INTERNACIONAL
Top GOP senator steps up efforts to protect Republican majority in 2026 midterms

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
FIRST ON FOX: Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, the number three Republican in Senate leadership, is turning up the volume on his effort to protect and strengthen the GOP’s majority in the chamber in next year’s elections.
A non-profit public advocacy group aligned with the senator on Tuesday launched an ad highlighting GOP Rep. Ashley Hinson of Iowa, who’s running in the 2026 race to succeed retiring Republican Sen. Joni Ernst.
The ad is the latest effort by Cotton, the Army veteran who served in combat in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars before becoming a rising GOP star, to support Republicans in key Senate races in next year’s midterm elections when the party will be defending its 53-47 majority in the chamber.
«Iowa has a fighter in Washington. Her name is Ashley Hinson,» says the narrator in the spot by America One Policies, which was first shared with Fox News Digital.
HINSON LAUNCHES SENATE BID IN RACE TO SUCCEED IOWA’S ERNST
Hinson, a former local TV anchor, has been endorsed by President Donald Trump, Senate Majority Leader John Thune and by the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) as she runs to keep Iowa’s open Senate seat in the party’s hands.
The narrator highlights that Hinson «is tough on crime, and she’s tough on China. Ashley fought to stop China from buying our farmland, and she voted for President Trump’s tax cuts.»
TRUMP NOT ON BALLOT BUT FRONT-AND-CENTER IN 2025 ELECTIONS
«Ashley Hinson is putting more money in your pocket. Tell her to keep fighting for Iowa,» the narrator adds.
The Cotton-aligned group tells Fox News that it will spend six-figures to run the ad on broadcast TV and digital in the Des Moines market.
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) arrives for a news conference on Capitol Hill on May 1, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
It’s the second spot this cycle by America One Policies following an ad that targets Sen. Jon Ossoff of Georgia, whom Republicans consider the most vulnerable Democratic senator running for re-election in 2026.
And earlier this month, Cotton’s leadership PAC went up with an ad that takes aim at North Carolina’s former Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, who’s running against former Republican National Committee chair Michael Whately in the race to succeed retiring GOP Sen. Thom Tillis.
An America One Polices spokesperson told Fox News that «Senator Cotton plans to fight for his colleagues in the US Senate, to ensure that we grow our majority in the senate, to fundraise and advertise for our candidates and to make sure that the American people know the records of their Democrat opponents. American One Policies will be assisting our candidates across the United States throughout this election cycle.»
TRUMP NOT ON BALLOT BUT FRONT-AND-CENTER IN 2025 ELECTIONS
Cotton, who didn’t face a Democratic Party opponent as he cruised to re-election in 2020 and who isn’t expected to face a difficult re-election next year in red state Arkansas, has crisscrossed the country in recent election cycles to campaign on behalf of fellow Republicans.
«As Tom Cotton has done since the first day he was elected to office, he will continue to help support Republicans around the country who are running for office at any level, to win,» a source in the senator’s political orbit told Fox News Digital.

Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas was interviewed by Fox News Digital at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on July 20, 2024. (Paul Steinhauser – Fox News)
The 48-year-old Cotton took a hard look at running for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination as he made numerous trips to Iowa and New Hampshire, the two states that have long kicked off the GOP’s presidential primary calendar.
But days before the 2022 midterms, Cotton announced he wouldn’t run for the White House in 2024.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
And last year, Cotton was considered to be on now-President Donald Trump’s larger list of potential running mates.
Cotton’s support for Hinson in Iowa may spark speculation about a potential future run by the senator for the White House.
elections,midterm elections,senate elections,republicans elections,arkansas,iowa,politics
INTERNACIONAL
Duffy gives Illinois 30-day ultimatum after audit finds 1 in 5 noncitizen truck licenses issued illegally

