INTERNACIONAL
United Kingdom could be only G7 nation not to produce its own steel; Chinese owner blames Trump tariffs

The United Kingdom could be the first G7 nation not to manufacture its own steel, with a major steel firm blaming President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the planned closure of its two blast furnaces.
British Steel, which is owned by Jingye, the Chinese steel group, announced plans to close its two blast furnaces in England, The Telegraph reported. The closures put 2,700 jobs at risk and the end of steel production in the United Kingdom after 150 years. Jingye bought British Steel in 2020.
Jingye said the «imposition of tariffs» had made the blast furnaces and steel-making operations «no longer financially sustainable».
THE LEFT THINKS TRUMP’S TARIFFS ARE A DECLARATION OF WAR. BUT THEY’RE CLUELESS ABOUT THE BATTLEFIELD
A flag with a British Steel logo at the entrance to the steelworks plant in England. The Chinese firm that owns the steelmaker is blaming President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the potential closure of two blast furnaces in England. (Anna Gowthorpe/PA via AP)
Trump has imposed 25% tariffs on steel and aluminum imports to the United States that went into effect earlier this month.
Jingye said it has invested billions of dollars to maintain operations since 2020 but that losses have ballooned to around hundred of thousands of dollars daily.
The closures could have national security implications.
«There is a reason why Russia bombed all the blast furnaces in Ukraine pretty much straight away; because countries need steel not just for defense but to build the roads and the infrastructure,» said Sarah Jones, the energy minister.
Roy Rickhuss, general secretary of the Community union, said: «We urge Jingye and the government to get back around the table to resume negotiations before it is too late.»
TRUMP’S 25% TARIFF INCREASE ON ALL STEEL, ALUMINUM IMPORTS TAKES EFFECT, PROMPTING RETALIATION FROM EUROPE

President Donald Trump speaks to an audience. (Donald Trump/Truth Social)
«Given that we are now on the cusp of becoming the only G7 country without domestic primary steelmaking capacity, it is no exaggeration to say that our national security is gravely threatened,» he added.
Trump has fought to keep U.S. Steel in American hands. Nippon Steel, a Japanese company, said it was willing to increase investment in U.S. Steel facilities to $7 billion as it tries to convince Trump thah the Pittsburgh steelmaker would be in good hands with foreign ownership.
«We are also going to keep U.S. Steel right here in America,» Trump said during a September 2024 campaign rally.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Trump first opposed the deal in February 2024, but said earlier this year that Nippon would negotiate an investment in U.S. Steel, rather than a purchase, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.
INTERNACIONAL
Dem governor’s ‘dangerous’ anti-ICE law ignites backlash after alleged box cutter attack by illegal alien

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
FIRST ON FOX: The arrest of an illegal alien who allegedly sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter in Anne Arundale County, Maryland, would have been jeopardized by a new sanctuary law signed by the governor on Tuesday, according to the Department of Homeland Security.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Democratic Gov. Wes Moore pushed back, saying that «nothing in today’s legislation would prevent criminals from getting deported.»
DHS told Fox News Digital that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested the illegal, Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez, a criminal illegal alien from Mexico, who was charged with attempted murder, assault, and reckless endangerment in Anne Arundale County, Maryland.
BLOCKING ICE COOPERATION FUELED MINNESOTA UNREST, OFFICIALS WARN AS VIRGINIA REVERSES COURSE
Gov. Wes Moore, D-Md., (left) signed a bill on Tuesday banning 287(g) cooperation with ICE, which DHS said would jeopardize the arrest of illegals such as Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez (right), a criminal illegal alien from Mexico, who was charged with attempted murder, assault, and reckless endangerment in Anne Arundale County, Maryland. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images; DHS)
Local Maryland outlet, the Capital Gazette, reported that Gutierrez sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter and accused her of cheating on him.
Following the crime and his subsequent arrest, DHS said that the ICE detainer lodged with the Anne Arundale County Detention Center was honored, «allowing a safe and controlled transfer of custody.» Gutierrez is currently in ICE custody pending removal proceedings, according to DHS.
The agency said that «safe arrests like these are now in jeopardy with sanctuary politicians in the Maryland legislature passing a bill banning cooperation with ICE.»
The bill, signed by Democratic Gov. Wes Moore on Tuesday, prohibits state and local jurisdictions in Maryland from partnering with ICE in immigration enforcement operations through what is known as the 287(g) program. Signed as a piece of emergency legislation, the bill takes immediate effect and requires any local jurisdictions with standing 287(g) agreements to terminate them immediately.
The bill does not ban local law enforcement from honoring ICE detainers, which, under Maryland law, is up to the discretion of the local agency. However, by banning 287(g) partnerships, local law enforcement agencies are prohibited from issuing immigration detainers of their own.
Ammar Moussa, a spokesperson for Moore’s office, responded to DHS by telling Fox News Digital that, «Nothing in today’s legislation would prevent criminals from getting deported.»
DHS URGES NEWSOM TO HONOR ICE DETAINERS AFTER FEDERAL AGENT ASSAULTED WHILE ARRESTING ILLEGAL ALIEN AT JAIL

