INTERNACIONAL
Fiscal hawks seek millions for home district projects amid government funding debate

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
House GOP fiscal hawks have requested tens of millions of federal dollars for projects in their home districts for fiscal year 2026, an analysis by Fox News Digital has found.
It’s common practice for congressional lawmakers to request funding for specific community initiatives for the people they represent – measures called «earmarks.» Critics of such funding have often referred to it as «pork,» however.
This coming fiscal year, beginning on Oct. 1, is no different – both Republicans and Democrats have requests totaling over a billion dollars in earmarks so far.
That includes conservatives in the House of Representatives who have been known to criticize what they describe as excessive or bloated government spending.
GOP LAWMAKERS CLASH OVER STRATEGY TO AVERT GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN CRISIS
House conservatives like Reps. Lauren Boebert, Clay Higgins, center, and Andy Harris have requested millions for community funding projects in their districts. (Getty Images)
House Freedom Caucus Chair Andy Harris, R-Md., for instance, has been approved for more than $55 million in federal funding for projects in his district.
The figure includes $9 million for the Middle River Fire Company to make improvements and upgrades to its facilities, and $1 million for the development of a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
The majority of Harris’ requests are aimed at rural development in his district and the Army Corps of Engineers. Three earmarks were requested for clean water initiatives.
Harris told Fox News Digital when reached for comment on the funds, «These awards are certified to directly benefit taxpayers in the district—drawing from existing grant programs that are funded annually. It’s far better for elected members of Congress to designate where that money goes than to leave those decisions to unelected federal bureaucrats. There are no additional funds appropriated for Community Project Funding – they all fall within the agency’s appropriation.»
Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., a self-described deficit hawk, was approved for just over $10 million so far. That includes over $4 million for Flexible Neutron Source, a research tool at the University of Tennessee, and $2 million for veterans housing in Knox County.
LONGTIME BIDEN AIDE SAYS HE STOOD TO EARN UP TO $8M HAD PRESIDENT WON RE-ELECTION
House Freedom Caucus member Rep. Clay Higgins, R-La., was approved for more than $18 million in earmarks – with the largest request being $4,200,000 for the Silicon Bayou Semiconductor Technology Center at the University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
Higgins’ total sum also includes funding for Army Corps of Engineers projects, as well as rural hospital, law enforcement and clean water initiatives.
He also submitted a joint request with House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., for $131,500,000 toward a levee and floodgate system, called the Morganza to the Gulf of Mexico Project, aimed at storm damage prevention.
Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., another member of the House Freedom Caucus, got nearly $15 million in community funding projects approved, chiefly aimed at clean water programs and highway infrastructure.
Boebert was vehemently against earmarks when she first came to Congress. Her opinion has changed since then, however, due to Republican-led changes to the process – which she explained in a 2023 op-ed in the Aspen Times.

Rep. Thomas Massie got $5 million approved for airport improvements. (Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)
She made a similar argument to Fox News Digital when reached for this story: «I fought for real reforms to the appropriations process in 2023 to make sure my constituents’ tax dollars go to necessary infrastructure projects, not the wasteful and corrupt spending schemes that took place under Nancy Pelosi.»
«My district’s roads are crumbling, and our water keeps getting sent to California, where it’s wasted, because Colorado’s politicians won’t invest in water storage or infrastructure investments. My constituents pay federal taxes just like everyone else, and they should see their dollars benefit their communities instead of being sent to sanctuary cities like Denver,» Boebert said.
Conservative libertarian Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., also got some community funding, though only totaling $5 million approved so far. Massie’s requests so far are all focused on construction and rehabilitation for Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.
Massie told Fox News Digital of the funding, «I serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee because I believe the federal government has a legitimate role in transportation infrastructure, and the legislature has the constitutional authority to direct the funding of those projects.»
«In fact, I have voted in the GOP conference more than once to restore congressionally directed spending in the context of transportation infrastructure,» Massie said.
And Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., chair of the subcommittee for Delivering on Government Efficiency (DOGE), got nearly $10 million in earmarks approved for her rural-suburban Georgia district.
Those funding requests are largely comprised of infrastructure initiatives, clean water programs, and law enforcement-related projects for Floyd County and other areas.
148 DEMOCRATS BACK NONCITIZEN VOTING IN DC AS GOP RAISES ALARM ABOUT FOREIGN AGENTS
While known as a fiscal hawk, it’s worth noting that the majority of Greene’s criticism of government spending is directed at foreign aid.
Greene said she was glad to be able to provide for her district when reached for comment by Fox News Digital.
«I’m proud to bring federal tax dollars back home to Northwest Georgia – where they belong. My constituents work hard, and for far too long, Washington has sent their money to fund foreign wars, foreign governments and globalist pet projects. When I first got to Congress, I opposed the earmark process because I believed it was a tool of the Swamp. But after seeing how it works today, I’ve realized that if we don’t fight to bring money back to our districts, the money goes elsewhere,» Greene said.
«I’ll never support billions for Ukraine or other endless wars, but I will absolutely fight to secure critical investments in Northwest Georgia, from water systems and sewer expansions to public safety equipment, roads and broadband.»

