INTERNACIONAL
New Navy chief ‘regrets’ costly missile strikes against Houthis, pushes for cheaper Red Sea defense

New acting Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. James Kilby said he regrets the Navy’s reliance on expensive, high-powered missiles to counter the Houthi threat in the Red Sea and pledged to push for cheaper, more efficient solutions.
Speaking at the Sea Air Space conference in National Harbor, Maryland, Kilby said he was «not concerned» about the Navy’s ability to protect its people – such as the 350 sailors aboard the USS Carney missile destroyer – or its ability to safeguard commercial shipping.
He is concerned, however, about «not having better ways to more economically attrit the threat.»
In his former role as vice chief of naval operations, Kilby said he was «focused on a high-end laser – 500kW to one megawatt – and I have regret for that.»
TRUMP ADMIN FIRES NAVY ADMIRAL AT NATO TARGETED BY CONSERVATIVE GROUP
Newly recruited Houthi fighters attend a protest march against the U.S.-led strikes on Yemen that have ebbed and flowed since Oct. 7, 2023. (AP/Osamah Abdulrahman)
«I had not been thoughtful enough to think about the UAV threat, where I think a much lesser-powered weapon would have done what we needed it to do,» Kilby said.
He promised the Navy was now working to overhaul its costly defense tactics with «much more cost-effective» technologies to counter autonomous vehicles in the Red Sea, as he called on the defense industry to more quickly produce munitions for the mission.
«We have to get after our industrial base or munitions industrial base the same way we have to get after our shipbuilding industrial base,» said Kilby.
When asked if the Navy had enough munitions to counter the Houthi threat, Kilby replied, «I think we need more munitions.»
«We certainly need more depth of magazine, if we’re going to get into a protracted conflict.»

Adm. Jim Kilby, left, visits Pensacola, Florida, in January, just before he was named acting chief of naval operations. (United States Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Zachary Melvin)
The U.S. launched a renewed offensive campaign against Yemen’s Houthi rebels last month, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Monday, «it’s about to get worse» for the Houthis.
Onlookers have long decried the disproportionate cost of taking on the Yemeni rebels. Naval missiles that run around $2 million a shot have been used to take out drones that cost the Houthis no more than $2,000. Since the March 15 offensive began, the Houthis have also downed three MQ-9 Reaper drones — each worth about $30 million.
Kilby replaced Adm. Lisa Franchetti in an acting capacity in February, after she was let go as part of a broader purge of high-level military leadership by the Trump administration. Former Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. C.Q. Brown and Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. James Slife were also relieved of command.
It is not yet clear whether Kilby will be nominated to serve as CNO in a permanent capacity and put forward for Senate confirmation.
However, Kilby said he would continue Franchetti’s goal of getting the Navy to a point where 80% of its ships are ready to deploy for combat at any given moment. Currently, he said, submarines are operating at 67% combat readiness, ships are at 68% and aircraft carriers are at 70%.
Kilby said he was pleased that «awareness seems to be higher» regarding the nation’s shipbuilding issues, adding, «it’s going to take a national effort.»
He also said he was «super focused» with the Marine Corps commandant and deputy commandant on getting the Medium Landing Ship (LSM) program back on track.
HOUTHIS SHOOT DOWN 3RD US REAPER DRONE AS TRUMP ADMINISTRATION CONTINUES DAILY AIRSTRIKES

Central Command releases an image of a ship firing at Houthis last month. (U.S. Central Command/Handout via Reuters)
The LSM program, viewed by many as crucial to moving Marines around remote islands in the Indo-Pacific in the event of conflict with China, has been plagued by delays, with work on the program stalling late last year.
The vessel is envisioned to be able to transport forces right onto a beach without any port access, where they would be able to fire anti-ship cruise missiles and collect intelligence.
Kilby said Navy and Marine Corps leadership are now looking to get approval to procure a ship to enter the testing phase of such a vessel.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
«We’re going to go through we’ll look at those requirements, make sure we produce a ship that can meet the needs of the Marine Corps and support their force design. But I’m thankful we’re doing it now not when our ship’s in construction. So I’m optimistic here. And we need that. You know, we need to have this expedition.»
Kilby also laid out his goals for sailor recruitment shortfalls. «I’ll take that 23,000-person gap, make it 18,000 this year and 8,000 the next year.»
Navy,Middle East,U.S. Defense & Military Politics,Politics,Pentagon
INTERNACIONAL
350 atletas salvadoreños competirán en el Ironman 70.3, el evento internacional más grande del año

