INTERNACIONAL
New York Attorney General Letitia James enters plea in federal mortgage fraud case

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
New York Attorney General Letitia James was arraigned at a federal court in Norfolk, Virginia, Friday, where she pleaded not guilty to two felony charges of bank fraud and making false statements to a financial institution.
The charges against James stem from her 2020 purchase of a home in Norfolk, Virginia. Prosecutors allege that James misled a bank about the nature of the residence in order to obtain more favorable loan conditions.
The indictment states that James misrepresented the financial institution in claiming it would be her secondary residence, and instead rented it out to a family.
According to the indictment, the lower interest rate would allow James to save nearly $19,000 over the course of the 30-year loan.
LETITIA JAMES TO BE ARRAIGNED IN VIRGINIA ON FEDERAL BANK FRAUD CHARGES TIED TO 2020 HOME PURCHASE
NY AG Letitia James and President Donald Trump (Getty Images)
James entered the not guilty plea herself to U.S. District Judge Jamar K. Walker.
She is being represented in the case by defense attorney Abbe Lowell, and by Andrew Bosse, a former assistant U.S. attorney based in Norfolk who formerly headed up the office’s criminal division.
James’ arraignment is the latest in a string of prosecutions brought against the president’s perceived political foes, despite objections from career prosecutors — some of whom have since been fired or resigned.
James, a Democrat, has long-drawn Trump’s ire after she campaigned for attorney general in 2016 largely on vows to investigate Trump’s actions and businesses.
She also successfully secured a $450 million civil fraud case against him last year, though an appeals court later tossed the financial penalty portion of the case.
«This is nothing more than a continuation of the president’s desperate weaponization of our justice system,» James said in a statement after she was indicted.
DOJ SEEKS REMOVAL OF COMEY’S DEFENSE LAWYER, CITING CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Trump denies B1 bombers flew toward Venezuela amid cartel threats. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
«These charges are baseless, and the president’s own public statements make clear that his only goal is political retribution at any cost,» she added.
Her indictment, like the indictment of former FBI Director James Comey, was presented to a grand jury by former White House aide Lindsey Halligan, whom President Donald Trump installed as the acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia last month.
Trump, in September, said he would install Halligan as the top prosecutor for the Eastern District of Virginia, replacing interim attorney Erik Siebert, who resigned under pressure to indict both Comey and James.
«No one is above the law. The charges as alleged in this case represent intentional, criminal acts and tremendous breaches of the public’s trust,» Halligan said in a statement. «The facts and the law in this case are clear, and we will continue following them to ensure that justice is served.»
After the arraignment, it is likely that she will file a motion to dismiss her case for vindictive and selective prosecution, following similar steps taken by Comey’s legal team in Alexandria earlier this week.
She will also file a motion to dismiss her case based on what her lawyers will argue was the unlawful appointment of Halligan in securing her indictment.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Lowell, her attorney, has described the case against her as «improper political retribution,» and vowed they would «fight these charges in every process allowed in the law.»
The Justice Department did not immediately respond to Fox News’s request for comment on the case, or whether Halligan or Keller would be joined by any other federal prosecutors in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Speaking to reporters outside the court on Friday, James said the Justice Department is being used as a tool of «revenge,» and a «vehicle of retribution.»
«But my faith is strong,» she told the group that had massed outside the courthouse in Norfolk, Virginia, hours earlier. «I have a belief in the justice system.»
«Never cow down or break or bend. So there is no fear today,» she said. «I will not be deterred.»
Judge Walker set a trial date for Jan. 26, 2026, and ordered parties to appear back in court for motions hearings in early December.
politics,new york,federal courts,donald trump,crime world,virginia
INTERNACIONAL
Judge orders migrant deported in ‘error’ free from ICE custody with criminal case looming

