INTERNACIONAL
Ex-Philippine president Duterte to face trial on crimes against humanity charges

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Judges at the International Criminal Court on Thursday confirmed crimes against humanity charges against former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte for deadly anti-drugs crackdowns he allegedly oversaw while in office.
A three-judge panel found unanimously there were «substantial grounds» to believe the ex-leader was responsible for dozens of murders, first as mayor of the southern Philippine city of Davao and later as president.
Duterte, 80, was arrested in the Philippines last year and denies the charges against him.
In their 50-page decision, judges found that the evidence shows that Duterte «developed, disseminated and implemented» a policy «to ‘neutralize’ alleged criminals.»
FORMER HONDURAN PRESIDENT RELEASED FROM US PRISON AFTER TRUMP PARDON
Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte appears before lawmakers at the Senate on Oct. 28, 2024, in Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines, to answer questions about his war on drugs. (Ezra Acayan/Getty Images)
According to prosecutors, police and hit squad members carried out dozens of murders at Duterte’s behest, motivated by the promise of money or to avoid becoming targets themselves.
«For some, killing reached the level of a perverse form of competition,» deputy prosecutor Mame Mandiaye Niang told the court in pretrial hearings in February.
A date for the start of the trial has not yet been set.
Duterte’s lead defense lawyer Nick Kaufman told judges during the February hearings that he «stands behind his legacy resolutely, and he maintains his innocence absolutely.»
US MOVES TO EXPAND MISSILES IN PHILIPPINES, PUTTING CHINA WITHIN RANGE

Former President Rodrigo Duterte speaks inside Southorn Stadium during a thanksgiving gathering organized by Hong Kong-based Filipino workers on Sunday, March 9, 2025. (AP)
Kaufman argued that the prosecution «cherry-picked» examples of Duterte’s «bombastic rhetoric,» and his client’s words were never intended to incite violence.
Estimates of the death toll during Duterte’s presidential term vary, from the more than 6,000 that the national police have reported to up to 30,000 claimed by human rights groups.
Duterte has not been present in the courtroom for any hearings, having waived his right to appear. Last month judges found he was fit to stand trial, after postponing an earlier hearing over concerns about his health.

Security officers patrol the airport in Manila, Philippines, after former President Rodrigo Duterte was arrested on March 11, 2025. (Aaron Favila/AP)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
ICC prosecutors said in 2018 that they would open a preliminary investigation into the violent drug crackdowns. In a move that human rights activists say was aimed at avoiding accountability, Duterte, who was president at the time, announced a month later that the Philippines would leave the court.
On Wednesday, appeals judges rejected a request from Duterte’s legal team to throw out the case on the grounds that the court did not have jurisdiction because of the Philippine withdrawal.
rodrigo duterte, human rights united nations, trials, drugs, assassinations murders
INTERNACIONAL
Elecciones regionales en España: El PSOE de Sánchez sufrió su peor derrota en Andalucía, que volvió a dar el triunfo al conservador PP

Las otras fuerzas
La región más poblada y desocupada
Apuesta por la moderación
Contexto electoral
Calendario
INTERNACIONAL
Driver identified after car plows into crowd injuring 8; passerby stabbed

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A car reportedly drove into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring at least eight people.
The vehicle slammed into a store window, and its driver, identified as Salim El Koudri, 31, allegedly stabbed a passerby who attempted to intervene.
Mayor Massimo Mezzetti told Italian TV no one was killed, but eight people were injured, including four who were in critical condition.
Debris is seen in front of a wrecked car on a street in Modena, Italy, Saturday, after its driver allegedly rammed into a group of people and stabbed a passerby. (Lapresse via AP)
Mezzetti said the vehicle entered one of the city’s main streets and «drove onto the sidewalk, sending several people flying,» before crashing into the shop window.
He added one woman, who was pinned against a shop window, may require the amputation of both legs.
Authorities said El Koudri was born in Bergamo and raised in Modena with Maghreb origins, is unemployed, and was known to have mental disorders. There have been no confirmed links to extremist groups.
El Koudri was detained and questioned at police headquarters as authorities worked to determine if he acted deliberately, the mayor said. There was no indication he was under the influence at the time of the wreck.