El Ironman 70.3, que se celebrará en el lago de Ilopango este fin de semana, contará con la participación de 350 atletas salvadoreños, dentro de un total de casi 1,200 inscritos. La cifra fue confirmada por Pablo Sáenz, presidente de Latam Sports, durante la entrevista AM de Canal 10. El evento ha congregado atletas de diversas partes del mundo y se prevé el ingreso de cientos de turistas a raíz de esta competencia internacional.
“Están inscritos casi 1,200 atletas, de los cuales 350 son salvadoreños”, dijo Sáenz. El resto de los competidores proviene de diferentes puntos de Centroamérica, China, Europa y Sudamérica, lo que convierte a la competencia en una de las más diversas y con mayor proyección internacional para El Salvador en 2026.
El evento representa la primera vez que la franquicia Ironman 70.3 escoge como sede al país centroamericano. La competencia está diseñada para mostrar la capacidad organizativa y el atractivo turístico de El Salvador, además de impulsar el turismo deportivo. La presidenta del Instituto Salvadoreño de Turismo (Istu), Eny Aguiñada, que también estuvo como invitada en el mismo espacio de entrevista, afirmó que la selección del lago de Ilopango para la primera etapa de natación refleja el compromiso con el desarrollo de eventos de talla internacional y la estrategia de posicionamiento impulsada desde el gobierno.
La organización del Ironman 70.3 en El Salvador requirió un proceso complejo de postulación y preparación. Pablo Sáenz explicó que la iniciativa surgió tras constatar el potencial del país: “Escogimos este como un potencial lugar para hacer este evento. Fuimos y tocamos las puertas al gobierno, Eny y la ministra (de Turismo, Morena Valdez) nos recibieron después de varios intentos. Aquí estamos hoy y estamos muy felices. Hemos recibido un gran apoyo del gobierno. Estamos apuntando todos para el mismo camino, que es hacer grande a este país, El Salvador, ponerlo en el mapa mundial como corresponde y mostrar su belleza al mundo”, declaró Sáenz.

Entre los requisitos para albergar la competencia, Latam Sports priorizó la seguridad, la calidad de la infraestructura y la conexión vial. El propio Sáenz subrayó que San Salvador dispone de las condiciones óptimas para recibir tanto a los atletas como a los visitantes extranjeros: “La infraestructura está perfecta para abastecer a todos los atletas, sus acompañantes y todos los turistas que vengan”. puntualizó.
En conferencia de prensa, la ministra de Turismo aseguró hoy que esperan el ingreso de más de 4,000 visitantes para este evento, que ha generado fuerte expectativa entre los salvadoreños.
La prueba comenzará en el lago de Ilopango, donde los participantes deberán completar la etapa de natación en aguas tranquilas, con corrientes mínimas y visibilidad clara de las boyas a lo largo del recorrido. En la entrevista de Canal 10, Sáenz describió el entorno: “Es un lago profundo en la parte a 750 metros desde la orilla. Es profundo, poca turbulencia. Los nadadores van a tener una natación satisfactoria. Lo bueno de nadar en un lago como este, que el agua no se mueve, es que las boyas se ven desde cualquier punto. La navegación va a ser muy sencilla”.
Tras la natación, los atletas recorrerán 90 kilómetros en bicicleta sobre la carretera Panamericana, en una ruta que alterna subidas exigentes en la salida de Apulo y tramos de descensos rápidos. La etapa de ciclismo fue calificada por la organización como de dificultad media. El evento culminará con 21 kilómetros de carrera pedestre en el Centro Histórico de San Salvador, un circuito que resalta la renovación urbana y la transformación de la ciudad en los últimos años.

