INTERNACIONAL
Republicans rush to green light White House ballroom following third Trump assassination scare

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Republicans are rushing to give President Donald Trump’s controversial ballroom addition to the White House the congressional go-ahead after a shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.
Lawmakers argue that Trump’s desire to build a ballroom at the White House — which ground to a halt after being snarled in litigation — would provide an ideal secure venue for future events following the shooting at the Washington Hilton on Saturday.
Sen. Tim Sheehy, R-Mont., announced he would try to fast-track a bill to give congressional approval for construction of the ballroom in the Senate when the upper chamber returns this week.
HOUSE GOP PUSHES BACK ON SENATE’S ‘SKINNY’ PLAN TO END RECORD-BREAKING DHS SHUTDOWN
First Lady Melania Trump and President Donald Trump attend the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., on April 25, 2026. (Mandel Ngan/AFP)
He argued that «a president of any party should be able to host events in a secure area without attendees worrying about their safety.»
«It is an embarrassment to the strongest nation on Earth that we cannot host gatherings in our nation’s capital, including ones attended by our president, without the threat of violence and attempted assassinations,» Sheehy said in a statement.
It’s an about-face on Capitol Hill for Republicans, who, since Trump first announced his plans to build a ballroom last year, have largely kept their distance from the issue.
And it’s one spurred by the shooting on Saturday night, where Cole Allen was subdued by federal law enforcement after exchanging gunfire near the ballroom of the Washington Hilton, where Trump and his Cabinet, along with hundreds of guests, were seated for the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.
But a lawsuit and an ensuing court-ordered injunction against the 90,000-square-foot, $400 million gilded behemoth — which was being built where the White House’s East Wing once stood — have thrown the future of the project into question.
SENATE GOP RAMS THROUGH BLUEPRINT TO BANKROLL ICE, BORDER PATROL THROUGH END OF TRUMP ERA

President Donald Trump holds a rendering of the planned $400 million White House Ballroom extension during a meeting with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte in the Oval Office in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 22, 2025. (Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg)
A federal court ordered in March that the construction end without congressional approval. That ruling was later appealed to allow construction to continue below ground for what Trump previously described as a «shed» for a military complex.
After the shooting, Trump pushed for construction to continue.
«We need the ballroom,» Trump said at a news conference Saturday night. «That’s why Secret Service, that’s why the military are demanding it.»
TRUMP ADMIN URGES RESTORING BALLROOM CONSTRUCTION IN EMERGENCY MOTION: ‘TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE’

President Donald Trump shared a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom on Truth Social on Feb. 3, 2026. (Copyright Donald Trump/Truth Social)
Now Republicans are getting involved. Reps. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., and Randy Fine, R-Fla., like Sheehy, are planning to introduce legislation that would give congressional approval to the project.
«I don’t believe congressional approval is required for the project, but if it’ll keep activist judges on the sideline, so be it,» Boebert said on X.
The latest legislative push in the lower chamber comes during a week full of deadlines and must-do items for House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La. Among them is consideration of the Senate’s budget blueprint to fund immigration operations for the remainder of Trump’s presidency.
At least one lawmaker, Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, wants any consideration of the blueprint to «provide for construction of a secure ballroom on White House grounds.»
For now, it’s not entirely a partisan issue.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., one of the few Democrats at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner, argued that rancor between the aisles should be put aside to support ballroom construction.
«That venue wasn’t built to accommodate an event with the line of succession for the U.S. government,» Fetterman said on X. «After witnessing last night, drop the TDS and build the White House ballroom for events exactly like these.»
politics, national security, congress, white house, republicans, senate elections
INTERNACIONAL
Elecciones regionales en España: El PSOE de Sánchez sufrió su peor derrota en Andalucía, que volvió a dar el triunfo al conservador PP

Las otras fuerzas
La región más poblada y desocupada
Apuesta por la moderación
Contexto electoral
Calendario
INTERNACIONAL
Driver identified after car plows into crowd injuring 8; passerby stabbed

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A car reportedly drove into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring at least eight people.
The vehicle slammed into a store window, and its driver, identified as Salim El Koudri, 31, allegedly stabbed a passerby who attempted to intervene.
Mayor Massimo Mezzetti told Italian TV no one was killed, but eight people were injured, including four who were in critical condition.
Debris is seen in front of a wrecked car on a street in Modena, Italy, Saturday, after its driver allegedly rammed into a group of people and stabbed a passerby. (Lapresse via AP)
Mezzetti said the vehicle entered one of the city’s main streets and «drove onto the sidewalk, sending several people flying,» before crashing into the shop window.
He added one woman, who was pinned against a shop window, may require the amputation of both legs.
Authorities said El Koudri was born in Bergamo and raised in Modena with Maghreb origins, is unemployed, and was known to have mental disorders. There have been no confirmed links to extremist groups.
El Koudri was detained and questioned at police headquarters as authorities worked to determine if he acted deliberately, the mayor said. There was no indication he was under the influence at the time of the wreck.