Greene said she was glad to be able to provide for her district. (Reuters/Jim Bourg)
The aforementioned lawmakers’ spending requests are far from an exhaustive total list across the entire House, but fiscal conservatives’ earmark proposals show just how widespread the practice is within Congress – on both sides of the aisle.
Republicans have made some changes to the process as of FY2025, however, to narrow what’s allowed.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
In an effort to block out funding requests for «woke» or socially progressive policies, GOP appropriators have barred earmarks for most nonprofit organizations.
That move likely saved hundreds of millions of dollars in annual spending, but Democrats decried it as a block on federal funding for LGBT initiatives.
Fox News Digital reached out to spokespeople for Burchett and Higgins for comment but did not receive a response.
house of representatives politics,politics,budget house of representatives politics,government shutdown
INTERNACIONAL
Caso Andrés: la policía peina cada rincón de su antigua mansión tras el operativo supersecreto para detenerlo

Una operación secreta
Un convoy discreto hasta Sandringham
Como un sospechoso ordinario
Huellas dactilares y foto
INTERNACIONAL
What America’s most powerful warship brings to the Middle East as Iran tensions surge

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The Pentagon is deploying the USS Gerald R. Ford to the Middle East, creating a rare two-carrier presence in the region as tensions with Iran rise and questions swirl about possible U.S. military action.
The Ford will reinforce the USS Abraham Lincoln already operating in theater, significantly expanding American airpower at a moment of heightened regional uncertainty.
While officials have not announced imminent action, the dual-carrier presence increases the Pentagon’s flexibility — from deterrence patrols to sustained strike operations — should diplomacy falter.
The largest aircraft carrier in the world
The Gerald R. Ford is the largest and most advanced aircraft carrier ever built.
Commissioned in 2017, the nuclear-powered warship stretches more than 1,100 feet and displaces more than 100,000 tons of water. It serves as a floating air base that can operate in international waters without relying on host-nation approval — a key advantage in politically sensitive theaters.
Powered by two nuclear reactors, the ship has virtually unlimited range and endurance and is designed to serve for decades as the backbone of U.S. naval power projection.
The world’s largest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford, steams alongside the replenishment oiler Laramie. (U.S. Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)
WORLD’S LARGEST AIRCRAFT CARRIER HEADS TO MIDDLE EAST AS IRAN NUCLEAR TENSIONS SPIKE DRAMATICALLY
How much airpower does it carry?
A typical air wing aboard the Ford includes roughly 75 aircraft, though the exact mix depends on mission requirements.
Those aircraft can include F/A-18 Super Hornets, stealth F-35C Joint Strike Fighters, EA-18G Growler electronic warfare jets, E-2D Hawkeye early warning aircraft and MH-60 helicopters.
In a potential conflict with Iran, several of those platforms would be central.
The F-35C is designed to penetrate contested airspace and carry out precision strikes against heavily defended targets. The Growler specializes in jamming enemy radar and communications — a critical capability against Iran’s layered air defense systems.
The E-2D extends surveillance hundreds of miles, helping coordinate air and missile defense.
Together, they give commanders options ranging from deterrence patrols to sustained strike operations.