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A federal judge on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from re-arresting Salvadoran migrant Kilmar Abrego Garcia into federal immigration custody — an update that comes just days before he is slated to appear in Nashville for a key court date in a separate criminal case.
U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis agreed to convert her previous emergency order blocking ICE from immediately re-detaining Abrego Garcia into a longer-term form of injunctive relief sought by his lawyers.
She said Tuesday that the Trump administration failed to provide the court with any «good reason to believe» that they plan to remove him to a third country in the «reasonably foreseeable future.» Instead, she said, they «made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success.»
The order clears the way for Abrego Garcia to participate in a key hearing in Nashville next week on whether a separate federal judge should dismiss his criminal case on the grounds of «vindictive» and selective prosecution.
ABREGO GARCIA REMAINS IN US FOR NOW AS JUDGE TAKES CASE UNDER ADVISEMENT
President Donald Trump and a protester holding a sign urging the return of Kilmar Abrego Garcia. (Getty Images )
Xinis also said the government has «done nothing» to show the court that Abrego Garcia’s continued detention in ICE custody is «consistent with due process.»
«Respondents have done nothing to show that Abrego Garcia’s continued detention in ICE custody is consistent with due process,» Xinis said Tuesday.
She ticked through a list of the Trump administration’s efforts to remove Abrego Garcia to a list of four African nations it had identified as so-called «third countries» of removal in the months between August, when Abrego was re-detained by ICE, and December, when Xinis ultimately ordered his release.
The Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.
Xinis said Tuesday that the administration «refused to procure Abrego Garcia’s immediate removal to Costa Rica,» the location he had identified as his preferred third country of removal, in favor of what she said was attempted «phantom removals» by the government to send Abrego to «three (maybe four) African countries.»
«Indeed, since Abrego Garcia secured his release from criminal custody in August 2025, respondents have made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success,» Xinis said.
ABREGO GARCIA LAWYERS ASK US JUDGE TO ORDER RETURN TO MARYLAND AMID ONGOING CRIMINAL CASE

Kilmar Abrego Garcia, right, and his brother Cesar Abrego Garcia, center, arrive at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement field office in Baltimore, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
The Trump administration previously tried and failed to remove Abrego Garcia to the African countries of Liberia, Eswatini, Uganda and briefly, Ghana.
Xinis noted in late November that the government could not take any of those steps without the final notice of removal order, which she reiterated Tuesday in the memo order that the government had not obtained.
«Thus, he must remain on the stringent release conditions already imposed by ICE and in the Tennessee Criminal Matter,» Xinis said.
US JUDGE VOWS TO RULE ‘SOON’ ON ABREGO GARCIA’S FATE AFTER MARATHON HEARING
Abrego Garcia’s status has been at the center of a legal and political maelstrom since March, when he was deported to his home country of El Salvador, in violation of a 2019 court order and in what Trump officials acknowledge was an «administrative error.» Xinis ordered then that Abrego Garcia be «immediately» returned to the U.S.
He was eventually returned to the U.S. in June, where he was taken into federal custody in Nashville and detained on human smuggling charges stemming from a 2022 traffic stop.
The Justice Department later told Xinis it had opened the criminal investigation and presented it to a grand jury at the same time that Abrego Garcia was detained in a Salvadoran prison, and at the same time as government lawyers were telling the court that the U.S. was powerless to order his return.

A woman holds a photo of Salvadoran migrant Kilmar Abrego Garcia in front of the U.S. District Court in Nashville. A judge ordered Trump officials to testify in court in January to weigh Abrego’s motion to dismiss on the grounds of «vindictive» prosecution. (Getty Images )
Next week’s hearing in Nashville will be centered on a motion to dismiss Abrego Garcia’s criminal case for «vindictive» and selective prosecution.
The judge overseeing that case, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, had ruled in October that Abrego Garcia had established a «reasonable likelihood» that the criminal case against him was the result of vindictive prosecution by the Justice Department.
Crenshaw had ordered the Trump administration to produce for the court internal documents and government witnesses to testify about its decision to bring the case.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Senior DHS and Justice Department officials previously suggested they would appeal Xinis’ orders. Trump officials have been sharply critical of Xinis and other federal judges presiding over deportation cages, whom they have repeatedly accused of overstepping their authority as a district judge.
«This order lacks any valid legal basis, and we will continue to fight this tooth and nail in the courts,» DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in response to the court’s earlier emergency order.
donald trump,politics,immigration,supreme court,federal courts,crime world,foreign policy,national security
INTERNACIONAL
Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly trying to take Kalashnikov rifle stocks: report

