Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

Rubio to visit Italy, Vatican amid troop drawdown call, tension with Trump, Pope Leo: reports

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Secretary of State Marco Rubio is reportedly planning to travel to the Vatican and Italy this week for meetings aimed at steadying relations after public spats between President Donald Trump, Pope Leo and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

Advertisement

Rubio, a Catholic, is expected to meet with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s top diplomatic official, Reuters reported, citing Italian newspapers La Repubblica and Corriere della Sera.

Rubio is also expected to hold talks with Italy’s foreign and defense ministers, the Italian newspapers reported.

The visit would come at a tense moment for U.S.-European relations. The Pentagon on Friday announced a drawdown of 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany, the largest American base presence in Europe, as disagreements over Iran and tariffs deepen strains between Washington and several European capitals.

Advertisement

TRUMP MEETS WITH ITALIAN PM GIORGIA MELONI AT HIS MAR-A-LAGO RESORT

Trump added he «probably should» weigh a drawdown of U.S. troops for NATO in Italy, too.

«Why shouldn’t I? Italy has not been of any help to us, and Spain has been horrible,» Trump said Friday from the Oval Office.

Advertisement

«I didn’t need the help, but I said, ‘yeah, we’d love to have your help, because I want to see if they’d do it. And they, in all cases, they said, ‘We don’t want to get involved.’ And you know the amazing thing is they use the Strait of Hormuz, and we don’t. We don’t use it. We don’t need it. We have a lot of oil.»

Trump has praised Rubio for his peacemaking and diplomatic efforts.

FIRST AMERICAN POPE WELCOMES VANCE AND RUBIO FOR PRIVATE VATICAN AUDIENCE

Advertisement

«People like you,» Trump said of Rubio during his State of the Union address earlier this year. The president even joked he might consider firing Rubio after the Munich Security Conference for being so likable and effective on the world stage.

«You have done a great job, a great Secretary of State. I think he’ll go down as the best ever.»

Pope Leo and President Donald Trump engage in a public back-and-forth between the Catholic Church and the proverbial leader of the free world. (Getty Images)

Advertisement

Italy remains one of the largest hosts of U.S. forces in Europe, with nearly 13,000 active-duty American troops stationed across six bases at the end of 2025.

It is uncertain whether Rubio will also meet with the pope, who has been critical of the Trump administration’s peacemaking efforts in the Middle East.

Rubio and Vice President JD Vance attended Pope Leo’s inaugural Mass in St. Peter’s Square and held a private meeting with him the following day in May 2025.

Advertisement

TRUMP ACCUSES POPE LEO OF BEING ‘TERRIBLE’ ON FOREIGN POLICY OVER PONTIFF’S ANTI-WAR COMMENTS

Pope Leo XIV meeting with Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Vatican City

Pope Leo XIV met with Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Vatican City last May; Rubio has been lauded by President Donald Trump as someone who is able to bridge gaps in diplomatic relations unlike any other. (Vatican Media/Vatican Pool/Getty Images)

The reported trip also comes weeks after Trump drew criticism from Christians across the political spectrum for attacking Leo on social media, including at one point calling the pontiff «terrible.»

«I have no fear of the Trump administration,» Pope Leo said last month before backing down and saying «I will not enter into debate.»

Advertisement

Trump had repeatedly blasted the pope for criticizing the war on Iran and the Trump administration’s hard-line immigration policies.

POPE LEO SLAMS THOSE WHO ‘MANIPULATE RELIGION’ FOR MILITARY OR POLITICAL GAIN, TRUMP RESPONDS

«Pope Leo is WEAK on Crime, and terrible for Foreign Policy,» Trump wrote in a scathing Truth Social post.

Advertisement

«Leo should get his act together as Pope, use Common Sense, stop catering to the Radical Left, and focus on being a Great Pope, not a Politician. It’s hurting him very badly and, more importantly, it’s hurting the Catholic Church,» he concluded.

Fox News reached out to the White House, State Department, Holy See press office and the Italian government for comment.

The trip is aimed in part at easing tensions between Washington and Rome after Trump publicly criticized Meloni, one of his closest European allies, over her stance on the Iran war and her defense of the pope.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Corriere reported that Rubio’s schedule has not been finalized. La Repubblica said a meeting with Meloni has not been ruled out.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Advertisement

pope leo xiv, italy, vatican, marco rubio, secretary of state

Advertisement

INTERNACIONAL

US embassy in Ukraine warns of ‘potentially significant air attack’ that could happen in next 24 hours

Published

on



NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a security alert Saturday warning that a «potentially significant air attack» could hit the city in the next 24 hours.

Advertisement

The U.S. Mission Ukraine said in a statement, «The U.S. embassy in Kyiv has received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours.»

«The embassy, as always, recommends U.S. citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event an air alert is announced,» the warning added.

