INTERNACIONAL
Can King Charles save the ever-fracturing ‘special relationship’ after Trump anger at Starmer over Iran war?

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
As Britain publicly distances itself from President Donald Trump’s Iran pressure campaign, King Charles III’s upcoming visit is shaping up as more than royal pageantry.
It may be Britain’s most important diplomatic tool for preventing growing policy fractures with Washington from becoming something deeper.
«The British monarch has historically had huge importance in terms of creating personal diplomacy to smooth over ruffled feathers,» Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society, a London-based think tank, told Fox News Digital, arguing that the crown has often served as Britain’s strategic stabilizer during moments of political strain.
Mendoza said Charles could play a critical role at a moment when Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government and Trump appear increasingly divided over Iran, defense strategy and the future shape of the transatlantic alliance.
TRUMP SLAMS STARMER AS ‘NOT WINSTON CHURCHILL’ FOR REFUSAL TO BACK IRAN STRIKES
The trip began in Washington, D.C., where King Charles and Queen Camilla were greeted by President Donald Trump and Melania Trump for a private tea. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
«King Charles has the opportunity, through personal diplomacy, to create a new beginning with Donald Trump,» Mendoza said.
Britain’s balancing act became clearer Monday when Deputy Minister Stephen Doughty publicly rejected U.S. blockade tactics against Iran, while still backing Washington’s broader effort to secure maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.
«While the U.K. doesn’t support the U.S. blockade, it supports working with the United States and others to reopen the Strait of Hormuz,» Doughty said ahead of a U.N. Security Council meeting, according to The Associated Press, warning Tehran cannot be allowed to hold «the rest of the world to ransom.»
The split underscores London’s effort to support U.S. security goals without fully endorsing Trump’s «economic fury» strategy, which aims to strangle Iran’s economic lifelines through aggressive maritime pressure.
That policy divergence has intensified scrutiny over whether Charles’ visit is now functioning as a diplomatic pressure valve.
A White House spokesperson emphasized the visit as a sign of enduring personal rapport between the president and the monarch. «President Trump has always had great respect for King Charles, and their relationship was further strengthened by the president’s historic trip to the United Kingdom last year,» White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Fox News Digital. «The president enjoyed welcoming their majesties to the White House, and he looks forward to more special events throughout the week.»
AS AIRSTRIKES RAIN DOWN ON THE IRANIAN REGIME, CAN A FRACTURED OPPOSITION UNITE TO LEAD IF IT FALLS?

King Charles III and Queen Camilla disembark their plane at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, on April 27, 2026, beginning their State Visit to the United States to celebrate the country’s 250th anniversary of independence. (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Mendoza pointed to Queen Elizabeth II’s past interventions as evidence that the monarchy can sometimes succeed where elected leaders cannot.
He cited Elizabeth’s historic role in easing tensions with Ireland and described royal diplomacy as uniquely positioned to create trust at the personal level.
«People often wonder why the British monarchy still exists in the 21st century,» Mendoza said. «This is why.»
Still, Mendoza was careful not to overstate the king’s role.
Charles, he said, is unlikely to directly influence specific policies on Iran, NATO or military cooperation. Instead, his greatest value lies in shaping what Mendoza called the «general mood music» around Trump’s willingness to engage.
«It’s more a question of general mood music, which could make the president more receptive to interesting solutions,» Mendoza said.
That distinction may prove crucial.
Rather than forcing policy alignment, Charles could help preserve the broader strategic atmosphere needed to keep Washington and London functioning as close allies even while their elected governments disagree.
KING CHARLES SENDS PERSONAL MESSAGE OF CONGRATULATIONS TO TRUMP ON SWEARING-IN

