INTERNACIONAL
Secret Service will not renew former director Kim Cheatle’s security clearance

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Former Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle will not have her top-level security clearance renewed, the agency said.
This comes after Cheatle resigned last year amid mounting scrutiny over security lapses that led to the assassination attempt against then-candidate Donald Trump at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.
Trump survived an assassination attempt during the July 13, 2024, rally, suffering an injury to his ear after a bullet grazed him, while audience member Corey Comperatore was killed and two others in the crowd were wounded. A Secret Service sniper fatally shot the gunman, 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks, who had climbed to the top of a nearby building.
The Secret Service, as well as several top U.S. intelligence agencies, including the CIA and FBI, regularly update the security clearances for former directors. But the Secret Service now says not all former directors will have their clearances renewed under current Director Sean Curran.
SECRET SERVICE DIRECTOR CHEATLE RESIGNS AFTER MOUNTING PRESSURE IN WAKE OF TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT
Then-Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle testifies before the House Oversight and Accountability Committee about the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, in Washington, D.C., on July 22, 2024. (AP Photo/Rod Lamkey, Jr.)
«The U.S. Secret Service sponsors security clearances for all the former directors for their knowledge of operational and national security matters,» a Secret Service spokesperson said in a statement to Fox News. «The purpose for this was so the agency could maintain formal and protected communication including potentially sensitive and classified matters with former officials.»
«Since appointed, Director Curran has been building a dynamic team of knowledgeable advisors that will help implement his vision for the agency,» the spokesperson continued. «Additionally, Director Curran has been modernizing the intelligence apparatus within the agency. During that process, he has determined that not all former directors will have their clearances renewed.»
The move not to renew Cheatle’s security clearance comes as some Republican lawmakers were voicing opposition to a potential renewal, including Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisc., who argued that her leadership decisions contributed to the agency’s numerous failures surrounding the assassination attempt against Trump.
«Following the security debacle in Butler, the former director of USSS made the right decision to resign,» Johnson said in a statement to RealClearPolitics. «I see no reason for her security clearance to be reinstated.»
BUTLER ONE YEAR LATER: REVISITING THE HISTORIC ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT AGAINST DONALD TRUMP

Then-Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle is sworn in before testifying before the House Oversight and Accountability Committee on July 22, 2024, in Washington, D.C. (Kent Nishimura/Getty Images)
Johnson, who chairs the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, had probed the Secret Service’s failures leading up to the assassination attempt in Butler.
Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., who serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee that conducted a joint investigation with a Homeland Security panel into the lapses in Butler, said the agency’s failures should prevent her from holding a security clearance.
«Kim Cheatle disgraced the Secret Service by failing to prevent a horrifying attempt on President Trump’s life,» Blackburn said in a statement to RealClearPolitics. «Not only did she oversee one of the greatest security failures in our nation’s history, but she also stonewalled congressional oversight and ran away from my colleagues and me when we confronted her. Under no circumstances should she be allowed to regain her security clearance, and it is shameful she would even try.»
Cheatle resigned as director 10 days after the shooting in Butler, as she was facing intense pressure from Republicans over the security failures.
«To the Men and Women of the U.S. Secret Service, The Secret Service’s solemn mission is to protect our nation’s leaders and financial infrastructure,» Cheatle wrote in a letter to the agency at the time. «On July 13th, we fell short on that mission.»

Donald Trump is photographed beneath the cover of Secret Service agents after being shot in the ear at his Butler, Pa., rally on July 13, 2024. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
«As your Director, I take full responsibility for the security lapse,» she added.
On the first anniversary of the assassination attempt, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who chairs the Homeland Security Committee, accused her of lying in her testimony to Congress in the aftermath of the shooting when she denied accusations she turned down requests for more resources for Trump’s security.
The former director pushed back on Paul’s allegations.
«Any assertion or implication that I provided misleading testimony is patently false and does a disservice to those men and women on the front lines who have been unfairly disciplined for a team, rather than individual, failure,» she responded in a statement provided by her attorney.
politics,donald trump,ron johnson,crime world,police and law enforcement
INTERNACIONAL
Chloé Zhao, directora de ‘Hamnet’: “Me convertí en cineasta porque me costaba expresar mis emociones”

