Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

Federal court clears California’s new House map boosting Democrats ahead of 2026 midterms

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

California can move forward with a new U.S. House map that would boost Democrats’ chances in the 2026 midterms, a federal court ruled Wednesday.

Advertisement

A three-judge panel in Los Angeles ruled 2-1 to deny requests from both state Republicans and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to block the map from being used, giving Democrats a realistic chance at flipping up to five House seats in the midterm election.

In November, California voters passed a ballot initiative, known as Proposition 50, dramatically altering the state’s congressional districts. The pursuit of the new map was largely viewed as an attempt to offset recent redistricting in Texas, which generated more Republican-leaning districts.

«Republicans’ weak attempt to silence voters failed,» California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement. «California voters overwhelmingly supported Prop 50 – to respond to Trump’s rigging in Texas – and that is exactly what this court concluded.»

Advertisement

FEDERAL JUDGES BLOCK TEXAS FROM USING REDRAWN CONGRESSIONAL MAP

California Gov. Gavin Newsom praised a federal court decision allowing the state to move forward with a new congressional map. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

The complaint challenged California’s efforts to redraw the state’s congressional map, with DOJ Civil Rights Division lawyers arguing that race was «used as a proxy» to justify creating districts that benefit Democrats.

Advertisement

But California Democrats argued that the map was legal because it was drawn for partisan advantage.

In 2019, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that partisan gerrymandering is a political question and not one for federal courts to decide. On Wednesday, the California panel sided with the state’s argument, saying there was insufficient evidence that the maps were drawn based on race.

RED STATE MOVES FORWARD ON TRUMP-BACKED PUSH FOR NEW CONGRESSIONAL MAP

Advertisement
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks about Proposition 50

California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks next to his wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom after California’s special election on Proposition 50, a measure that would temporarily redraw congressional districts, at the California Democratic Party Headquarters in Sacramento, California, Nov. 4, 2025.  (REUTERS/Fred Greaves)

«After reviewing the evidence, we conclude that it was exactly as one would think: it was partisan,» the judges wrote.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Lee, an appointee of President Donald Trump, said in dissent that at least one district was drawn using race as a factor «to curry favor with Latino groups and voters.»

Still, Republicans are expected to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court.

Advertisement

HIGH-STAKES MAP FIGHT: HERE ARE THE NEXT BATTLEGROUNDS IN THE TRUMP VS. DEMOCRATS REDISTRICTING SHOWDOWN

Former Vice President Kamala Harris rallies for "Prop 50"

Former Vice President Kamala Harris attends a Yes on Proposition 50 rally at the Los Angeles Convention Center Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025 in Los Angeles, California.  (Eric Thayer/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

The panel’s ruling constitutes a major victory for Democrats following the implementation of new congressional maps in several Republican-led states.

Last year, Missouri moved forward with congressional redistricting that favors Republicans, and North Carolina’s Republican-controlled legislature signed off on a new map that may lead to an additional congressional victory for the GOP.

Advertisement

«Californians overwhelmingly voted in favor of Proposition 50. Today’s decision upholds the will of the people. It also means that, to date, every single challenge against Proposition 50 has failed,» California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a statement. «I couldn’t be prouder of my team for successfully defending this ballot initiative in court on behalf of Governor Newsom and Secretary of State Weber. We remain confident in the legality of Proposition 50.»

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

House maps are typically redrawn every 10 years following the census, and the process rarely takes place mid-decade. California relies on an independent commission to draw maps, while other states, including Texas, allow lawmakers to lead the effort.

Advertisement

To retake control of the House in the midterms, Democrats need to pick up only a handful of seats. Republicans currently hold a narrow majority with 218 seats to Democrats’ 213.

Fox News Digital’s Paul Steinhauser, Ashley Oliver and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

california,gavin newsom,midterm elections,house of representatives politics

Advertisement

INTERNACIONAL

Leavitt scoffs at reporter who questioned when Trump has been ‘falsely called racist’: ‘You’re kidding?’