An F-18E fighter jet takes off from the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford as it sails during NATO Neptune Strike 2025 exercise on Sept. 24, 2025, in the North Sea. (Jonathan Klein/AFP via Getty Images)
Built for higher combat tempo
What separates the Ford from earlier carriers is its ability to generate more sorties over time.
Instead of traditional steam catapults, it uses an electromagnetic aircraft launch system, or EMALS, allowing aircraft to launch more smoothly and at a faster pace. The system is designed to reduce stress on jets and increase operational tempo.
The ship also features advanced arresting gear and a redesigned flight deck that allows more aircraft to be staged and cycled efficiently.
In a high-intensity scenario — particularly one involving missile launches or rapid escalation — the ability to launch and recover aircraft quickly can be decisive.
How it compares to the Lincoln
While both the Ford and the Abraham Lincoln are 100,000-ton, nuclear-powered supercarriers capable of carrying roughly 60 aircraft to 75 aircraft, they represent different generations of naval design.
The Lincoln is a Nimitz-class carrier commissioned in 1989 and part of a fleet that has supported decades of operations in the Middle East. The Ford is the Navy’s next-generation carrier and the lead ship of its class.
The key difference is efficiency and output.
The Ford was built to generate a higher sustained sortie rate using its electromagnetic launch system, along with a redesigned flight deck and upgraded power systems. In practical terms, both ships bring substantial strike capability — but the Ford is designed to launch and recover aircraft faster over extended operations, giving commanders greater flexibility if tensions escalate.

USS Gerald R. Ford pictured in the Mediterranean Sea. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)
IRAN SIGNALS NUCLEAR PROGRESS IN GENEVA AS TRUMP CALLS FOR FULL DISMANTLEMENT
How it defends itself
The Ford does not sail alone. It operates as the centerpiece of a carrier strike group that typically includes guided-missile destroyers, cruisers and attack submarines.
Those escort ships provide layered air and missile defense, anti-submarine protection and additional strike capability.
The carrier itself carries defensive systems including Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles, Rolling Airframe Missiles and the Phalanx Close-In Weapon System — designed to intercept incoming threats at close range.
That defensive posture is especially relevant in the Middle East.
Iran has invested heavily in anti-ship ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, armed drones, naval mines and fast-attack craft operated by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The Gulf region presents a dense and complex threat environment, even for advanced U.S. warships.

The world’s largest warship, U.S. aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford, on its way out of the Oslofjord at Nesodden and Bygdoy, Norway, Sept. 17, 2025. (NTB/Lise Aserud via Reuters)
Why two carriers matter
With both the Ford and the Lincoln in theater, commanders gain more than just added firepower. Two carriers allow the U.S. to sustain a higher tempo of operations, distribute aircraft across multiple areas, or maintain continuous presence if one ship needs to reposition or resupply.
Dual-carrier deployments are relatively uncommon and typically coincide with periods of heightened regional tension.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The timing — as negotiations with Tehran continue — underscores the strategic message. Carriers are often deployed not only to fight wars, but to prevent them.
By positioning both ships in the region, Washington is signaling that if diplomacy falters, military options will already be in place.
conflicts defense,us navy,iran,middle east,pentagon
INTERNACIONAL
Trump dijo que desclasificará la información secreta del Gobierno de EE.UU. sobre «los extraterrestres y ovnis»