The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



ukraine, russia

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Cómo una renuncia inesperada abrió la puerta a la mayor fractura del papado en la Edad Media

Published

on


El papado de Avignon acentuó la influencia política francesa sobre la Iglesia, lo que exacerbó las críticas sobre la independencia de la autoridad papal (Imagen Ilustrativa Infobae)

En la turbulencia de la Edad Media, el papa emergió como la máxima autoridad, encabezando la Iglesia católica y ejerciendo un control absoluto sobre el orden espiritual y político de Europa occidental.

Considerado sucesor de San Pedro y líder indiscutible de la cristiandad, el papa ocupaba un rol central en una sociedad marcada por la influencia religiosa en la ley, la educación, la monarquía y las estructuras del día a día.

Advertisement

Según HistoryExtra, ese poder supremo coexistía con una realidad estructural: no existía un mecanismo claro para destituir a un papa, lo que convertía la sede de Pedro en un cargo especialmente expuesto ante el ojo público y las disputas internas. El pontífice reclamaba una autoridad divina que, al menos en teoría, superaba a todos los reyes y príncipes terrenos.

En los siglos finales de la Edad Media, esa supremacía fue puesta a prueba por disputas y escándalos que afectaron la integridad del sistema eclesiástico y las bases de la unidad religiosa europea.

El régimen papal asentaba su legitimidad en un principio categórico: “Solo puede haber un papa”, indicó la historiadora Hannah Skoda en el pódcast History Behind the Headlines. Así, la existencia de papas rivales, lejos de ser una excepción, significaba la fragmentación de la cristiandad en facciones enemigas.

Advertisement

Incluso la propia naturaleza inamovible del cargo sumaba una vulnerabilidad esencial para todo el sistema. Según Skoda, “no es posible renunciar siendo papa”, y cualquier intento de impugnar esa posición provocaba crisis capaces de desestabilizar a toda la Iglesia.

A finales del siglo XIII, la elección de Celestino V sorprendió a Europa. Anciano y ermitaño, de vida de retiro y oración, su perfil distaba mucho del habitual en los grupos de poder eclesiástico. “Realmente se preocupaba por los pobres”, indica Skoda, pero carecía del temperamento necesario para manejar los conflictos y la diplomacia inherentes al papado.

La administración de la Iglesia, inmersa en pleitos legales, recaudación de impuestos y relaciones con los gobernantes, requería virtudes espirituales y habilidades administrativas en las que Celestino reconocía sus propias limitaciones.

Advertisement

Abrumado ante esas exigencias y consciente de su falta de aptitud política, abdicó pocos meses después de su elección, decisión que conmocionó a la cristiandad medieval y cuestionó el fundamento de la permanencia vitalicia en el cargo. “Si se puede renunciar, ¿qué impide que también pueda ser forzado a renunciar?”, advirtió Skoda sobre esta situación que abrió un precedente inédito.

La renuncia de Celestino V terminó convirtiéndose en una herramienta política utilizada por Felipe IV de Francia para cuestionar la legitimidad del nuevo pontífice. El monarca sostuvo que el anterior papa no había muerto en el cargo, instalando dudas sobre la validez de la sucesión. Convertido en una figura incómoda y silenciosa, el exlíder religioso recordaba que la estabilidad del sistema papal podía tambalearse en cualquier momento, según señaló HistoryExtra.

La confrontación entre Bonifacio VIII y Felipe IV de Francia alcanzó su clímax en 1303, cuando agentes de la corona gala capturaron al papa en el episodio conocido como el ultraje de Anagni. Aunque fue liberado enseguida, el daño a la imagen papal fue profundo.

Advertisement

Luego de la muerte de Bonifacio, la Curia eligió a un sucesor que complació a la monarquía francesa y, en 1309, el papado se trasladó a Avignon.

El traslado a Avignon inauguró una etapa crítica para el papado. La decisión respondió tanto a la inestabilidad política de Roma, asediada por conflictos y violencia, como a la conveniencia francesa, que prefería tener al papa cerca.

Skoda relata en HistoryExtra: “El rey de Francia no quería al papa en Roma”. Con la sede pontificia más próxima, creció la percepción de que el papa respondía a intereses franceses, debilitando la idea de liderazgo para toda la cristiandad.

Advertisement

Esta pérdida de autonomía alimentó críticas y sospechas sobre el auténtico centro de poder de la Iglesia. En 1377, el papado regresó a Roma, pero lejos de restaurar el orden, la situación generó el mayor escándalo institucional de la época: la existencia de papados rivales.

Infografía del papado medieval con ilustraciones de castillos, papas, mapas, tres tiaras rotas, un concilio y la Basílica de San Pedro al fondo.
El Cisma de Occidente dividió a la cristiandad entre hasta tres papas rivales, intensificando las disputas políticas y religiosas en Europa (Imagen Ilustrativa Infobae)

Fallecido Gregorio XI, la elección de Urbano VI resultó inmediatamente controvertida. Varios cardenales rechazaron el resultado y declararon inválida la elección, nombrando a otro candidato. Skoda lo resume así en HistoryExtra: “Intentan deponerlo y elegir a otro papa”.