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt on Wednesday pushed back on a reporter who asked for examples of when the president had been «falsely called racist.»

Advertisement

«Yesterday, in his statement about Jesse Jackson, the president said ‘despite the fact that I’m falsely and consistently called a racist by the scoundrels and lunatics and the radical left Democrats all, it was always my pleasure to help Jesse along the way.’ Where or when does the president believe he’s been falsely called racist?» the reporter asked.

Leavitt responded to the reporter in disbelief and asked if he was «kidding,» to which the reporter replied that he was not.

«I will pull you [a] plethora of examples. I’m going to get my team in that room to start, going through the Internet of radical Democrats throughout the years and who have accused this president falsely of being a racist. And I’m sure there’s many people in this room and on network television across the country who have accused him of the same. In fact, I know that because I’ve seen it with my own eyes,» Leavitt said.

Advertisement

WHITE HOUSE BLASTS TOP HOUSE DEMOCRAT AS A ‘BUFFOON’ AFTER JEFFRIES BRANDS STEPHEN MILLER A ‘HATEFUL BIGOT’

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks during a news briefing in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House on Feb. 18, 2026, in Washington, D.C. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The press secretary noted that the president was scheduled on Wednesday to hold an event marking Black History Month. Additionally, she listed a number of policy accomplishments aimed at benefiting both the Black community and Americans as a whole, such as the administration’s commitment to funding Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and the establishment of Trump accounts.

Advertisement

«So, there is a lot this president has done for all Americans, regardless of race, and he has absolutely been falsely called and smeared as a racist. And I’m happy to provide you those receipts, and we gladly will right after this briefing,» Leavitt added.

Donald Trump and Rev Jesse Jackson

Donald Trump and Jesse Jackson attend Tyson-Spinks Boxing Match on June 27, 1988, at the Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Ron Galella/Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images)

TRUMP REMEMBERS JESSE JACKSON AS ‘GOOD MAN,’ ‘FORCE OF NATURE’

The reporter was referring to President Donald Trump’s post regarding the death of Reverend Jesse Jackson, who died on Tuesday at the age of 84. The president, who posted several pictures of himself with Jackson, remembered the late reverend as a «good man with lots of personality, grit and ‘street smarts’» before making the remarks about being falsely labeled as a racist.

Advertisement

Trump noted that he supported and «provided office space» for Jackson and the reverend’s civil rights organization, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. Additionally, Trump said that he had responded to Jackson’s «request for help getting criminal justice reform passed and signed, when no other president would even try.» The president also touted his own work to secure long-term funding for HBCUs.

«Jesse was a force of nature like few others before him,» Trump said before seemingly taking a swipe at the reverend over his support of former President Barack Obama’s candidacy.

Donald Trump and Jesse Jackson

Donald Trump and The Reverend Jesse Jackson with singers from the hotel lounge act at the Tyson vs Holmes pre-fight party at Trump Plaza Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, N.J., Jan. 22, 1988.  (Jeffrey Asher/ Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

«He loved his family greatly, and to them I send my deepest sympathies and condolences. Jesse will be missed!» Trump added.

The president has often faced accusations of racism from prominent Democrats, including his most recent predecessor, former President Joe Biden. Trump has long pushed back against the notion, highlighting his relationships with prominent Black figures during his celebrity days and his policy moves during his time as president.

Advertisement

politics,donald trump,white house

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

UN Security Council moves up session on Gaza, West Bank ahead of Trump’s inaugural Board of Peace meeting

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The United Nations Security Council will convene a high-level meeting Wednesday to address the fragile Gaza ceasefire and Israel’s expanding operations in the West Bank as diplomatic attention shifts toward President Donald Trump’s upcoming inaugural Board of Peace meeting.

Advertisement

The session in New York was initially planned for Thursday but was moved up, according to The Associated Press, after Trump announced that his newly formed Board of Peace would meet the same day, creating scheduling conflicts for diplomats expected to attend both events.