La cineasta china Chloé Zhao, ganadora de varios Óscar de Hollywood por Nomadland y ahora nominada en ocho categorías por Hamnet’, define su situación como “compleja”: “Puede ser un poco desagradable que a tu trabajo le pongan una etiqueta” en la que solo eres “ganador o no”, dice. “Creo que todos mis compañeros se sienten así porque todos somos muy sensibles. Así que a lo que nos aferramos es a la comunidad que existe dentro de nuestra industria, especialmente ahora mismo, y a apoyarnos mutuamente”, explica Zhao (43 años) en una entrevista antes de un encuentro en la Academia de Cine.
Todos los pronósticos señalan que el próximo 15 de marzo la cineasta recogerá varias estatuillas por su película sobre el dolor de Shakespeare y su esposa por la muerte de su hijo de 11 años, adaptación de la novela de Maggie O’Farrell, producida por Steven Spielberg, que está teniendo una gran respuesta en cines de distintos países, a cuyo público da las gracias.
Sobre sus orígenes en la industria audiovisual, asegura que hace las películas “por supervivencia”. “Sinceramente, me convertí en narradora y cineasta porque me costaba conectar, expresar o sentir mis emociones”, dice Zhao, que se define como neurodivergente. Sin embargo, sí es capaz de conectar con las emociones de otros -“la pérdida se siente igual, el desamor se siente igual, el amor se siente igual”- y de integrarse rápidamente en comunidades en apariencia muy diferentes.
Esta mujer que nació en China, se educó en Reino Unido y estudió cine en EE.UU., considera que “cuando no eres de un lugar y no tienes un profundo apego, en lo único en lo que puedes confiar es en estar completamente presente cuando estás con otro ser humano”. Con esta premisa consiguió obras como el excelente retrato del oeste americano contemporáneo de The Rider (2017) o la historia de una mujer mayor y pobre que debe buscarse la vida en los bellos pero hostiles paisajes estadounidenses de Nomadland (2020). “Es más fácil y seguro crear un mundo fantástico y contar las historias de otras personas” y “experimentar una especie de catarsis a través de la alquimia de la narración”, destaca.
Algo parecido es lo que le ocurre al personaje de Shakespeare en Hamnet’, que en la piel del actor Paul Mescal muestra dudas, debilidades y un dolor que vuelca en sus inmortales creaciones literarias. La imagen de un Shakespeare que llora chocó a algunos críticos que consideran excesiva la carga emocional de la película. Al respecto, la directora cree que “vivimos en una sociedad que, lamentablemente, no honra nada lo que no es productivo” y en la que a menudo se ocultan los duelos.

(Foto: Agata Grzybowska / © 2025 FOCUS FEATURES LLC)
“Preferimos vivir en verano todo el tiempo en lugar de honrar el invierno, cuando las cosas se están muriendo y se están preparando para el siguiente renacimiento”, defiende Zhao, quien explica que “si no te permites sentir duelo sin intelectualizarlo” no habrá una transformación. Ella misma, a medida que madura, también sigue un proceso de “curación”, ya que había partes sobre las que no se había permitido hacer un duelo.
“Cuanto más lo hago, más me doy cuenta de que el cine, si no pones cuidado, puede ser disociativo, en el sentido de que no estás en tu cuerpo, sino en tu cabeza”, reflexiona. Un ejemplo de esta corporeidad en la película de Hamnet sería la escena del primer parto de la esposa de Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway -en la película es Agnes, el nombre con el que también se le conocía-, interpretada por la actriz irlandesa Jessie Buckley. “El primer nacimiento en el bosque fue muy diferente al segundo, estaba mucho más en contacto con su cuerpo. El bosque, metafóricamente, es su conexión con su propio bosque interior; no solo con su cuerpo, sino con el linaje de las madres y las mujeres de su linaje”, subraya Zhao.
Fuente: EFE
Arts,Culture,Entertainment,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,North America
INTERNACIONAL
Election integrity groups press Supreme Court to require ballots by Election Day

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
FIRST ON FOX: A coalition of election integrity groups is urging the Supreme Court to uphold a lower court ruling that found federal law requires mail ballots to be received by Election Day.
The conservative-leaning groups, including the Honest Elections Project and the Center for Election Confidence, filed an amicus brief supporting the Republican National Committee’s challenge to Mississippi’s postmark deadline. They argue that federal law establishing a single Election Day requires ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The case could determine whether similar postmark-based deadlines in 14 states remain valid ahead of the 2026 midterms.
Supporters of the RNC’s position say a ruling affirming the lower court would establish a clear standard for when ballots must be received, though curtailing acceptance of late-arriving ballots would not guarantee that election officials won’t still be tabulating ballots in close races beyond Election Day.
«Counting ballots that are received after Election Day unnecessarily damages public trust in election outcomes, delays results, and violates the law,» Jason Snead, Honest Elections Project executive director, told Fox News Digital in a statement.
SUPREME COURT SAYS ILLINOIS CONGRESSMAN CAN SUE OVER STATE MAIL-IN VOTING LAWS
Mail-in ballots are inspected at the Los Angeles County Ballot Processing Center on Nov. 4, 2025, in California. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
Oral arguments in the case, Watson v. Republican National Committee, are set for March 23, and a decision is expected by the summer.
The case arose from a lawsuit brought by the RNC challenging Mississippi’s practice of counting mail ballots received up to five business days after Election Day if postmarked by that day.
The RNC chose to bring the case in the Republican-friendly U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, which ruled in the RNC’s favor and found that federal law trumps the state’s deadline and requires ballots to be received by Election Day.
At issue is whether statutes establishing a single Election Day mean that all ballots must be received by that day to be valid. The election integrity groups argued that under the Supreme Court’s decision from three decades ago in Foster v. Love, the «final act of selection» must occur on Election Day and that receipt of a mail-in ballot constitutes casting a ballot, which cannot happen after Election Day by that standard.