Prince Charles and Camilla hosted President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump during a state visit in 2019. (Chris Jackson – WPA Pool/Getty Images)
For Britain, that may be particularly important as outside analysts warn that the «special relationship» is under mounting structural strain.
In an analysis published Monday, Council on Foreign Relations senior fellow Matthias Matthijs argued that while the royal visit offers «spectacle and ritual,» it is unlikely to reverse what he described as the deeper unraveling of U.S.–U.K. ties.
Matthijs pointed to Trump’s repeated criticisms of Starmer about immigration, energy policy and Britain’s posture toward the U.S.-Israeli confrontation with Iran, suggesting Charles may now be doing much of the diplomatic «heavy lifting» required to preserve British access to Trump.
Meanwhile, constitutional scholars in Britain have also raised concerns.
Writing for the U.K. Constitutional Law Association earlier in April, Francesca Jackson warned that using the monarch as a diplomatic instrument during periods of sharp political volatility could expose the Crown to political backlash or «potential embarrassment,» especially if Charles is perceived as caught between Trump and Starmer.
That risk reflects the broader stakes.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

King Charles III and President Donald Trump inspect the Guard of Honour during the state visit at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England, Sept. 17, 2025. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
If Trump embraces Charles while continuing to criticize Starmer, the visit could preserve royal rapport while underscoring political dysfunction, effectively creating a parallel diplomatic lane between Washington and the British Crown.
But for now, Mendoza argues, the monarchy’s purpose is not governance, but access to the king, which may still have a chance to keep the relationship from fracturing beyond repair.
Fox News Digital reached out to Prime Minister Starmer’s office for comment.
king charles iii, donald trump, foreign policy, united kingdom, british royals
INTERNACIONAL
Crisis en Cuba: «A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización» de la isla

El hastío y la rabia de los cubanos
El cacerolazo se ha convertido en la forma de protesta por excelencia en toda Cuba. En cualquier lugar, la gente suena una cazuela
A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización cubana
La presión que está ejerciendo Estados Unidos obviamente lo está descolocando (al gobierno) de alguna manera. Y ciertamente la gente se asombró.
Solución entre cubanos
Debe haber una amnistía en Cuba
Si hablamos de reconciliación, debemos pensar también en una amnistía para aquellos que están en el gobierno
INTERNACIONAL
Trump pulls back curtain on White House ballroom’s fortress-like defenses above and deep below

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
President Donald Trump gave reporters a fresh look Tuesday at construction of the new White House ballroom, touting it as a hardened security structure that runs six stories into the ground.
«This goes down very deep,» Trump said Tuesday from outside of the White House, motioning for reporters to check out construction updates. «You get a better view right over here. … These are already down two floors. That is down about six stories deep. That’s big stuff. Normally, when you build a ballroom, you build it flat. You just throw the ballroom. It would have been built.»
Trump said the future White House ballroom not just as an event venue, but as a hardened security structure designed to support presidential operations and large gatherings amid heightened concerns following a shooting tied to the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.
‘SHARK TANK’ STAR BACKS TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM PLAN AMID SECURITY CONCERNS: ‘IT’S BIPARTISAN’
Trump gave a tour of the White House Ballroom construction to the press on Tuesday. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump revealed that the ballroom will run about six stories deep, describing the building as made of «impenetrable» steel and four-inch-thick glass. He said 9,000 pounds of concrete is being used.
He said the building would include a military hospital research facilities, various meeting rooms and security infrastructure tied to drone and missile defense.
The roof is «dead flat» with «absolutely nothing but strength on it,» said Trump as he went on to describe the roof as a «drone port» with «unlimited numbers of drones» and military positioning capacity.

A view of the construction site of US President Donald Trump’s proposed ballroom as he speaks to the press at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 19, 2026 (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
«I hate to use the word snipers, but we have great sniper capacities built for our snipers. Not the enemy snipers, our snipers. And because of the height, we get a very clear view of everything all over Washington,» said Trump.
PHOTOS: THE MAKING OF TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM, A LOOK AT THE CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS

Workers are seen as Trump speaks to the press at the construction site of the White House ballroom. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
Responding to questions about the ballroom funding, Trump said Congress is approving funds for security enhancements, while stressing that he and donors, who are funding the project, «put up a lot of money to build» the new ballroom.
The Senate parliamentarian rejected Republicans’ effort to include a $1 billion White House and Secret Service security funding proposal in a reconciliation package on Sunday, with the request tied in part to security upgrades for Trump’s planned East Wing ballroom and broader White House security needs.
TRUMP’S DC BEAUTIFICATION PUSH WINS RARE DEM PRAISE AS PRESIDENT SNAPS LANDMARKS BACK TO LIFE