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
FIRST ON FOX: Illinois could lose millions in federal funding if it does not clean up its driver’s licensing system after the U.S. Department of Transportation warned Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker and the state’s top licensing official that one in five commercial licenses issued to noncitizens were issued illegally.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy issued a written ultimatum to both the Hyatt Hotels heir and Kevin Duesterhaus, the state director of driver services under Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias, and listed several cases of drivers from El Salvador to Ukraine who were in violation of the law.
«I need our state partners to understand that they work for the American people, not illegal immigrants who broke the law illegally entering our country and continue to break it by operating massive big rigs without the proper qualifications,» Duffy said in a statement obtained by Fox News Digital.
DUFFY SAYS ‘TIME’S UP’ FOR NEWSOM AS FEDS WITHHOLD $160M OVER ILLEGAL TRUCKING LICENSES
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, center, speaks in Chicago. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
«[Joe] Biden and [Pete] Buttigieg forced Americans to share their roads with unqualified and unvetted foreign drivers, but the Trump administration is putting the needs of American families first where they belong.»
Duffy warned Duesterhaus and Pritzker that $128 million in federal highway funding, including Illinois’ share of the National Highway Performance Program and Surface Transportation Block Grants for FY-2027, would be held up if fixes are not made within 30 days and noncompliance continues.
«In addition, if the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issues a final determination of substantial noncompliance, the agency may decertify Illinois’ CDL program,» Duffy wrote.
SOME STATES HAVE LET UNQUALIFIED FOREIGN DRIVERS ON THE ROAD AND AMERICANS PAY THE PRICE
Non-domiciled CDLs are commercial licenses issued to noncitizens who are not green card holders. The only exceptions to the non-domicile rule are truckers from Mexico and Canada, whose licensing systems the U.S. Department of Transportation has determined are in compliance with American standards, in deference to the reciprocal relationship between the two countries.
Duffy took issue with two main categories of illegally held licenses: drivers whose license validity dates exceeded their lawful presence in the U.S., and drivers who were given licenses without Illinois verifying their lawful presence.
The audit was also conducted as part of President Donald Trump’s executive order declaring English the official language of the U.S.
Pritzker and Duesterhaus must immediately pause issuances of all non-domiciled CDLs, identify noncompliant ones in circulation, revoke and reissue all compliant ones, and conduct their own internal audit.
Audited examples of CDL scofflaws include two Kyrgyz nationals who presented expired employment authorizations (EAD) and USCIS applications for new EADs, which Illinois should not have accepted.
A Nigerian national and a Moldovan national were found in similar situations.
TRUMP THREATENS TO CUT $75M FROM PENNSYLVANIA OVER ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT CDL SCANDAL
A Singaporean national was provided a license after presenting only partial documentation, and several drivers «whose citizenship is unknown» were among those scrutinized.
Fox News Digital reached out to Pritzker for comment, as well as Duesterhaus via Giannoulias’ office.
Giannoulias condemned what he called a «threat» to Springfield’s funding in a statement provided to Fox News Digital.
«A strong economy depends on strong logistics,» Giannoulias said. «If trucks don’t move, supply chains fail, prices rise, and families feel it in their pocketbooks. We can see the actions by the Trump administration taking their toll on our truckers and our farmers, both of whom are essential to Illinois’ economy.»
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Newly elected Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias addresses the crowd after taking the oath of office during a ceremony Jan. 9, 2023, in Springfield, Ill. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast, File)
Giannoulias’ office said it believes its CDL issuance policies are «substantially compliant» with U.S. Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requirements and that it will conduct its own review of Duffy’s findings.
Giannoulias said the Illinois Agricultural Association raised concerns over the pause in issuing non-domiciled CDLs and that «Illinois agriculture depends on timely, practical, and legally sound regulatory decisions. Continued uncertainty places employers, workers, and food production systems at unnecessary risk.»
infrastructure across america,trucks,illinois,illegal immigrants,jb pritzker
INTERNACIONAL
Ukraine makes fastest gains in years as Russia talks stall, exploiting cracks in Kremlin command

