INTERNACIONAL
Mamdani vetoes first bill in sign of tensions with NYC council

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani issued his first veto Friday, halting City Council bill Int. 175-B that would have forced the NYPD to publicize plans for handling protests near schools and other educational facilities.
It is the latest sign of Mamdani’s growing clash with Council leadership, deepening an early power struggle with Council Speaker Julie Menin over policing, public safety and free speech.
«The problem is how widely this bill defines an educational institution and the constitutional concerns it raises regarding New Yorkers’ fundamental right to protest,» Mamdani wrote in a statement. «As the bill is written, everywhere from universities to museums to teaching hospitals could face restrictions.»
«This could impact workers protesting ICE, or college students demanding their school divest from fossil fuels or demonstrating in support of Palestinian rights,» he continued.
ISRAELI COMEDIAN DROPS OUT OF PASSOVER EVENT AFTER LEARNING OF MAMDANI’S ATTENDANCE
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani and City Council Speaker Julie Menin have gotten off to a shaky start, already battling it out over a veto on NYPD protecting student protests. (Gardiner Anderson/New York Daily News)
«Int. 175-B is not a narrow public safety measure; it is a piece of legislation that has alarmed much of the labor movement, reproductive rights groups, and immigration advocates, among others, across this City. Nearly a dozen unions have raised the alarm about its impact on their ability to organize,» the mayor added.
Menin is going to work to whip up votes to override Mamdani on the bill, which finished just four votes shy of being veto-proof, passing last month 30-19.
«Ensuring students can enter and exit their schools without fear of harassment or intimidation should not be controversial,» Menin wrote in a statement. «This bill simply requires the NYPD to clearly outline how it will ensure safe access when there are threats of obstruction or physical injury, while fully protecting First Amendment rights.»
HOUSE REPUBLICANS DEMAND TRUMP ADMIN DENY MAMDANI FEDERAL SECURITY CLEARANCE

NYPD officers detain a demonstrator during a protest along Third Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, on April 13, 2026, amid a two-week ceasefire in the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran. (Shannon Stapleton/Reuters)
The bill, sponsored by Councilman Eric Dinowitz, would have required police to submit a protest-response plan to the mayor and speaker and post it online. It also would have required the police commissioner to provide a public point of contact for any effort to manage demonstrations near educational sites.
Dinowitz pushed back on claims that the bill threatened free speech.
«Should students be harassed on the way to school? I think the answer is no,» he told The New York Times.
MAMDANI RIPPED BY RIVALS FOR UNPOPULAR STANCE DURING FIERY NYC DEBATE: ‘YOU WON’T SUPPORT ISRAEL’
Opponents on the left said the measure would expand protest policing and chill protected speech.
The fight also exposed one of the biggest political fault lines at City Hall: how to respond to protests tied to Israel and the war in Gaza. The issue gained momentum after a heated protest outside a Manhattan synagogue last fall, where some demonstrators shouted, «Death to the IDF,» and, «Globalize the intifada.»
«Sending the message to New Yorkers that we have something to worry about with regard to protest by or near schools, libraries, teaching hospitals is absolutely the wrong message for these times, especially when the Trump regime is coming at protest with a sledgehammer,» New York Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Donna Lieberman told the Times.
Jewish groups including UJA-Federation of New York blasted the veto, rebuking the «profound failure of City Hall to demonstrate to all New Yorkers that our safety is a priority.»
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
«At a time when Jewish and other communities across our city are facing heightened threats, this legislation represented a crucial step toward ensuring that every school and community institution can be better protected,» the group wrote in a statement.
Mamdani and Menin — the city’s first Jewish speaker — had shown signs this week of trying to cool things down, including a Thursday dinner to discuss the pending veto and other issues, the Times reported. Friday’s decision suggested the détente may not last.
zohran mamdani, us protests, first amendment elections, religion, antifa
INTERNACIONAL
El régimen de Irán amenazó a Estados Unidos con romper el bloqueo en Ormuz y aseguró que el mar de Omán será “su cementerio”

El régimen de Irán amenazó a Estados Unidos con romper el bloqueo naval en el estrecho de Ormuz y advirtió que el mar de Omán podría convertirse en “su cementerio”, mientras Emiratos Árabes Unidos denunció un ataque con drones contra una planta nuclear y Arabia Saudita informó la interceptación de tres aparatos no tripulados.
Mohsen Rezai, asesor militar del líder supremo iraní, el ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, sostuvo que Teherán considera el bloqueo impulsado por Washington como “la continuación de la guerra” y afirmó que el actual alto el fuego “es unilateral”.
“Aunque Trump no entienda que un bloqueo es la continuación de la guerra, las Fuerzas Armadas del mundo lo saben; solo el campo de batalla ha permanecido en silencio”, declaró Rezai en una entrevista con la radiotelevisión estatal iraní IRIB.
El funcionario iraní afirmó además que “Irán romperá este bloqueo naval” y “aconsejó” a las Fuerzas Armadas estadounidenses “poner fin al bloqueo antes de que el mar de Omán se convierta en su cementerio”.
Rezai aseguró también que fuerzas iraníes dañaron uno de los buques estadounidenses durante la operación lanzada por Washington para reabrir el estrecho de Ormuz. “El Ejército y el Cuerpo de la Guardia Revolucionaria Islámica se plantaron frente a los estadounidenses, y uno de los tres buques estadounidenses sufrió graves daños por el fuego de nuestros misiles, algo de lo que no dijeron ni una palabra”, afirmó.
“Nuestras Fuerzas Armadas están listas para la acción, y al mismo tiempo, la diplomacia continúa”, agregó. “Irán se toma en serio la diplomacia y las negociaciones, pero se toma aún más en serio el trato con el agresor”, señaló.
Las declaraciones de Rezai coincidieron con nuevas advertencias del presidente estadounidense Donald Trump sobre las negociaciones entre ambos países. “Para Irán, el reloj está corriendo, y más vale que se muevan, RÁPIDO, o no quedará nada de ellos. ¡EL TIEMPO ES ESENCIAL!”, escribió Trump en Truth Social.
Por su parte, el portavoz de las Fuerzas Armadas iraníes, Abolfazl Shekarchi, afirmó que si Estados Unidos concreta sus amenazas, ese país “enfrentará escenarios nuevos, agresivos y sorpresivos, y se hundirá en un pantano creado por sí mismo”.
En paralelo, Emiratos Árabes Unidos informó el domingo que un ataque con drones provocó un incendio en la planta nuclear de Barakah. La oficina de medios de Abu Dhabi señaló que uno de los drones impactó contra un generador eléctrico situado fuera del perímetro interno de la central nuclear. Las autoridades indicaron que no hubo heridos y que los niveles de seguridad radiológica no se vieron afectados.
El Ministerio de Defensa emiratí informó además que otros dos drones fueron interceptados “con éxito” y señaló que los aparatos fueron lanzados desde la “frontera occidental”, sin ofrecer más detalles.
Un asesor diplomático del presidente emiratí citado por REUTERS calificó el episodio como una “peligrosa escalada”, independientemente de si fue ejecutado por “el principal perpetrador” o por alguno de sus aliados.