Donald Trump anunció que ordenará a las agencias federales de Estados Unidos publicar documentos clasificados sobre “vida extraterrestre” y “ovnis”.
El presidente eligió su red social, Truth, para lanzar la promesa y aseguró que el proceso incluirá archivos sobre fenómenos aéreos no identificados (UAP) y objetos voladores no identificados (UFOs), además de cualquier otra información relevante.
Leé también: Trump aseguró que Obama reveló información clasificada cuando habló de la existencia de extraterrestres
“En vista del gran interés mostrado, ordenaré al secretario de Defensa, Pete Hegseth, y a otros departamentos y agencias relevantes que inicien el proceso de identificación y publicación de archivos gubernamentales relacionados con vida extraterrestre, fenómenos aéreos no identificados y objetos voladores no identificados, así como cualquier otra información relacionada con estos asuntos altamente complejos, pero extremadamente interesantes e importantes”, escribió Trump en su mensaje.
Cruce con Obama y acusaciones de información clasificada
Horas antes, Trump apuntó contra Barack Obama y lo acusó de revelar información clasificada sobre alienígenas durante una entrevista en un popular podcast. “Son reales, pero no los he visto y no los tienen guardados en… el Área 51”, le dijo al presentador Brian Tyler Cohen al referirse a esa instalación secreta y que es centro de muchas teorías conspirativas sobre los ovnis.
El expresidente demócrata Barack Obama causó revuelo al decir en un podcast que los extraterrestres «son reales». (Foto: EFE/EPA/Micheal Reynolds)
“No hay una instalación subterránea. A menos que exista una conspiración enorme y se lo hayan ocultado al presidente de Estados Unidos”, agregó.
Las declaraciones de Obama generaron revuelo en redes sociales y alimentaron la expectativa de quienes creen en la existencia de vida fuera de la Tierra.
El exmandatario demócrata intentó bajar el tono y, en un comunicado, sostuvo: “El universo es tan vasto que hay muchas probabilidades de que contenga otras formas de vida. Pero las distancias entre los sistemas solares son tan grandes que la probabilidad de que hayamos sido visitados por extraterrestres es baja, y durante mi presidencia no vi ninguna evidencia de que extraterrestres hayan contactado con nosotros. ¡De verdad!”.
Al ser consultado por periodistas a bordo del Air Force One, Trump insistió en que Obama “proporcionó información clasificada; y se supone que no debe hacerlo”.
Sin embargo, evitó responder si eso significa que los alienígenas existen y deslizó que podría “sacar de apuros” a su antecesor desclasificando los archivos, aunque no dio detalles sobre cómo ni cuándo lo haría.
Una promesa en medio de sospechas y cortinas de humo
Como suele ocurrir con Trump, no está claro si cumplirá con su promesa ni de qué manera piensa hacerlo. Tampoco se sabe cuánto de “cortina de humo” hay en el anuncio, justo cuando otros temas sensibles, como el caso Epstein, dominan la agenda mediática en Estados Unidos.
Lo cierto es que el interés por los ovnis y la vida extraterrestre creció en los últimos años. Según una encuesta de YouGov de noviembre pasado, el 56% de los estadounidenses cree que “los alienígenas visitaron la Tierra”.
El Congreso y los testimonios sobre ovnis
El tema no es nuevo en la política estadounidense. El Congreso realizó varias audiencias sobre ovnis, y en el verano de 2023 escuchó a testigos clave como David Fravor (comandante retirado de la Marina), Ryan Graves (expiloto de la Armada) y David Grusch (exoficial de inteligencia de la Fuerza Aérea), quien afirmó que el Pentágono tiene partes de naves alienígenas y “restos no humanos”.
Leé también: Así cayó el príncipe Andrés: su vínculo con Epstein, títulos reales perdidos y un arresto histórico
El objetivo de esas audiencias fue presionar al Pentágono para que difunda información clasificada, bajo el argumento de que se trata de una cuestión de seguridad nacional.
Algunos legisladores, como Tim Burchett (Tennessee), insisten en que los UAP pueden ser naves extraterrestres, pero también globos espía, artefactos de potencias rivales como China y Rusia, chatarra aeroespacial, satélites de Elon Musk o simples ilusiones ópticas.
Una fascinación que viene de lejos
La obsesión de Estados Unidos por los ovnis se remonta a 1947, cuando el piloto Kenneth Arnold describió una cadena de objetos brillantes sobre el Monte Rainier, en Seattle, y popularizó el término “platillo volador”, según re4cordó el diario El País.
En 2017, un artículo de The New York Times reveló la existencia de un programa secreto del Pentágono que desde 2007 estudia los avistamientos militares de UAP. Tras esa publicación, el Departamento de Defensa decidió en 2020 divulgar videos de encuentros de pilotos militares con objetos voladores no identificados, que ya circulaban por internet.
Donald Trump, ovnis, extraterrestres, Barack Obama
POLITICA3 días agoReforma laboral bomba: menos indemnización, más horas y despidos más fáciles — el cambio que puede sacudir el empleo en Argentina
ECONOMIA2 días agoAyuda Escolar Anual: a cuánto asciende, donde se tramita y quien puede cobrarla
POLITICA3 días agoEl Gobierno endurece las medidas de seguridad y control en la marcha prevista contra la reforma laboral en el Congreso


