Minnie Bounds, 74, fills out her ballot at Blackburn Laboratory Middle School on Nov. 07, 2023, in Jackson, Mississippi. After months of candidates campaigning, the state of Mississippi is voting today in the Governor’s race between Gov. Tate Reeves and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Brandon Presley. (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Snead said a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court would «protect the rights of voters and the integrity of the democratic process, and ensure that it is easy to vote but hard to cheat in future elections.»
The election integrity coalition argued that allowing ballots to arrive after Election Day can lead to delayed results and can chip away at voters’ confidence in elections.
The groups also pointed to recent U.S. Postal Service guidance that warned that postmarks might not reliably reflect when a ballot entered the mail.
HOUSE GOP MOVES TO REQUIRE PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, PHOTO ID TO VOTE IN FEDERAL ELECTION

The Supreme Court building is seen in Washington, D.C. (AP/Jon Elswick)
Fourteen states and Washington, D.C., currently count ballots received after Election Day if postmarked on time.
Since the 2024 midterm election, four Republican-controlled states, Kansas, Ohio, Utah and North Dakota, have moved to require receipt by Election Day.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
A ruling upholding the 5th Circuit could invalidate the laws in the 14 states and require ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The decision is expected to affect the 2026 midterms.
Military and overseas ballots, which are governed by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, would likely remain unaffected.
supreme court,mississippi,elections,judiciary,voting,voter fraud concerns
INTERNACIONAL
Iran fires live missiles into Strait of Hormuz as Trump envoys arrive for nuclear talks

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Iran fired live missiles into the Strait of Hormuz during naval drills Tuesday and signaled it is prepared to close the strategic waterway if ordered by senior leadership, according to Iranian state-affiliated media.
The drills come as President Donald Trump’s envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner are meeting senior Iranian officials in Geneva for a second round of nuclear talks.
Rear Adm. Alireza Tangsiri, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy, said Tehran stands ready to shut down the strait, a critical global oil transit route, according to Tasnim News Agency, an outlet affiliated with the IRGC.
Tasnim said traffic through the shipping corridor was suspended for several hours during the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise, which included missile launches from vessels, coastal positions and inland sites, as well as drone operations conducted in signal-jamming conditions.
TOP IRAN SECURITY OFFICIAL SEEN IN OMAN DAYS AFTER INDIRECT NUCLEAR TALKS WITH US
Iranian military personnel take part in the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz on Feb. 16, 2026. (Press Office Of The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) previously urged the IRGC in late January to carry out its announced two-day live-fire naval exercise «in a manner that is safe, professional and avoids unnecessary risk to freedom of navigation for international maritime traffic.»
«U.S. forces acknowledge Iran’s right to operate professionally in international airspace and waters. Any unsafe and unprofessional behavior near U.S. forces, regional partners or commercial vessels increases risks of collision, escalation, and destabilization,» it said.
GLOBAL PROTESTS CALL FOR IRAN REGIME CHANGE IN MAJOR CITIES WORLDWIDE AFTER BLOODY CRACKDOWN

Iranian military personnel take part in the «Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz» exercise in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz on Feb. 16, 2026. (Press Office Of The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The Trump administration has built up a large military presence in the Middle East as talks over Iran’s nuclear program continue, with U.S. officials signaling that any potential agreement would need to go beyond enrichment and address broader security concerns.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in February that for negotiations to be «meaningful,» they would need to address Iran’s ballistic missiles, its sponsorship of terrorist organizations across the region, its nuclear program and its treatment of its own people.
UK, FRANCE, GERMANY TRIGGER UN SANCTIONS ON IRAN OVER ‘SIGNIFICANT’ NUCLEAR PROGRAM DEFIANCE
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday that he would be involved in the talks «indirectly.»
«They’ll be very important and we’ll see what can happen. It’s been – typically Iran’s a very tough negotiator. They’re good negotiators or bad. I would say they’re bad negotiators because we could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2’s in to knock out their nuclear potential,» he said. «And we had to send the B-2’s. I hope they’re going to be more reasonable. They want to make a deal.»
iran,middle east,donald trump
POLITICA2 días agoUno de los jefes de la CGT adelantó que convocarán a un paro general por la reforma laboral: “Trabajaremos para que sea una gran huelga”
POLITICA18 horas agoCristian Ritondo: “Vamos a apoyar la ley de modernización laboral, pero no el régimen de licencias por enfermedad”
POLITICA2 días agoEfecto Santa Fe: policías y penitenciarios de Río Negro rechazaron un aumento en cuotas y amenazan con acampar por tiempo indeterminado en Viedma

















