Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

HUD launches civil rights investigation into Boston’s DEI housing policies over alleged racial discrimination

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced Thursday an investigation into the city of Boston, Massachusetts, alleging its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) housing practices violate federal anti-discrimination laws.

Advertisement

HUD said it has evidence Boston used federal grant assistance for «race-based preferences,» in violation of the Fair Housing Act and Title VI, describing the initiatives as a «social engineering project.»

«We believe the City of Boston has engaged in a social engineering project that intentionally advances discriminatory housing policies driven by an ideological commitment to DEI rather than merit or need,» HUD Secretary Scott Turner said in a statement. «HUD is committed to protecting every American’s civil rights and will thoroughly investigate the City’s stated goal of ‘integrating racial equity into every layer of city government.’»

Turner added that «this warped mentality will be fully exposed, and Boston will come into full compliance with federal anti-discrimination law.»

Advertisement

RUBIO ORDERS RESTITUTION FOR HUNDREDS OF STAFFERS DENIED PROMOTIONS UNDER BIDEN DEI RULE

The Department of Housing and Urban Development opened an investigation into Boston’s DEI housing practices, alleging violations of federal Fair Housing Act. (Getty Images; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

The investigation came after HUD sent a letter to the Mayor’s Office of Housing, alerting city officials that it had «reason to believe» Boston was improperly using its federal grant assistance.

Advertisement

According to HUD, Boston’s Fair Housing Assessment promises to «target homebuyer outreach» at «Black and Latinx families» and charges city departments with collecting racial and ethnic data «to evaluate their work through a racial equity/social justice lens.»

Boston’s Housing Strategy 2025 also states that «at least 65%» of homeownership opportunities through city initiatives should go to BIPOC (Black, indigenous, and people of color) households, according to HUD.

«The policy is clear,» the agency stated. «Financial housing assistance is not just for all low-income persons but instead ‘particularly BIPOC residents.’»

Advertisement

JUSTICE DEPARTMENT SUES PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT OVER ALLEGEDLY DISCRIMINATORY POLICIES

Turner said Thursday on X that HUD is «Breaking Up Biden’s Boston BIPOC Bash.»

«Boston pushed discriminatory housing policies in the name of DEI,» he wrote. «This warped mentality will be exposed and Boston will come into full compliance with federal law.»

Advertisement

Turner slammed the Biden administration earlier this week, telling Fox News Digital he blamed the former president’s policies for an illegal immigration and refugee crisis that rattled the housing market.

DOJ SUES MAYOR WU OVER IMMIGRATION POLICIES: BOSTON ‘AMONG THE WORST SANCTUARY OFFENDERS’

Boston City Hall with flags raised outside

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is investigating whether Boston was using federal grant assistance for «race-based preferences,» in violation of the Fair Housing Act and Title VI. (Lane Turner/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

HUD releases its «Worst Case Housing Needs Report» every two years, which assesses the state of the housing market for low-income Americans and how many lack both affordable and adequate housing.

Advertisement

Turner said there are damning findings in this year’s assessment, which he pinned on former President Joe Biden’s immigration crisis.

«The unchecked illegal immigration and open borders policies allowed by the Biden administration continue to put significant strain on housing, pricing out American families,» Turner said.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement
Scott Turner

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Scott Turner stated on Dec. 11 that Boston «has engaged in a social engineering project that intentionally advances discriminatory housing policies driven by an ideological commitment to DEI rather than merit or need.»  (Getty Images)

Fox News Digital reached out to the City of Boston for comment.

Fox News Digital’s Charles Creitz contributed to this report.

housing,politics,boston,dei

Advertisement

INTERNACIONAL

Red state auditor’s report flags Democratic governor’s ‘concerning’ spending on ‘luxury’ expenditures

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Kentucky’s Republican auditor Allison Ball spoke to Fox News Digital this week about a report she put out flagging concerns about lavish spending in the state’s executive branch headed up by Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear, who is widely believed to have presidential ambitions down the road.

Advertisement

Ball issued a report earlier this month outlining spending by the executive branch in fiscal year 2025 entered into the state’s system and flagging issues she believes demonstrate extravagant spending of tax dollars that «needs to stop.»