The AP reported that the foreign ministers of the United Kingdom, Israel, Jordan, Egypt and Indonesia are expected to attend the monthly Middle East meeting of the 15-member U.N. Security Council.

Several Arab and Islamic nations requested the session last week to address the situation in Gaza and Israel’s expansion of settlements in the West Bank before some of their leaders head to Washington.

Advertisement

TRUMP ENVOY WARNS HAMAS OF ‘SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES’ AS ADMIN LAUNCHES PHASE TWO OF GAZA PLAN

Palestinian U.N. Ambassador Riyad Mansour speaks to the media on behalf of the Arab Group at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City Feb. 17, 2026. (Zamek/VIEWpress via Getty Images)

Trump announced Monday that member states of his newly formed Board of Peace have pledged more than $5 billion toward humanitarian aid and reconstruction efforts in Gaza.

Advertisement

He said participating countries have also committed thousands of personnel to an international stabilization force and local policing efforts aimed at maintaining security in the enclave.

In outlining the initiative, Trump said Hamas must adhere to what he described as a commitment to «full and immediate demilitarization,» framing the effort as a broader push toward regional stability.

TRUMP LAUNCHES PHASE 2 OF GAZA PEACE PLAN — BUT HAMAS DISARMAMENT REMAINS THE REAL TEST

Advertisement
Shoppers purchase food at an open-air market set amid the rubble of a damaged building in Gaza City.

Palestinians shop for food beneath a destroyed building in Gaza City’s Zawiya market Feb. 18, 2026, during the first days of Ramadan. (Omar Al-Qattaa/AFP via Getty Images)

Israel formally joined the Board of Peace Feb. 11 ahead of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s meeting with Trump at the White House.

Netanyahu was not present at the initial ceremony held in Davos, Switzerland, in late January, where leaders from 17 countries, including presidents and other senior government officials from Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Central and Southeast Asia signed the founding charter alongside Trump.

Netanyahu later agreed to join the initiative after previously raising concerns about the composition of the Gaza executive board, particularly the roles of Qatar and Turkey.

Advertisement
Donald Trump holding up a signed charter while standing in the center of a group.

President Donald Trump, center, holds up a signed Board of Peace charter during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 22, 2026. (Evan Vucci/AP Photo)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

A number of other countries were invited by the White House to participate, including Russia, Belarus, France, Germany, Vietnam, Finland, Ukraine, Ireland, Greece and China. 

Poland and Italy said they would not join the board.

Advertisement



united nations,middle east,donald trump

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

La guerra en Ucrania: cómo los drones cambiaron una ciudad rusa desde el comienzo de la invasión hace cuatro años

Published

on


Antes de partir al frente en Ucrania, Shaman presenta en un centro comercial de Vorónezh un dron, uno de los artefactos omnipresentes en el campo de batalla que han cambiado el día a día de esta ciudad rusa.

Con la cara oculta tras un pasamontañas, el joven de 19 años promete a la AFP «defender» a su país, que lanzó una ofensiva a gran escala contra su vecino hace casi cuatro años.

Advertisement

Unos 500 kilómetros al sur de Moscú, Vorónezh está más cerca de la línea del frente en el este de Ucrania que de la capital rusa.

Los frecuentes ataques con drones ucranianos en represalia y los anuncios de reclutamiento del ejército han cambiado la vida de esta ciudad de un millón de habitantes.

Antes de marcharse, Shaman -su nombre de guerra- atiende un puesto del «Club Militar-Deportivo Cosaco Berkut» en el centro comercial.

Advertisement

«Tengo esperanza»

Su objetivo «no es necesariamente» convencer a los adolescentes para que se alisten, declaró a la AFP. «Cada uno elige su propio camino, según sus intereses», afirmó. Él se define como «patriota».

En los últimos cuatro años, esta palabra ha adquirido una carga política. Se utiliza para alabar a los soldados y a quienes apoyan abiertamente al presidente ruso Vladimir Putin y su ofensiva.