Police patrol a scene after an incident in Modena, Italy, Saturday. (Lapresse via AP)
Modena Prefect Fabrizia Triolo told The Associated Press that El Koudri had «been known to local mental health services for schizoid disorders,» and early findings suggested «possible mental instability.»
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as «extremely serious» in a statement posted to X.
«I express my closeness to the injured people and their families,» Meloni wrote in the post. «I also extend my thanks to the citizens who bravely intervened to stop the perpetrator and to the law enforcement agencies for their response.»
Meloni said she has spoken with the mayor and remains in constant contact with the authorities to follow the developments of the situation.
«I trust that the perpetrator will be held fully accountable for his actions,» she wrote.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
italy, europe, crime world, world
INTERNACIONAL
Ministros de Finanzas del G7 se reúnen en París para debatir puntos en común frente a las tensiones económicas mundiales

Los ministros de Finanzas del G7 se reunirán este lunes en París para intentar encontrar puntos en común frente a las tensiones económicas mundiales y coordinar el suministro de minerales críticos, en medio de crecientes diferencias geopolíticas entre Estados Unidos y sus aliados.
La reunión de dos días tendrá lugar después de la cumbre entre el presidente estadounidense, Donald Trump, y el líder chino, Xi Jinping, en Beijing, un encuentro que dejó pocos avances económicos concretos y mantuvo latentes las tensiones sobre Taiwán y el comercio.
En el centro de la agenda estará lo que el ministro de Finanzas francés, Roland Lescure, describió como profundos desequilibrios económicos mundiales que alimentan las fricciones comerciales y aumentan el riesgo de una reorganización turbulenta de los mercados financieros.
“La forma en que se ha desarrollado la economía global durante los últimos 10 años es claramente insostenible”, dijo Lescure. El funcionario señaló un patrón en el que China “consume menos de lo que debería”, Estados Unidos “consume en exceso” y Europa “invierte menos de lo necesario”.
Lescure, anfitrión de las conversaciones, sostuvo además que el G7 ofrecerá una oportunidad para un diálogo franco entre aliados en un momento de crecientes desacuerdos con Washington.
“Estas conversaciones no son fáciles. No voy a decirles que estamos de acuerdo en todo, incluyendo, por supuesto, lo más importante con nuestros amigos estadounidenses”, afirmó antes del encuentro.
Los ministros de Finanzas estarán atentos a las novedades sobre las relaciones entre Estados Unidos y China después de la cumbre entre Trump y Xi y a los últimos esfuerzos estadounidenses para reabrir el estrecho de Ormuz, después de que la administración Trump permitiera que expirara el sábado la exención de sanciones al petróleo ruso transportado por vía marítima.
Según funcionarios franceses implicados en los preparativos, bastaría con que cada parte aceptara cierta responsabilidad por los desequilibrios en el comercio y los flujos de capital, aunque consideran probable que Estados Unidos se muestre reacio a esa posición.
Philip Luck, director del programa de economía del Centro de Estudios Estratégicos e Internacionales de Washington, puso en duda esa posibilidad. “Me sorprendería mucho que aceptaran la idea de que esto es culpa de Estados Unidos de alguna manera”, declaró Luck.
Los ministros también prevén debatir las consecuencias económicas del conflicto en Oriente Medio y la volatilidad de los mercados mundiales de bonos, una situación que preocupa especialmente a Japón.
El Ministerio de Finanzas británico informó que Rachel Reeves “presionaría para que se tomen medidas coordinadas para limitar la inflación y las presiones en la cadena de suministro, y para que se restablezca la libertad de navegación a través del estrecho de Ormuz” durante la reunión.
Según el gobierno británico, Reeves también reafirmará el deseo de Londres de reducir las barreras comerciales entre Gran Bretaña y la Unión Europea.
Las divisiones dentro del G7 complican los esfuerzos por mostrar unidad mientras los ministros se preparan para la cumbre de líderes prevista del 15 al 17 de junio en la ciudad francesa de Evian.
Otra de las prioridades de la reunión será la cuestión de los minerales críticos y las tierras raras, un sector en el que los gobiernos del G7 intentan coordinar esfuerzos para reducir la dependencia de China, que domina las cadenas de suministro necesarias para tecnologías como vehículos eléctricos, energías renovables y sistemas de defensa.
Lescure afirmó que el G7 impulsará una mayor coordinación para supervisar los mercados, anticipar interrupciones y desarrollar fuentes alternativas de suministro mediante proyectos conjuntos entre economías aliadas.
El objetivo es garantizar que “ningún país vuelva a tener el monopolio” de esos materiales, añadió.
Los países del G7 buscan acordar medidas comunes para estabilizar los mercados y fomentar la inversión nacional, con iniciativas que podrían incluir precios mínimos para productores, compras conjuntas y aranceles.
No obstante, Luck sostuvo que la iniciativa todavía se encuentra en una etapa inicial y consideró improbable un acuerdo amplio en el corto plazo.
“Estamos en las primeras etapas de este proceso”, afirmó. “No creo que haya consenso sobre una estrategia ni siquiera dentro del gobierno estadounidense, y mucho menos que seamos capaces de explicarla de forma convincente a nuestros socios para que la apoyen”, agregó.
(Con información de REUTERS)
Business,International Relations,Corporate Events,Diplomacy / Foreign Policy,Europe
ECONOMIA18 horas agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA3 días agoMarcela Pagano respondió a los agravios de Milei, que la había tildado de “cerda”
POLITICA2 días agoLa Justicia detectó movimientos por más de US$100.000 en las billeteras virtuales de Manuel Adorni
