Posteriormente, la Autoridad Federal de Regulación Nuclear confirmó que la planta permanecía segura y que no hubo liberación de material radiactivo.
El Organismo Internacional de Energía Atómica indicó que generadores diésel de emergencia suministraban energía a la “unidad 3” de Barakah y pidió “máxima moderación militar” cerca de instalaciones nucleares.
Arabia Saudita también informó el domingo que interceptó tres drones que ingresaron desde espacio aéreo iraquí y advirtió que tomará “las medidas operativas necesarias” para responder a cualquier intento de vulnerar su soberanía y seguridad.
Durante la guerra iniciada el 28 de febrero con ataques de Estados Unidos e Israel contra Irán, Teherán lanzó operaciones contra Emiratos y otros países del Golfo que albergan bases militares estadounidenses. Los objetivos incluyeron infraestructura civil y energética.
Irán intensificó esos ataques este mes después de que Trump anunciara una misión naval para intentar reabrir el estrecho de Ormuz, iniciativa que suspendió 48 horas después.

Más de cinco semanas después de la entrada en vigor del alto el fuego, Washington y Teherán mantienen posiciones enfrentadas pese a los contactos diplomáticos para poner fin al conflicto y reabrir el estrecho, una de las rutas marítimas más importantes para el transporte de petróleo y gas.
Estados Unidos reclama que Irán desmantele su programa nuclear y levante sus restricciones sobre el estrecho. Teherán exige compensaciones por daños de guerra, el fin del bloqueo sobre sus puertos y el cese de los combates en todos los frentes, incluido Líbano, donde Israel combate al grupo terrorista Hezbollah respaldado por Irán.
Israel y Líbano acordaron el viernes una prórroga de 45 días del alto el fuego en la frontera, aunque los enfrentamientos continuaron.
(Con información de Europa Press y Reuters)
Business,War,Corporate Events,Middle East,Military Conflicts
INTERNACIONAL
Elecciones regionales en España: El PSOE de Sánchez sufrió su peor derrota en Andalucía, que volvió a dar el triunfo al conservador PP

Las otras fuerzas
La región más poblada y desocupada
Apuesta por la moderación
Contexto electoral
Calendario
INTERNACIONAL
Driver identified after car plows into crowd injuring 8; passerby stabbed

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A car reportedly drove into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring at least eight people.
The vehicle slammed into a store window, and its driver, identified as Salim El Koudri, 31, allegedly stabbed a passerby who attempted to intervene.
Mayor Massimo Mezzetti told Italian TV no one was killed, but eight people were injured, including four who were in critical condition.
Debris is seen in front of a wrecked car on a street in Modena, Italy, Saturday, after its driver allegedly rammed into a group of people and stabbed a passerby. (Lapresse via AP)
Mezzetti said the vehicle entered one of the city’s main streets and «drove onto the sidewalk, sending several people flying,» before crashing into the shop window.
He added one woman, who was pinned against a shop window, may require the amputation of both legs.
Authorities said El Koudri was born in Bergamo and raised in Modena with Maghreb origins, is unemployed, and was known to have mental disorders. There have been no confirmed links to extremist groups.
El Koudri was detained and questioned at police headquarters as authorities worked to determine if he acted deliberately, the mayor said. There was no indication he was under the influence at the time of the wreck.

Police patrol a scene after an incident in Modena, Italy, Saturday. (Lapresse via AP)
Modena Prefect Fabrizia Triolo told The Associated Press that El Koudri had «been known to local mental health services for schizoid disorders,» and early findings suggested «possible mental instability.»
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as «extremely serious» in a statement posted to X.
«I express my closeness to the injured people and their families,» Meloni wrote in the post. «I also extend my thanks to the citizens who bravely intervened to stop the perpetrator and to the law enforcement agencies for their response.»
Meloni said she has spoken with the mayor and remains in constant contact with the authorities to follow the developments of the situation.
«I trust that the perpetrator will be held fully accountable for his actions,» she wrote.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
italy, europe, crime world, world
ECONOMIA20 horas agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA3 días agoMarcela Pagano respondió a los agravios de Milei, que la había tildado de “cerda”
POLITICA2 días agoLa Justicia detectó movimientos por más de US$100.000 en las billeteras virtuales de Manuel Adorni
