«The money that’s being put up to build the ballroom and again, the ballroom, it’s necessary for the ballroom to be built with what you see over here. It’s all knitted. The air conditioning, the heating, the drone capacity, the shield. You know, the ballroom becomes a shield for everything that you see right here,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
The ballroom is also facing a National Trust for Historic Preservation lawsuit arguing the administration lacked authority in demolishing the East Wing, though the litigation has not fully resolved the project’s future.
Construction and landscaping projects across Washington, D.C., have accelerated in recent months as the nation prepares to celebrate its 250th birthday in July, with many fountains across the city being restored.
During the press preview, Trump also revealed he made a «multimillion» contribution toward restoration work around Lafayette Park and nearby White House grounds during an exchange on the beautification projects he is doing around Washington, D.C.

«We built it all inside the building… because we don’t want to have anything having to do with air or air quality or any problems playing with the air,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
New fountains in Lafayette Park, located in downtown D.C., were turned on for the first time last month.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Nine fountains are being rehabilitated and returned to service, while nine other operational fountains are set to receive maintenance and system upgrades, according to the National Park Service.
Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for additional comment Tuesday.
white house, national security, drones, washington dc, a250 innovation, donald trump
INTERNACIONAL
WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola spread, says emergency committee will meet

WHO issues WARNING after DEADLY ebola outbreak
The CDC is coordinating the ‘safe withdrawal’ of at least six Americans exposed to a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo after the WHO declared a global health emergency.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The head of the World Health Organization announced a meeting of his emergency committee regarding the «scale and speed» of the Ebola outbreak in the Congo and Uganda on Tuesday.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cited data saying there have been over 500 suspected cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in recent weeks, and 33 confirmed cases. There have been two confirmed cases in Uganda. The outbreak has seen a total of 131 fatalities.
«I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,» Tedros said in a Tuesday statement.
Tedros is meeting with the WHO’s Emergency Committee later Tuesday.
US ISSUES URGENT TRAVEL WARNING AS DEADLY EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS OVERSEAS
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, speaks during an event. (Lian Yi/Xinhua via Getty Images)
There are several factors that have made the WHO concerned about the potential for further spread, such as cases in urban areas, including Kampala, Uganda, and Goma in the DRC, as well as the conflict-affected province of Ituri.
The WHO has approved $3.9 million in emergency funding to support national authorities as they respond to the outbreak.
The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency on Sunday, and the U.S. issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC shortly after on Monday.
UGANDA STARTS CLINICAL TRIAL OF VACCINE FOR SUDAN STRAIN OF EBOLA AMID NEW OUTBREAK

A health worker sprays disinfectant on a colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo, on Sept. 9, 2018. (Al-hadji Kudra Maliro/AP)
Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, a rarer variant for which existing vaccines may be less effective.
The State Department warns that Ebola is a «rare, severe and often fatal hemorrhagic fever illness.»
The virus can spread through direct contact with infected individuals, bodily fluids, infected corpses and objects contaminated with the virus.
CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER DESCRIBES UNCERTAINTY AFTER 3 DEATHS AMID HANTAVIRUS PROBE
«The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Ituri province,» the advisory noted. «Do not travel to this area for any reason.»

Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship tied to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that left three passengers dead. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)
The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring a rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship, which left multiple passengers and crew members sick, and caused three deaths.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
As of May 13, the WHO said 11 hantavirus cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases and one inconclusive case.
Fox News’ Andrea Margolis and Michael Sinkewicz and Reuters contributed to this report.
world health organization, ebola, hantavirus, africa, outbreaks
ECONOMIA2 días agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA2 días agoJorge Macri defendió una eventual candidatura a presidente de Mauricio Macri: “Todo el mundo tiene derecho a competir”
POLITICA1 día agoEl PRO redobló las críticas contra La Libertad Avanza y elevó la tensión: «Cuando ellos estaban callados, nosotros combatíamos al kirchnerismo”

