Gov. Wes Moore (D-Md.) appears on «Meet the Press» in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 7, 2025. (Shannon Finney/NBC via Getty Images))
A Tuesday statement released by Moore’s office said that the legislation does not authorize the release of criminals, impact state policies and practices in response to immigration detainers issued by DHS, prevent state or local jurisdictions from working with the federal government on the removal of violent criminals who pose a risk to public safety or prevent state or local jurisdictions from continuing to notify ICE about the impending release of an individual of interest from custody or from coordinating the safe transfer of custody within constitutional limits.
In the same statement, Moore ripped into federal immigration agents, saying, «In Maryland, we defend Constitutional rights and Constitutional policing—and we will not allow untrained, unqualified, and unaccountable ICE agents to deputize our law enforcement officers.»
Moore said that «this bill draws a clear line: we will continue to work with federal partners to hold violent offenders accountable, but we refuse to blur the lines between state and federal authority in ways that undermine the trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.»
«Maryland is a community of immigrants,» added Moore, «and that’s one of our greatest strengths because this country is incomplete without each and every one of us.»
However, DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin, who is set to depart from DHS next week, told Fox News Digital that the Maryland legislature is «unfortunately following a dangerous path … of putting criminal illegal aliens over American citizens.»
TEXAS GOVERNOR EXPOSES ‘HYPOCRISY’ OF DEM PUSH FOR STATES’ RIGHTS IN MINNESOTA AFTER BIDEN YEARS

Left to right, from top: Vladimir Herrera-Garcia, Manuel Portillo Cardoza, Jose Rivera Medrano, Nilo Herrera Sanchez and Jeffry Alfaro Lemus. (G Fiume/Maryland Terrapins/Getty Images; DHS)
«Filberto Gonzalez Gutierrez, a monster who sliced his wife’s neck open with a box cutter, will never walk American streets again because Anne Arundale County worked with ICE to keep this criminal off our streets,» continued McLaughlin.
«Now, Maryland sanctuary politicians are playing Russian roulette with American lives by outlawing cooperation with ICE and forcing law enforcement to RELEASE criminals from their jails into our communities and perpetrate more crimes and create more victims.»
In addition to Gutierrez, DHS accused Maryland politicians of «choosing to protect» other «public safety threats» recently arrested by ICE in Maryland.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The agency pointed to the recent arrests by ICE of Vladimir Herrera-Garcia, from El Salvador, who was convicted of homicide and larceny; Manuel Portillo Cardoza, from El Salvador, convicted of assault and lewd or lascivious acts with minor; Jose Rivera Medrano, from El Salvador, convicted of incest with minor, sex offense against child-fondling, and another sex offense; Nilo Herrera Sanchez, from Peru, convicted of strong-arm rape, sex assault, sex offense, and rape with weapon; And Jeffry Alfaro Lemus, an MS-13 member from El Salvador, convicted of possession of a weapon.
DHS stated that «by outlawing cooperation with ICE, Maryland’s sanctuary policies are siding with heinous criminal illegal aliens over public safety. McLaughlin added that «unfortunately, the only consequence will be the continued murder, rape, assault, robbery, and carnage of American lives.»
immigration,sanctuary cities,illegal immigrants,migrant crime,maryland,enforcement,homeland security
INTERNACIONAL
Peru sinks deeper into chaos as seventh president in ten years ousted in ‘Chifagate’ scandal