En cuanto al impacto económico, la presidenta del Istu anticipó que el Ministerio de Turismo presentará cifras oficiales después del evento, aunque ya se prevé un efecto positivo debido al arribo de atletas, familias y equipos de apoyo. La logística ha involucrado la coordinación de diferentes carteras de Estado, desde el Ministerio de Obras Públicas hasta el Ministerio de Salud, además de la articulación con el sector privado para garantizar la calidad de los servicios turísticos.
La competencia de Ironman 70.3 no contará en esta edición inaugural con categoría profesional. Pablo Sáenz explicó que la licencia para este primer año exige realizar una edición piloto solo con atletas amateurs, aunque se espera una disputa reñida por el primer lugar de la clasificación general.
Las autoridades locales han solicitado a los habitantes de San Salvador y zonas aledañas que consulten los canales oficiales del gobierno para conocer los cierres viales y las rutas alternas durante la realización del evento. Además, invitaron a la población a sumarse como espectadores y a brindar su apoyo a los atletas nacionales.
corresponsal:Desde San Salvador, El Salvador
INTERNACIONAL
Democrats cheer Supreme Court move blocking Trump tariffs — despite past support for trade duties

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Democrats quickly applauded the Supreme Court’s decision Friday blocking President Donald Trump’s tariff strategy, calling the duties an unfair tax on Americans, even as some in the party have previously supported using tariffs as leverage in trade disputes.
«The Supreme Court decision striking down the harmful Trump tariffs is a big victory for the American people. And another crushing defeat for the wannabe king,» House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., said in a statement.
«Trump’s illegal tariff tax just collapsed. He tried to govern by decree and stuck families with the bill. Enough chaos. End the trade war,» Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said in an X post of his own.
TRUMP SAYS TARIFFS CRITICAL TO NATIONAL SECURITY AS SUPREME COURT PREPARES LANDMARK DECISION
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., left, pictured alongside House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., right, at a press conference in January 2026. (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
The Supreme Court ruled that Trump lacks power to impose tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), a law that gives presidents powers to «regulate» transactions with foreign entities in response to «unusual and extraordinary threats.»
The Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that the law falls short of including tariff powers.
Yet several prominent Democrats have previously supported tariffs when wielded for their own policy goals.
Despite condemning Trump’s use of IEEPA in his second term, former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., once urged Congress on the House floor to use tariffs to push back on China’s growing market power.
«In terms of tariffs, it’s interesting to note that the average U.S. MFN [Most Favored Nation] tariff on Chinese goods coming into the United States is 2%, whereas the average MFN tariff on U.S. goods going into China is 35%,» Pelosi said, referring to tariffs China had imposed on the U.S.
Further, former President Joe Biden largely left Trump’s first-term tariffs against China in place with little resistance from Democrats, who controlled both chambers of Congress at the time.
Trump, in his second term, has used tariffs as a point of leverage against other countries, threatening steeper trade costs with countries that didn’t see eye-to-eye with the goals of his administration.
6 HOUSE REPUBLICANS DEFY TRUMP ON KEY AGENDA ITEM IN DEM-PUSHED VOTE

President Donald Trump displays a signed executive order imposing tariffs on imported goods during a «Make America Wealthy Again» trade announcement event in the White House Rose Garden April 2, 2025. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Trump argued his policies would enable the country to bring in more revenue while also achieving more of its goals abroad.
According to data provided by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Trump’s tariffs brought in $30.4 billion in January alone. Over the past fiscal year, the Treasury indicated the tariffs had raked in $124 billion.
At least one House Republican argued that Democrats’ celebration was ironic given their opposition to tax breaks included in the One Big, Beautiful Bill Act.
«It is interesting how Democrats are upset that foreigners are being taxed yet they are promoting tax increases across the board, and they never reduced taxes on overtime, tips, or Social Security when they were in power in 2021 and 2022,» the House GOP lawmaker said. «If they truly believed in fair trade, they would’ve pushed harder on the Chinese especially, but they clearly failed to do so.»
That past and present political reality did little to slow the good times from rolling for several congressional Democrats on Friday.
Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-Pa., the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee, praised the Supreme Court’s decision, framing tariffs as an illegitimate way to increase the country’s revenue.
«This ruling is a victory for every American family paying higher prices because of Trump’s tariff taxes. The Supreme Court rejected Trump’s attempt to impose what amounted to a national sales tax on hardworking Americans,» Boyle said in a statement.
Rep. Don Beyer, D-Va., the chairman of the New Democrat Coalition on Trade & Tariffs Task Force, echoed Boyle’s thinking.
THE ECONOMIC POLICIES SHAPING TRUMP’S RETURN TO THE WHITE HOUSE