Urbano VI se negó a dimitir, por lo que, mientras él seguía en Roma, sus adversarios eligieron a un segundo papa instalado en Avignon. Así, Europa quedó dividida y la lucha por la legitimidad papal implicó a los reinos de la época, especialmente a Inglaterra y Francia, cuyas alianzas opuestas se intensificaron durante la Guerra de los Cien Años.

En 1409, el Concilio de Pisa intentó resolver la crisis de la Iglesia destituyendo a los dos pontífices enfrentados y nombrando a uno nuevo para reunificar el poder religioso. Sin embargo, la estrategia terminó agravando el conflicto. “No logran deponer a los dos papas existentes”, explicó Skoda, quien añadió: “Pero sí eligen a uno nuevo; así que entonces hay tres papas simultáneos”. La cristiandad quedó así atrapada en una situación inédita: tres líderes disputando la legitimidad del papado y profundizando la fractura eclesiástica.

Advertisement

El desenlace solo llegó tras el Concilio de Constanza (1414–1418). Tras negociaciones y renuncias forzadas, las facciones rivales se disolvieron y, en 1417, fue elegido un único dirigente para la Iglesia: Martín V.

Según HistoryExtra, “solo el Concilio de Constanza puso fin a la crisis”, restaurando, al menos formalmente, la unidad de la Iglesia y cerrando uno de los periodos más intensos de inestabilidad y escándalo en la Edad Media.



Aviñón,Palacio de los Papas,Celestino V,Bonifacio VIII,Papas,historia,medieval,acuarela,Francia,religión

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

RFK Jr announces ‘largest autism fraud bust in American history’ with $46.6M Medicaid scheme indictment

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced the indictment of two Minnesota defendants charged in what officials called the «largest autism fraud bust in American history.»

Advertisement

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) indicted 55-year-old Shamso Ahmed Hassan and 25-year-old Hanaan Mursal Yusuf, slapping them with numerous counts of fraud and related charges for their alleged $46.6 million scheme to defraud Minnesota Medicaid’s Early Intensive Developmental and Behavioral Intervention (EIDBI) Program.

The indictment was part of a wider enforcement action taken by the DOJ’s National Fraud Enforcement Division that swept up 15 alleged fraudsters in indictments for schemes that targeted over $90 million in taxpayer funds.

«Today’s arrests represent the largest autism fraud bust in American history. This was not a paperwork error. It was not a technical violation. This was organized theft that exploited the most vulnerable children in America, deceived families, stole taxpayer dollars meant to help children with autism access legitimate care and support,» Kennedy Jr. said in a Friday news conference.

Advertisement

‘EPICENTER OF FRAUD’: MINNESOTA’S EMPTY STOMACHS, FAKE AUTISM THERAPY AND A SCANDAL THAT COULD TOP $2 BILLION

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., speaks to the media about alleged Medicaid fraud, and charges that were brought up against 15 individuals at the federal courthouse in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on May 21, 2026. (Christopher Juhn/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Hassan was a shareholder in two autism centers, Smart Therapy Center and Star Autism Center, but she did not disclose her ownership to the Minnesota Department of Human Services as required by law, prosecutors said. Yusuf worked at the Smart Therapy Center and helped operate the center, including by submitting the businesses’ claims for Medicaid reimbursement, according to the indictment.

Advertisement

MINNESOTA FRAUD SUSPECT WHO JUMPED FROM BUILDING IS ARRESTED, FBI SAYS

The pair allegedly paid kickbacks to families to incentivize them to send their children to Smart Therapy Center and Star Autism Center so they could bill for autism-related services in their children’s names. They then billed Medicaid for services that were not rendered or were not reimbursable by Medicaid, according to the indictment.

Of the $46.6 million they filed for reimbursement, $21.6 million was paid out, per the indictment. The DOJ is seeking restitution for that money.

Advertisement
Government officials stand at a podium in Minnesota

Assistant Attorney General for the National Fraud Enforcement Division Colin McDonald addresses the media to announce actions combating fraud in Minnesota at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota on May 21, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Department of Justice is bringing charges against 15 people for fraud that targeted seven Medicaid programs and over $90 million in taxpayer dollars. (David Berding/Getty Images)

The pair «diverted hundreds of thousands of dollars of the fraud proceeds» to «their families’ personal use and benefit, including through real property purchases and transferring funds overseas, including to Kenya,» according to the indictment.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The defendants were each charged with one count of conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud and one count of money laundering. Yusuf was charged with five counts of healthcare fraud, while Hassan was charged with two.

Advertisement
RFK Jr. holds up a chart

Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. addresses the media to announce actions combating fraud in Minnesota at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota on May 21, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  (David Berding/Getty Images)

«Every fraudulent autism diagnosis steals time, care, and resources from the children for whom this program was designed and who desperately need this care. Families with autistic children already face enormous challenges navigating therapies, specialists, and support systems. Fraud makes those barriers even steeper,» Kennedy Jr. said in the announcement.

health care executive, robert f kennedy jr, childrens health, minnesota fraud exposed, autism

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Tendencias