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
As U.S.-backed negotiations between Russia and Ukraine in Geneva ended without a breakthrough, Kyiv made gains on the battlefield, recapturing territory at its fastest pace in years through localized counterattacks along the southeastern front.
The advances come as analysts point to disruptions in Russian battlefield communications and shifting operational dynamics, developments that could strengthen Ukraine’s leverage even as talks remain stalled.
Ukrainian forces retook about 78 square miles over five days, according to a report by Agence France-Presse based on an analysis of the Institute for the Study of War battlefield mapping. The gains represent Kyiv’s most rapid territorial advances since its 2023 counteroffensive in the Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia regions.
Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Richard Newton said Ukraine’s battlefield performance should not be underestimated. «As this war grinds on, the world too often forgets that Ukraine’s determination, innovation and moral clarity are force multipliers. Its ability to defend against a larger, better-resourced enemy should never be counted out,» Newton told Fox News Digital. «There are growing signs that Russia’s supposed invincibility is no longer a safe assumption, particularly as pressure increases on the Kremlin and its partners.»
UKRAINE SAYS IT CARRIED OUT FIRST-EVER UNDERWATER DRONE STRIKE ON RUSSIAN SUBMARINE IN NOVOROSSIYSK
Ukrainian soldiers from the 115th Brigade Mortar Unit conduct mortar training in Lyman, Ukraine. (Jose Colon/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The fighting has centered east of Zaporizhzhia, where Russian forces have steadily advanced since mid-2025. Open-source battlefield monitoring and mapping indicate Ukrainian troops pushed forward around Huliaipole and nearby settlements, though analysts caution the front remains fluid, and some areas are not fully secured, The Telegraph reported.
The Institute for the Study of War assessed in mid-February that the counterattacks appear to be exploiting disruptions in Russian command-and-control. ISW said Ukrainian forces are likely leveraging limits affecting Russian battlefield communications, including reported restrictions tied to the use of Starlink satellite terminals and messaging platforms cited in open-source reporting.

Members of the 93rd Kholodnyi Yar Separate Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces control an FPV drone with optical fiber guidance in the frontline town of Kostiantynivka on Feb. 17, 2026. (Iryna Rybakova/Press Service of the 93rd Kholodnyi Yar Separate Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces/Reuters)
Analysts say reduced connectivity can create short windows for Ukrainian units to move through contested zones that are typically dominated by drone surveillance and electronic warfare. ISW and other observers emphasize that such opportunities are temporary and do not signal a broader collapse in Russian defenses.
The evolving fight is also shaped by the growing role of drones. In a Feb. 10 special report, ISW said Russia’s expanding use of first-person-view drones reflects a campaign to «weaponize and institutionalize intentional civilian harm as a purposeful tool of war,» warning the tactic is becoming embedded in operational doctrine and could influence future conflicts.
UKRAINE STRIKES MAJOR RUSSIAN AMMO DEPOT WITH ‘FLAMINGO’ MISSILE AS TRUMP URGES ZELENSKYY TO MOVE ON DEAL

Ukraine fires six FP-5 Flamingo missiles in a night strike on Russia’s 117th GRAU arsenal in Kotluban, Volgograd Region. (East2west)
Despite the recent gains, analysts caution against viewing the developments as a decisive shift in the war. Newton argued that sustained Western military support remains essential. «Putin responds to force,» he said. «The United States and Europe should continue providing Ukraine with both defensive and offensive capabilities, including long-range systems capable of striking deep inside Russia.»
Retired Vice Adm. Robert S. Harward said battlefield gains are increasingly tied to diplomacy. «Both sides are trying to use battlefield advances to strengthen their position at the negotiating table,» Harward said. «It’s a sign neither side is ready to strike a deal yet.»
Harward pointed to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s stated willingness to hold elections following a ceasefire as evidence Kyiv is signaling flexibility, while Moscow continues to press its demands. «If a lasting and fair diplomatic agreement is achievable, the current U.S. team is well-positioned to help deliver it,» he said. «But negotiations must be paired with sustained pressure on Russia and its partners.»