The «concerning expenditures» listed include $183,576 in out-of-state travel costs, including $7,632 for a limousine in Germany; a $17,013 dinner at a Kentucky distillery; and $360,000 for 75 people to attend a two-day conference within the Commonwealth. 

DEM GOVERNOR IN DEEP-RED STATE CALLS FOR ICE PULLOUT, TRIGGERING CLASH OVER ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY

Advertisement

«We saw some really excessive, really worrying and questionable expenditures,» Ball told Fox News Digital. 

«For example, one of the things we saw is that the governor and the tourism cabinet spent about $338,000 on a nonprofit called First Saturday in May. So, for people who are not from Kentucky, the first Saturday in May is when the [Kentucky] Derby happens. So, that money actually went to events for VIPs to come in and celebrate and observe the Derby.»

Gov. Andy Beshear responded to a report from the state auditor on potentially problematic spending as «political.» (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley, File)

Advertisement

Ball says the spending data was all entered by the executive branch into the Commonwealth’s eMARS system, and while she understands elected officials need to spend more on security than typical citizens, she categorized much of the spending she flagged as «luxury items.»

«I absolutely think the governor needs security. We want people to be safe. We don’t want anything to happen to our elected officials,» Ball explained. «But this is the time when you look at, OK, are you spending an excessive amount? And I think $7,000 for limo services in Germany, $5,000 to navigate the airport in Switzerland, hotels like in Beverly Hills, Aspen. 

«We even found an expenditure in the hundreds of dollars for something called the Caribou Club, which is a private club in Aspen. So, these expenses are essentially luxury items when you’re looking at where they’re at and the amount of money that’s being paid.»

Advertisement

KENTUCKY GOVERNOR TAKES HEAT FOR CITING BIBLE TO DEFEND TRANSGENDER TREATMENTS FOR CHILDREN

Kentucky State Capitol

The Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort, Ky. (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley, File)

Fox News Digital reached out to Beshear’s office for comment but did not receive a response. 

«They never asked us any questions, and you have to do that if it’s an audit report,» Beshear recently told local media. «All they did was take lines, and they didn’t ask questions because if they had gotten the answers, they couldn’t have done the political attack that it was.»

Advertisement

Ball said it’s «no surprise» when elected officials push back on reports like hers, «but my job is about transparency.» 

Ball’s report noted $39 million in spending by the executive branch’s advertising arms in various departments, over $7 million in out-of-state travel, over $23 million on in-state travel and over $16 million in trainings, conferences, food and trade shows.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear in New York City

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear attends the Clinton Global Initiative 2024 Annual Meeting at New York Hilton Midtown Sept. 24, 2024, in New York City.  (John Nacion/Getty Images)

«It’s a budget year, and this is when the General Assembly is actually crafting what money they’re going to appropriate through all levers of state government. And that’s why they asked us, this is early in the process, and they wanted to know, ‘OK, what is the executive branch spending its money on?» Ball explained. 

«And they specifically asked us about travel. They asked about conferences. They ask us about food and beverage because those are the things usually that can get out of control quick if you’re not paying close attention. So, we’re here just to provide information.»

Beshear told CNN last summer he was weighing a 2028 presidential bid, and many predict he would be a formidable candidate given his popularity governing as a Democrat in deep red Kentucky. 

Advertisement

In another CNN interview Thursday, The Hill reported that Beshear said he is still weighing a run but that he won’t make a final decision until his term as governor ends in late 2017.

«We have got to do more than just beat [President] Trump,» Beshear said. «We have got to end this division. We have got to restore the American dream. We have got to bring hope back to the American people about a brighter future.»

Advertisement

politics,kentucky,elections

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran is rebuilding nuclear sites damaged in previous U.S. strikes and «preparing for war,» despite engaging in talks with the Trump administration, according to a prominent Iranian opposition figure.

Advertisement

Alireza Jafarzadeh, deputy director of the Washington office of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), said newly released satellite images also prove the regime has accelerated its efforts to restore its «$2 trillion» uranium enrichment capabilities.