A view of the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 9, 2026. (Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)
«[Trump] has repeatedly disregarded the Constitution to unilaterally impose sweeping tariffs without credible reason or cause, crushing American consumers and small businesses under these new taxes to help pay for giveaways to his wealthy friends. Now, at last, the Supreme Court has ruled that he broke the law to do so,» Beyer said.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said the court had sided with the longstanding criticisms from Democrats over concerns about Trump’s unilateral powers on tariffs.
«GOOD NEWS: The Supreme Court just ruled that Trump’s tariffs imposed under his ‘emergency authorities’ are unlawful. They affirmed what we’ve been saying this whole time: Only Congress has the power to impose taxes, which includes Trump’s reckless tariffs,» Jayapal said in a post to social media.
Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for comment.
congress,donald trump,economy,supreme court,politics
INTERNACIONAL
Video shows terrifying moment avalanche slams into passenger train near ski resort

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The frightening moment an avalanche thundered down a mountainside and slammed into a train traveling through the Swiss Alps was captured by a tourist.
The dramatic incident unfolded on Feb. 17 near the popular ski resort town of Zermatt in southern Switzerland’s Valais canton.
Kirsten Osborne, an Australian woman living in the U.K., was on the train with other passengers when the avalanche suddenly struck, according to Storyful.
She filmed the shocking moment a massive wall of snow barreled down the mountain toward the train.
9 CALIFORNIA SKIERS STILL MISSING AFTER AVALANCHE; 6 RESCUED
A train was struck by an avalanche near Zermatt ski resort in Switzerland’s Valais canton. (Kirsten Osborne/Storyful)
In the video, a child can be heard saying «uh-oh!» several times as the growing wave of powdery snow rapidly approaches.
Within seconds, the train is engulfed in a thick white cloud as the avalanche crashes into it and covers the window in snow, causing the train to shake.
Osborne described how passengers were left stranded for around two hours following the impact.
«We were stuck for two hours before the rescue and provided bus transport to safety,» she said.
UELI KESTENHOLZ, WHO WON SNOWBOARDING’S FIRST OLYMPIC MEDAL IN 1998, DIES IN SWISS AVALANCHE

Kirsten Osborne, an Australian woman living in the U.K., was onboard the train when the avalanche struck. (Kirsten Osborne/Storyful)
Despite the terrifying scenes, no injuries were reported.
Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn, the rail company that operates the route, has since confirmed that all passengers were safely evacuated in coordination with emergency services.
«At around 11 a.m. on Tuesday morning, another avalanche occurred between Täsch and Randa,» the company said in a statement.
«A regional MGBahn train was struck by a resulting powder-snow avalanche. No one was injured. Passengers were evacuated in cooperation with the emergency services.
«As a precaution, and in consultation with external local natural hazard specialists, MGBahn has decided to suspend operations on the St. Niklaus–Täsch route until further notice,» the company said.
CALIFORNIA AVALANCHE THAT KILLED 8 IS DEADLIEST IN STATE HISTORY

The incident happened amid dangerous conditions in the Swiss Alps. (Jean-Christophe Bott/Keystone via AP, File)
MGBahn also confirmed it was in «close contact with specialists and experts to assess the situation along the entire route network between Disentis (GR) and Zermatt (VS).»
The incident happened amid dangerous winter conditions in the Swiss Alps, where heavy snowfall has impacted the tourist season.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The avalanche strike on the train came just a day after another rail incident near the town of Goppenstein, where a train derailed, injuring five people.
Local reports indicated that an avalanche may have been a possible cause of that derailment, although investigations are ongoing.
Large areas of the western Alps have been affected this season by avalanche risks, according to The Times.
europe,avalanche,resorts
POLITICA3 días agoReforma laboral bomba: menos indemnización, más horas y despidos más fáciles — el cambio que puede sacudir el empleo en Argentina
ECONOMIA2 días agoAyuda Escolar Anual: a cuánto asciende, donde se tramita y quien puede cobrarla
POLITICA3 días agoEl Gobierno endurece las medidas de seguridad y control en la marcha prevista contra la reforma laboral en el Congreso
