Police patrol a scene after an incident in Modena, Italy, Saturday. (Lapresse via AP)
Modena Prefect Fabrizia Triolo told The Associated Press that El Koudri had «been known to local mental health services for schizoid disorders,» and early findings suggested «possible mental instability.»
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as «extremely serious» in a statement posted to X.
«I express my closeness to the injured people and their families,» Meloni wrote in the post. «I also extend my thanks to the citizens who bravely intervened to stop the perpetrator and to the law enforcement agencies for their response.»
Meloni said she has spoken with the mayor and remains in constant contact with the authorities to follow the developments of the situation.
«I trust that the perpetrator will be held fully accountable for his actions,» she wrote.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
italy, europe, crime world, world
INTERNACIONAL
Ministros de Finanzas del G7 se reúnen en París para debatir puntos en común frente a las tensiones económicas mundiales

Los ministros de Finanzas del G7 se reunirán este lunes en París para intentar encontrar puntos en común frente a las tensiones económicas mundiales y coordinar el suministro de minerales críticos, en medio de crecientes diferencias geopolíticas entre Estados Unidos y sus aliados.
La reunión de dos días tendrá lugar después de la cumbre entre el presidente estadounidense, Donald Trump, y el líder chino, Xi Jinping, en Beijing, un encuentro que dejó pocos avances económicos concretos y mantuvo latentes las tensiones sobre Taiwán y el comercio.
En el centro de la agenda estará lo que el ministro de Finanzas francés, Roland Lescure, describió como profundos desequilibrios económicos mundiales que alimentan las fricciones comerciales y aumentan el riesgo de una reorganización turbulenta de los mercados financieros.
“La forma en que se ha desarrollado la economía global durante los últimos 10 años es claramente insostenible”, dijo Lescure. El funcionario señaló un patrón en el que China “consume menos de lo que debería”, Estados Unidos “consume en exceso” y Europa “invierte menos de lo necesario”.
Lescure, anfitrión de las conversaciones, sostuvo además que el G7 ofrecerá una oportunidad para un diálogo franco entre aliados en un momento de crecientes desacuerdos con Washington.
“Estas conversaciones no son fáciles. No voy a decirles que estamos de acuerdo en todo, incluyendo, por supuesto, lo más importante con nuestros amigos estadounidenses”, afirmó antes del encuentro.
Los ministros de Finanzas estarán atentos a las novedades sobre las relaciones entre Estados Unidos y China después de la cumbre entre Trump y Xi y a los últimos esfuerzos estadounidenses para reabrir el estrecho de Ormuz, después de que la administración Trump permitiera que expirara el sábado la exención de sanciones al petróleo ruso transportado por vía marítima.
Según funcionarios franceses implicados en los preparativos, bastaría con que cada parte aceptara cierta responsabilidad por los desequilibrios en el comercio y los flujos de capital, aunque consideran probable que Estados Unidos se muestre reacio a esa posición.
Philip Luck, director del programa de economía del Centro de Estudios Estratégicos e Internacionales de Washington, puso en duda esa posibilidad. “Me sorprendería mucho que aceptaran la idea de que esto es culpa de Estados Unidos de alguna manera”, declaró Luck.
Los ministros también prevén debatir las consecuencias económicas del conflicto en Oriente Medio y la volatilidad de los mercados mundiales de bonos, una situación que preocupa especialmente a Japón.
El Ministerio de Finanzas británico informó que Rachel Reeves “presionaría para que se tomen medidas coordinadas para limitar la inflación y las presiones en la cadena de suministro, y para que se restablezca la libertad de navegación a través del estrecho de Ormuz” durante la reunión.
Según el gobierno británico, Reeves también reafirmará el deseo de Londres de reducir las barreras comerciales entre Gran Bretaña y la Unión Europea.
Las divisiones dentro del G7 complican los esfuerzos por mostrar unidad mientras los ministros se preparan para la cumbre de líderes prevista del 15 al 17 de junio en la ciudad francesa de Evian.
Otra de las prioridades de la reunión será la cuestión de los minerales críticos y las tierras raras, un sector en el que los gobiernos del G7 intentan coordinar esfuerzos para reducir la dependencia de China, que domina las cadenas de suministro necesarias para tecnologías como vehículos eléctricos, energías renovables y sistemas de defensa.
Lescure afirmó que el G7 impulsará una mayor coordinación para supervisar los mercados, anticipar interrupciones y desarrollar fuentes alternativas de suministro mediante proyectos conjuntos entre economías aliadas.
El objetivo es garantizar que “ningún país vuelva a tener el monopolio” de esos materiales, añadió.
Los países del G7 buscan acordar medidas comunes para estabilizar los mercados y fomentar la inversión nacional, con iniciativas que podrían incluir precios mínimos para productores, compras conjuntas y aranceles.
No obstante, Luck sostuvo que la iniciativa todavía se encuentra en una etapa inicial y consideró improbable un acuerdo amplio en el corto plazo.
“Estamos en las primeras etapas de este proceso”, afirmó. “No creo que haya consenso sobre una estrategia ni siquiera dentro del gobierno estadounidense, y mucho menos que seamos capaces de explicarla de forma convincente a nuestros socios para que la apoyen”, agregó.
(Con información de REUTERS)
Business,International Relations,Corporate Events,Diplomacy / Foreign Policy,Europe
ECONOMIA18 horas agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA3 días agoMarcela Pagano respondió a los agravios de Milei, que la había tildado de “cerda”
POLITICA2 días agoLa Justicia detectó movimientos por más de US$100.000 en las billeteras virtuales de Manuel Adorni
