«The regime has clearly stepped up efforts to rebuild its uranium enrichment capabilities,» Jafarzadeh told Fox News Digital. «It is preparing itself for a possible war by trying to preserve its nuclear weapons program and ensure its protection.»

IRAN SAYS US MUST ‘PROVE THEY WANT TO DO A DEAL’ ON NUCLEAR TALKS IN GENEVA

Advertisement

Reconstruction activity appears to be underway at Iran’s Isfahan nuclear complex. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)

«That said, the ongoing rebuilding of Iran’s uranium enrichment capabilities is particularly alarming as the regime is now engaged in nuclear talks with the United States,» he added.

New satellite images released by Earth intelligence monitor, Planet Labs, show reconstruction activity appears to be underway at the Isfahan complex.

Advertisement

Isfahan is one of three Iranian uranium enrichment plants targeted in the U.S. military operation known as «Midnight Hammer.»

The June 22 operation involved coordinated Air Force and Navy strikes on the Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan facilities.

US POSITIONS AIRCRAFT CARRIERS, STRIKE PLATFORMS ACROSS MIDDLE EAST AS IRAN TALKS SHIFT TO OMAN

Advertisement
Isfahan nuclear complex from above.

A satellite image shows tunnel entrances covered with soil at Isfahan nuclear complex. (Vantor/Handout via Reuters)

Despite the damage, the satellite images show Iran has buried entrances to a tunnel complex at the site, according to Reuters.

Similar steps were reportedly taken at the Natanz facility, which houses two additional enrichment plants.

«These efforts in Isfahan involve rebuilding its centrifuge program and other activities related to uranium enrichment,» Jafarzadeh said.

Advertisement

The renewed movements come as Iran participated in talks with the U.S. in Geneva.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump warned that «bad things» would happen if Iran did not make a deal.

While the talks were aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, Jafarzadeh argues that for the regime, talks would be nothing more than a tactical delay.

Advertisement

TRUMP SAYS IRAN ALREADY HAS US TERMS AS MILITARY STRIKE CLOCK TICKS

Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei seated beside the Iranian flag during an address.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei «agreed to the nuclear talks as it would give the regime crucial time to avoid or limit the consequences of confrontation with the West,» according to Jafarzadeh. ( Office of the Supreme Leader of Iran via Getty Images)

«Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei agreed to the nuclear talks as it would give the regime crucial time to avoid or limit the consequences of confrontation with the West,» he said.

Jafarzadeh also described the regime spending at least «$2 trillion» on nuclear capabilities, which he said «is higher than the entire oil revenue generated since the regime came to power in Iran in 1979.» 

Advertisement

«Tehran is trying to salvage whatever has remained of its nuclear weapons program and quickly rebuild it,» he said. «It has heavily invested in the nuclear weapons program as a key tool for the survival of the regime.»

IRANIAN OFFICIAL SAYS NUCLEAR TALKS WILL CONTINUE AFTER US, TEHRAN NEGOTIATIONS HAD ‘A GOOD START’ IN OMAN

Nantaz site with new roof.

Satellite imagery taken on January 30, 2026, shows a new roof over a previously destroyed building at Natanz nuclear site. (2026 PLANET LABS PBC/Handout via Reuters)

Jafarzadeh is best known for publicly revealing the existence of Iran’s Natanz nuclear site in 2002, which led to inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and intensified global scrutiny of Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

Advertisement

«The insistence of the Iranian regime during the nuclear talks on maintaining its uranium enrichment capabilities, while rebuilding its damaged sites, is a clear indication that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has no plans to abandon its nuclear weapons program,» he said.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The National Council of Resistance of Iran, led by Maryam Rajavi, exposed for the first time the nuclear sites in Natanz, Arak, Fordow and more than 100 other sites and projects, Jafarzadeh said, «despite a massive crackdown by the regime on this movement.»

Advertisement



iran,nuclear proliferation,middle east,ali khamenei,sanctions,nuclear terror

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

El sector privado en Cuba empieza a importar combustible para uso particular, pese al asedio petrolero de Estados Unidos

Published

on



Pequeñas empresas privadas cubanas han empezado a importar directamente combustible en pleno asedio petrolero de EE.UU., mientras firmas internacionales asentadas en la isla exploran esta vía.