Russia releases drone footage of an alleged Ukraine attack on Putin residence. (Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Nearly two years after Ukraine’s last major offensive stalled, the war remains defined by incremental territorial changes rather than sweeping breakthroughs. Both sides continue to rely heavily on drones, artillery and electronic warfare, with front lines shifting village by village.
«As U.S.-led talks continue, it is critical to increase pressure on Putin to end the war on terms that restore deterrence and prevent further aggression,» Newton said.
ukraine,russia,wars,world,politics
INTERNACIONAL
El ejército sirio ratifica el control sobre la cárcel al-Hol y traslada a las familias

Menos de mil familias permanecen en el campamento al-Hol, en el noreste de Siria, tras la toma de control por parte de fuerzas del gobierno de Ahmed al-Sharaa, según informó Jihan Hanna, exdirectora del recinto y actual coordinadora con agencias internacionales. Miles de personas huyeron el mes pasado, en medio de la retirada de las kurdas Fuerzas Democráticas Sirias (SDF) y el avance gubernamental sobre la zona, que incluyó la ocupación de varias cárceles de combatientes del Estado Islámico.
El campamento, ubicado cerca de la frontera con Irak, fue uno de los principales centros de detención para familiares de presuntos militantes del Estado Islámico tras la campaña respaldada por Estados Unidos contra el grupo yihadista en Siria. El ejército estadounidense confirmó recientemente la transferencia de 5.700 detenidos adultos a Irak, en una operación coordinada tras el cambio de control en la región.
Según datos obtenidos por Reuters el 19 de enero, un día antes de la entrada de las fuerzas gubernamentales, al-Hol albergaba a 6.639 familias, equivalentes a 23.407 personas, en su mayoría sirios e iraquíes, además de 6.280 extranjeros de más de cuarenta nacionalidades. La Agencia de la ONU para los Refugiados (ACNUR/UNHCR) observó en las últimas semanas una “disminución significativa” en el número de residentes, aunque el acceso al campamento fue restringido por motivos de seguridad y no dispone de cifras exactas de la población actual.
Las autoridades sirias han comenzado a trasladar a los últimos residentes nacionales a un campamento próximo a Alepo, mientras la mayoría de extranjeros habría huido o abandonado el lugar durante el vacío de seguridad generado por la retirada de la SDF. Fuentes de seguridad indicaron que un sector del campamento, conocido como “el anexo” y considerado el más peligroso, quedó completamente vacío tras los incidentes. Se reportó que algunas personas escaparon con ayuda de familiares o grupos armados, dispersándose dentro y fuera de Siria.
El Observatorio Sirio de Derechos Humanos confirmó que “miles huyeron de al-Hol”, algunos por su cuenta durante la retirada kurda y otros con la ayuda de fuerzas progubernamentales. Unidades de seguridad, en coordinación con socios internacionales, han iniciado operaciones de seguimiento y búsqueda de los fugitivos, especialmente de aquellos considerados de alto riesgo.
En el Líbano, fuentes de seguridad informaron que más de una docena de ciudadanos libaneses que cruzaron ilegalmente desde Siria tras huir de al-Hol fueron interrogados por el ejército local. Paralelamente, el gobierno sirio anunció el traslado de cientos de personas, principalmente mujeres y niños, a un nuevo campamento cercano a Akhtarin, en el norte de Alepo, con apoyo de grupos civiles como la Unidad de Apoyo a la Estabilización (SSU).
La reubicación, que según Mounzir Salal, líder de la SSU, podría completarse en una semana, forma parte del plan para cerrar definitivamente al-Hol y comenzar la reintegración de los antiguos residentes. La ACNUR subrayó la importancia de identificar a los extranjeros que abandonan el campamento para facilitar su repatriación o procesamiento legal según corresponda.
Desde 2019, tras la derrota territorial del Estado Islámico, al-Hol se consolidó como un entorno de alta peligrosidad, donde la influencia ideológica del grupo persistió y la vida cotidiana se caracterizó por la ausencia de legalidad, según testimonios de residentes y observadores internacionales.
(Con información de Reuters y DPA)
Civil Conflict,Demonstrations,Riots,Middle East,Civil Unrest
POLITICA2 días agoCristian Ritondo: “Vamos a apoyar la ley de modernización laboral, pero no el régimen de licencias por enfermedad”
POLITICA21 horas agoReforma laboral bomba: menos indemnización, más horas y despidos más fáciles — el cambio que puede sacudir el empleo en Argentina
ECONOMIA2 días agoEl dólar no sólo cae en la Argentina: qué pasa con otras monedas emergentes y cuáles son las causas