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
An American was sentenced Tuesday to four years in jail in Russia for allegedly trying to fly out of an airport in Moscow with the stocks of Kalashnikov assault rifles in his suitcase, a report said.
The unnamed U.S. citizen, who collects Kalashnikov weapons, did not make a customs declaration after purchasing two stocks and checking a suitcase containing the items at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport, Reuters reported, citing the RIA Novosti state news agency.
He later was found guilty under an article of Russian criminal code relating to the smuggling of weapons, it added.
Fox News Digital has reached out to the State Department for comment.
RUSSIA UPS JAIL SENTENCE OF US CITIZEN TO 10 YEARS FOR BEATING PRISON STAFF
AK-47 rifles are seen during a training session at a shooting range outside of Kyiv, Ukraine, on the left, in July 2023. On the right are passenger jets at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport. An American reportedly was jailed after trying to transport Kalashnikov rifle stocks in a suitcase at the airport. (STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images; Andrey Rudakov/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Russian state media is also claiming the American partially admitted guilt, according to Reuters.
The State Department warns Americans not to travel to Russia «for any reason due to terrorism, unrest, wrongful detention and other risks.»
CHINA PLEDGES AID TO UKRAINE AS US OFFICIALS WARN BEIJING IS QUIETLY FUELING RUSSIA’S WAR

A Kalashnikov of a Ukrainian soldier participating in shooting training is seen in Donetsk region of Ukraine on July 31, 2024. (Jose Colon/Anadolu via Getty Images)
«The U.S. Embassy in Moscow has limited ability to assist in the case of a detention of a U.S. citizen. There is no guarantee that the Russian government will grant the U.S. Embassy consular access to detained U.S. citizens,» the State Department said. «U.S. citizens may serve their entire prison sentence without release. The risk of wrongful detention of U.S. citizens remains high. Even if a case is determined wrongful, there is no guarantee of release.»

A terminal at Vnukovo International Airport in Moscow, Russia, in August 2023. (Maxim Shemetov/Reuters)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
«Russian officials often question and threaten U.S. citizens without reason. Russian security services have arrested U.S. citizens on false charges,» it added. They have denied them fair treatment and convicted them without credible evidence. Russian authorities have opened questionable investigations against U.S. citizens for their religious activities.»
russia,crime,state department,world
INTERNACIONAL
Irán está dispuesto a que haya una verificación de que no busca tener armas nucleares