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Peru’s interim president was removed from office Tuesday over corruption allegations, further destabilizing the country ahead of April’s presidential and congressional elections, according to reports.
José Jerí’s ouster follows an ongoing scandal called «Chifagate,» in which he was allegedly filmed at an undisclosed meeting with a Chinese businessman who holds a concession for an energy project, the Associated Press reported.
Jeri was also said to have met with another business person, reportedly under investigation for alleged involvement in illegal logging.
Lawmakers removed him by voting to censure him as head of Congress, which needed only a simple majority and automatically stripped him of the presidency.
WHO IS THE POPULIST CONSERVATIVE PRESIDENT-ELECT IN COSTA RICA?
Peru’s Congress ousted President Jose Jeri following a scandal over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman in Lima. (REUTERS/Angela Ponce)
Jerí has said he will respect the outcome of the vote, has denied wrongdoing and will return to his role as a legislator, Reuters reported.
Tuesday’s ousting vote marks the latest twist in a prolonged political crisis that has seen seven presidents since 2016.
Jerí had assumed the post on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte.
Right-wing parties that had backed Boluarte withdrew support amid further corruption scandals. Since Boluarte had no vice president, Jerí, then head of Congress, was next in line.
Lawmakers will now elect a new head of Congress, who will also assume the presidency until July 28, 2026, when the winner of the April 12 election is sworn in.
TRUMP ADMIN WARNS PERU IT COULD LOSE SOVEREIGNTY AS CHINA TIGHTENS GRIP ON NATION

Jerí had assumed the post of president on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte. (Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)
As the country heads toward the next vote, the presidential field remains crowded.
Conservative businessman Rafael López Aliaga currently leads in polls, while Keiko Fujimori, the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori, is running second in most others.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Fujimori narrowly lost her last presidential bid, securing 49% of the vote in 2021. If no candidate wins more than 50% in April, the top two finishers will advance to a June runoff.
Rospigliosi said parties have until 6 p.m. local time to present candidates, and the legislature is expected to vote on a new president Feb. 18.
elections,congress,corruption
INTERNACIONAL
Quiénes son los candidatos a presidente de Perú para completar cinco meses de mandato restante