La opción, una bocanada de aire frente a la asfixia energética inducida por Washington, está sin embargo amenazada tanto por la farragosa burocracia cubana, con sus múltiples condiciones y retrasos, como por la sombra ambigua de las sanciones estadounidenses.

Advertisement

Además, los volúmenes que se están contratando son en todo caso para necesidades empresariales concretas y no servirían de ninguna forma para atender las necesidades energéticas del país, de unos 110.000 barriles diarios (de los que 40.000 proceden de pozos propios).

Según confirmaron varias fuentes, el Gobierno cubano ha celebrado encuentros en los últimos días con empresarios extranjeros y emprendedores locales para explicarles cómo podría realizarse esa gestión, mientras la parálisis económica y social que atenaza progresivamente la isla.

Se trata de concretar el anuncio que hizo en noviembre pasado el ministro de Comercio Exterior e Inversión Extranjera, Oscar Pérez-Oliva, de que «en breve» iba a permitirse a empresas extranjeras y mixtas importar su propio combustible, «cuando sea necesario».

Advertisement

Hasta el momento el Estado cubano detentaba el monopolio de la importación de petróleo y combustibles -principalmente mediante tanqueros propios y rentados- y de la venta minorista de productos refinados dentro de la isla.

Varios participantes en estas reuniones con responsables del Gobierno explicaron que la importación de depósitos de combustible dentro de buques cargueros sería similar a la de cualquier otro producto en el exterior (a través de una importadora estatal), un proceso habitualmente lento.

Sin embargo, añadieron, habría que cumplir algunos requisitos extra de seguridad, por tratarse de material peligroso, y contar en destino con una localización segura también certificable o almacenarlos en empresas estatales ya acondicionadas para este uso.

Advertisement

Las autoridades cubanas recalcaron a los empresarios que el combustible que puedan importar particulares es exclusivamente para autoconsumo y no está permitida la reventa.

Según explicaron algunos interesados, la importación se realizaría en depósitos cilíndricos de acero inoxidable del tipo isotanque T11, que tienen capacidad para entre 21.000 y 26.000 litros. Estos dispositivos pueden instalarse en cualquier carguero porque se insertan en una estructura metálica de medidas estándar.

Varias empresas con sede en Estados Unidos tienen licencias específicas para exportar diésel en isotanques a Cuba, pero exclusivamente para clientes privados. No obstante, algunos empresarios en Cuba apuntan que están explorando opciones de compra en otros países de la región.

Advertisement

No es evidente que la importación de combustible por el sector privado en Cuba esté incluida dentro de la orden ejecutiva que firmó el pasado 29 de enero el presidente de EE.UU., Donald Trump.

El texto, específicamente, prevé aranceles «a los bienes importados a Estados Unidos que son productos de cualquier otro país que directa o indirectamente venda o provea de alguna forma petróleo a Cuba».

EFE solicitó a la Embajada de Estados Unidos en Cuba una aclaración formal, para confirmar si la expresión «a Cuba» incluía también a empresas privadas -locales o internacionales establecidas en la isla- que no estén controladas por el Estado cubano o su red de empresas.

Advertisement

La legación diplomática respondió escuetamente remitiendo al texto original de la orden ejecutiva.

Fuentes involucradas en este comercio indican a EFE a este respecto que han recibido «señales» de que la administración estadounidense está dispuesta a tolerar estos envíos.

En este mismo contexto, el semanario británico The Economist publicaba en su último número que la administración estadounidense contempla permitir la entrada a la isla de un cierto volumen de combustibles para atender necesidades básicas.

Advertisement

La presión de EE.UU. está paralizando progresivamente la economía cubana, que se encontraba ya en su peor crisis en décadas. Tan solo en los últimos cinco años, la isla ha perdido un 15 % de su producto interno bruto (PIB) y más de un 20 % de su población. La desigualdad y la pobreza se han disparado.

El Gobierno cubano ha puesto en marcha un duro plan de contingencia para tratar de subsistir sin petróleo importado, algo insostenible a medio plazo. Los hospitales están en servicios mínimos, el transporte público prácticamente desaparecido y el combustible severamente racionado.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Tendencias