campus has come under scrutiny from locals over gentrification concerns and over its Brutalist-style of architecture, a post-war-era style popularized in the 1950s known for its modular and minimalist designs. For locals in Chicago, they’ve dubbed the building the «The Obamalisk,» according to the New York Post, in a jab at the Brutalist-inspired design.
Fox News Digital reached out to the Obama Foundation for additional comment Tuesday morning.
barack obama,michelle obama,white house,chicago
POLITICA2 días agoUno de los jefes de la CGT adelantó que convocarán a un paro general por la reforma laboral: “Trabajaremos para que sea una gran huelga”
POLITICA21 horas agoCristian Ritondo: “Vamos a apoyar la ley de modernización laboral, pero no el régimen de licencias por enfermedad”
POLITICA2 días agoEfecto Santa Fe: policías y penitenciarios de Río Negro rechazaron un aumento en cuotas y amenazan con acampar por tiempo indeterminado en Viedma


