Tras apenas cuatro meses en el cargo, José Jerí (39 años) tuvo que dejar la presidencia de Perú tras una votación de censura del Congreso que fue aprobada por 75 votos a favor, 24 en contra y 3 abstenciones. Se trata del octavo presidente del país en casi 10 años, en medio de la inestabilidad y crisis política que atraviesa Perú desde las elecciones de 2016.
La salida de Jerí llega tras varios escándalos, principalmente el ‘chifagate‘, donde se investiga una serie de reuniones semiclandestinas que Jerí habría mantenido con empresarios chinos. El más polémico fue un encuentro al que acudió encapuchado a un restaurante propiedad de uno de estos empresarios, lo que motivó la apertura de una investigación en la Fiscalía por patrocinio ilegal y tráfico de influencias agravado. También se lo acusaba de la contratación irregular de al menos cinco mujeres que consiguieron trabajos públicos tras reunirse con el exmandatario en Palacio de Gobierno.
Jerí había asumido en octubre de 2025, luego de la destitución de Dina Boluarte, que era la vicepresidenta de Pedro Castillo, también destituido. Al momento de asumir, era presidente del Congreso por lo que al ser censurado como presidente del Congreso, quedó automáticamente invalidado para seguir ejerciendo la presidencia.
Ahora, el Parlamento tendrá que elegir a un nuevo mandatario entre los legisladores que deberá dirigir el país hasta el 28 de julio, cuando entregue el cargo al ganador de los comicios presidenciales del 12 de abril. El plazo para la presentación formal de las candidaturas eras hasta este martes a las 18 (hora local). El presidente del Congreso, Fernando Rospigliosi, anunció que la votación para definir el reemplazo de Jerí será mañana miércoles a partir de las 18 (hora local).
Tras la publicación de las listas, se designan a dos escrutadores para observar el acto electoral. Se vota por orden alfabético y los votos se introducen en una urna (ánfora). El conteo se hace voto por voto y gana la lista o candidato que obtenga mayoría simple. En ese caso, el ganador presta juramento y asume de inmediato. Si eso no sucede, se va a una segunda votación.
Pero las opciones para el nuevo presidente interino son limitadas, ya que la gran mayoría de los legisladores se presentarán a reelección en dos meses. De los 130 parlamentarios, 57 postulan al Senado, 29 a la Cámara de Diputados y dos al Parlamento Andino, por lo que quedan 42 congresistas elegibles y la mayoría cuenta con niveles de popularidad muy bajos como para conseguir el apoyo suficiente para asumir el cargo.
#CongresoInforma | Vencido el plazo para la inscripción de las listas de candidatos a la presidencia del Congreso de la República, se ha registrado las candidaturas de los congresistas:
✅Segundo Héctor Acuña Peralta
✅María del Carmen Alva Prieto
✅Edgard Cornelio Reymundo… pic.twitter.com/ijnjYwtaYA— Congreso del Perú 🇵🇪 (@congresoperu) February 17, 2026
El Congreso de Perú oficializó cuatro candidaturas:
Alva cuenta con la ventaja de que su partido, Acción Popular (derecha), no se presenta en las elecciones de abril y además cuenta con experiencia ya que fue presidenta del Congreso entre 2021 y 2022. Otros partidos de derecha como Fuerza Popular (que lidera Keiko Fujimori) y Renovación Popular podrían apoyarla, pero en sus años como congresista ha protagonizado varios desencuentros con otros parlamentarios en los que incluso tiró del brazo a colegas y ha sido señalada por decir comentarios clasistas.
Otro candidato es el izquierdista José María Balcázar que es independiente, pero fue nominado por el partido comunista Perú Libre, partido con el que Castillo llegó a la presidencia en 2021, pero al que luego renunció. Algunos legisladores lo ven como una figura de consenso, incluso él le ha dicho a medios locales que «en caso de presentarse (la ocasión), obviamente (aceptaría), pero tendría que someterme a la mayoría del Congreso». «El problema es que yo no tengo partido, yo no tengo votos cautivos, pero sí soy un hombre de consenso», añadió. Pero Balcázar tampoco está libre de polémicas: en 2023 se abstuvo de votar el dictamen de la norma que prohíbe el matrimonio infantil y expuso que «las relaciones sexuales tempranas ayudan al futuro psicológico de la mujer«.
Otra de las postulaciones es la de Héctor Acuña del bloque de derecha Honor y Democracia. Es hermano de César Acuña, líder de la Alianza para el Progreso (APP) y exgobernador regional de La Libertad y de Óscar Acuña, prófugo desde noviembre por una causa de corrupción.
El Bloque Democrático Popular (izquierda) postuló a Edgard Reymundo, que termina su mandato este 2026. Reymundo es sociólogo y abogado y su carrera política comenzó en 1980, cuando fue elegido como regidor del distrito de Chilca (Cañete, Lima) por Izquierda Unida. Fue congresista entre 2006 y 2011 y luego ocupó varios cargos en el ejecutivo nacional. En 2021 volvió a ser elegido como congresista por Junín, su cargo vence el próximo 27 de julio.
POLITICA2 días agoUno de los jefes de la CGT adelantó que convocarán a un paro general por la reforma laboral: “Trabajaremos para que sea una gran huelga”
POLITICA1 día agoCristian Ritondo: “Vamos a apoyar la ley de modernización laboral, pero no el régimen de licencias por enfermedad”
POLITICA2 días agoEfecto Santa Fe: policías y penitenciarios de Río Negro rechazaron un aumento en cuotas y amenazan con acampar por tiempo indeterminado en Viedma