Advertisement

Incluso el aspecto de Vorónezh ha cambiado drásticamente desde febrero de 2022.

En las carreteras nevadas que conducen a los suburbios, los sistemas antiaéreos asoman detrás de las redes de camuflaje.

En el centro, hay murales en honor a los soldados muertos en el campo de batalla y carteles propagandísticos llaman a alistarse en el ejército.

Advertisement

Un centro de reclutamiento ofrece a los futuros soldados un pago único de 2,5 millones de rublos (32.500 dólares) si se alistan, lo que equivale a tres años del salario medio regional.

Estas sumas han permitido a Rusia mantener una ventaja en efectivos sobre Ucrania, a pesar de las enormes bajas.

El año pasado, 422.000 personas se alistaron en el ejército, según el expresidente y secretario adjunto del Consejo de Seguridad, Dmitri Medvédev. Fue un 6% menos que en 2024.

Advertisement

A Liudmila, una mujer de 64 años con ojeras pronunciadas, solo hay una cosa que le importa: su hijo, desaparecido en combate desde hace cuatro meses. «Es muy duro. Tengo esperanza, porque sin esperanza…», reconoce con los ojos llenos de lágrimas y sin poder terminar la frase. ¿Lo mataron? ¿Lo capturaron? Ella no lo sabe.

«Aterrador»

Rusia no dice oficialmente cuántos combatientes ha perdido. Siguiendo los obituarios locales y los anuncios de familiares, la BBC y el medio independiente Mediazona han identificado al menos a 168.000 soldados rusos muertos desde que Moscú lanzó su ofensiva.

Advertisement
El lanzamiento de un dron GARA para reconocimiento aéreo en un lugar no revelado cerca del frente en la región de Donetsk, este de Ucrania. Foto EFE

Para mantenerse ocupada, Liudmila coopera como voluntaria en una organización que cose equipo de camuflaje para los soldados.

A pesar del dinero que ofrecen, Roman lo tiene claro: «No, no, por ninguna suma» se iría a la guerra. Este conductor de tractor de 48 años se niega a dar su apellido como el resto de las personas con las que ha hablado la AFP.

Acurrucado en una tienda de campaña en un río congelado, Roman quiere «relajarse», «desconectar» y «pensar en pescar» para escapar del miedo a los ataques de drones ucranianos.

«Me despierto más a menudo por las explosiones», dice. «Tenemos sirenas y explosiones todos los días. Por supuesto que es aterrador», cuenta.

Advertisement

Moscú ha bombardeado a diario Ucrania durante meses. Una reciente ola paralizó el sistema energético de Kiev, lo que dejó a cientos de miles de personas sin calefacción bajo temperaturas glaciales.

En represalia, el ejército ucraniano ha disparado drones contra Rusia. Apunta principalmente a la infraestructura portuaria y energética. El mes pasado una persona murió en un ataque en Vorónezh.

Calle de la Paz

Advertisement

La región de Vorónezh, que rodea la ciudad y limita con una parte de Ucrania conquistada por Moscú, es una de las «más frecuentemente» atacadas desde el aire, afirmó el mes pasado la comisionada rusa para los derechos humanos, Tatiana Moskalkova.

En medio de la plétora de carteles del ejército, hay letreros más pequeños que indican que no todos comparten el fervor patriótico a favor de la guerra.

Después de que Rusia lanzara su ofensiva, el artista Mijaíl colocó pequeñas placas de cerámica en edificios y muros con llamamientos a la paz.

Advertisement

Se parecen a las placas de la era soviética que llevaban escritos mensajes como «Paz» o «Amistad». Era parte de la propaganda de la época.

«Quería recordar a la gente la narrativa de nuestras abuelas, abuelos y bisabuelos, quienes a lo largo de mi infancia decían que la guerra es aterradora», explica a AFP este joven de 28 años, conocido por el apodo de Noi.

Pero Rusia prohíbe el activismo antibélico y sus placas han sido retiradas. Excepto una, colocada en la calle de la Paz de Vorónezh.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Tendencias