El presidente iraní, Masoud Pezeshkian, afirmó que su país está dispuesto a que haya una verificación de que no busca dotarse de armas atómicas, coincidiendo con el ciclo de negociaciones con Estados Unidos sobre el programa nuclear.
«No estamos buscando en absoluto tener armas nucleares», declaró Pezeshkian en una entrevista publicada este martes. «Si alguien quiere verificarlo, estamos dispuestos a que se lleve a cabo dicha verificación».
Irán y Estados Unidos mantuvieron este martes unas breves negociaciones, en las que no hablaron directamente, sino que se intercambiaron mensajes a través de Omán, en su papel de mediador, y tras las cuales la vía diplomática se mantiene abierta en la búsqueda de un acuerdo sobre el programa nuclear iraní.
Al término del encuentro, el ministro de Exteriores de Irán, Abás Araqchí, declaró que se había logrado «un buen progreso respecto a la sesión anterior» (hace veinte días), que en esta ocasión el ambiente fue «más constructivo e incluso se refirió a avances sobre «una serie de principios rectores», según los cuales se redactará un posible borrador de acuerdo.
«Tenemos una decisión más clara sobre qué acciones deben tomarse», declaró, sin ofrecer detalles de lo conversado.
Más optimismo aún mostró el ministro de Asuntos Exteriores de Omán, Badr bin Hamad al Busaidi, que hizo de mediador y quien habló de «buenos avances» en la identificación de «objetivos comunes» y de «cuestiones técnicas relevantes».
A través de una declaración por redes sociales, el ministro omaní también se refirió a los esfuerzos que se hicieron para definir los principios a los que se refirió su homólogo iraní, aclarando siempre que queda mucho camino por andar y que habrá otra reunión próximamente.
La figura del director general del Organismo Internacional de la Energía Atómica (OIEA), Rafael Grossi, tomó relevancia en esta segunda ronda de las negociaciones, que se reanudaron tras los ataques de Estados Unidos contra tres instalaciones nucleares iraníes el pasado junio, en una operación conjunta con Israel.
Grossi, quien es candidato a ser secretario general de la ONU, se reunió el lunes con Araqchí, y hoy mismo lo hizo con la delegación estadounidense, que han liderado el enviado especial de la Casa Blanca, Steve Witkoff; y Jared Kushner, yerno del presidente Donald Trump.
En una comparecencia horas después en la Conferencia de Desarme de la ONU, reunida en la sede europea de la organización en Ginebra, Araqchí ofreció algunas claves de lo abordado con Grossi cuando, tras denunciar los ataques estadounidenses de mediados de 2025, dijo que en la actualidad «no existen modalidades» que hagan posible la inspección de las instalaciones afectadas por parte de la OIEA.
«Esas instalaciones requieren un marco acordado mutuamente entre Irán y la agencia. Esto es algo en lo que estamos trabajando», reveló el ministro en ese momento y mostró la disposición de Irán a responder a algunas de las exigencias de Estados Unidos.
Aunque no se sabe con certeza en qué condiciones se encuentran esas plantas, informes de organismos internacionales apuntan a que sufrieron daños significativos.
Sin embargo, durante la jornada también hubo mensajes duros -implícitos y explícitos- de Irán con respecto a Estados Unidos, a su forma de negociar y a sus exigencias, al tiempo que le recomendó actuar con prudencia en relación a sus amenazas de atacar militarmente si el régimen iraní no se pliega a sus exigencias.
A este respecto, Araqchí dijo en la ONU que en caso de que EE.UU. le agreda, su respuesta «no se limitará a sus fronteras», mientras que desde Teherán se anunciaba el cierre durante varias horas para maniobras navales de partes del estrecho de Ormuz, una vía marítima muy importante geopolítica y comercialmente.
Trump ha manifestado su interés por resolver la cuestión nuclear iraní -tras señalar que estaría involucrado a distancia en las negociaciones de hoy-, en particular después de la violenta represión armada de las manifestaciones multitudinarias que tuvieron lugar en las primeras semanas de este año en Irán y en las que murieron miles de personas.
Estados Unidos junto con los otros cuatro países del Consejo de Seguridad de la ONU, más Alemania, alcanzó en 2015 un acuerdo sobre el programa nuclear iraní, el cual establecía medidas para garantizar que se adecuara únicamente a fines civiles a cambio del alivio de sanciones, pero Trump retiró a su país del mismo en 2018, durante su primer mandato.
POLITICA2 días agoUno de los jefes de la CGT adelantó que convocarán a un paro general por la reforma laboral: “Trabajaremos para que sea una gran huelga”
POLITICA21 horas agoCristian Ritondo: “Vamos a apoyar la ley de modernización laboral, pero no el régimen de licencias por enfermedad”
POLITICA2 días agoEfecto Santa Fe: policías y penitenciarios de Río Negro rechazaron un aumento en cuotas y amenazan con acampar por tiempo indeterminado en Viedma

















