Connect with us

INTERNACIONAL

Hamas influence looms over Gaza elections as experts warn vote could backfire

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

On Saturday, Gazans in Deir al-Balah will go to the polls to elect new local leaders for the first time in 22 years ­— a move experts warn could allow Hamas room to maintain influence as it refuses to comply with ceasefire disarmament terms.

Advertisement

The Foundation for Defense of Democracies’ Executive Director Jonathan Schanzer told Fox News Digital that «when you hold elections in the Palestinian Authority and the timing’s not right and the circumstances are still dicey, you get Hamas victories.»

Schanzer said the Bush administration’s 2006 decision to advocate for elections, which «led to Hamas winning, and it led to a standoff which led to a civil war,» adding that «you’ve got to be really careful when it comes to holding elections with a territory like Gaza in particular, where Hamas has so much control, and where terrorist organizations are still considered to be legitimate players.»

EXPERTS URGE TRUMP TO BAN TERROR-LINKED UN AGENCY FROM HIS GAZA PEACE PLAN

Advertisement

Gazan journalists and media personnel continue to be posthumously identified as members of terrorist groups, highlighting the difficulty of distinguishing terror affiliates from civilians.

Election campaign banners showing candidates for the upcoming municipal elections hang on a building in Deir el-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 21, 2026. On April 25, voters will choose representatives in cities, towns and villages across the West Bank, with the ballot happening in part of the Gaza Strip in the first such election since the start of the war there in Oct. 2023.  (Eyad Baba / AFP via Getty Images)

Four parties are contesting the election in Deir al-Balah. To be eligible, candidates were asked to accept the Palestine Liberation Organization and the terms of agreements it has previously made, including recognition of the State of Israel and endorsement of a two-state solution, according to reporting by the Center for Peace Communications.

Advertisement

However, many are concerned that one party, Deir al-Balah Unites Us, is affiliated with Hamas. Two of its candidates have been pictured with Hamas officials or police officers.

Ahmed Fouad Alkhatib, resident senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, posted on X that «holding elections in Gaza at this time is extremely reckless and irresponsible,» noting that «Gazans are being arrested, jailed, tortured, shot, and killed daily for social media posts and anything they say that’s perceived as being critical of Hamas. These elections should be halted and prevented from proceeding, for they are meddling with the transition process that the Board of Peace, [National Council for the Administration of Gaza], and the international community have planned for Gaza, with Hamas’s disarmament and relinquishment of power being the first necessary step.»

TRUMP SAYS ‘REAL CHANCE FOR GREATNESS’ AS NETANYAHU WHITE HOUSE MEETING LOOMS FOR GAZA TALKS

Advertisement

Disarmament of Hamas, a key demand within the second phase of President Donald Trump’s ceasefire agreement, has yet to be completed. Reports indicate that Hamas has increased its hold in Gaza as of March, continuing to tax locals, building education systems, and placing police throughout the territory they hold.

Hamas terrorists standing guard with weapons in Rafah southern Gaza Strip

Hamas terrorists stand guard in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on Feb. 22, 2025, during the handover of hostages as part of a ceasefire and hostages-prisoners swap deal with Israel. (Hatem Khaled/Reuters)

Schanzer says that Hamas is unlikely to hand over its arms. If they were to do so, he said that they «will try to make distinctions between weapons,» possibly offering to give up heavy weapons like RPGs while maintaining a large arsenal of automatic weapons.

Hamas appears to have made a partial disarmament offer. The New York Times reported on April 19 that two Hamas officials said they would hand over thousands of weapons from their police force and other security institutions. The officials «did not provide a clear answer» when asked if weapons from Hamas’ so-called military wing would be included.

Advertisement

HAMAS FACES ‘LEGITIMACY CRISIS’ AS DESPERATE GAZANS FLOCK TO US-BACKED AID CENTERS

U.S. President Donald Trump holding a signed agreement at a summit in Sharm El-Sheikh Egypt

President Donald Trump holds up a signed agreement during a world leaders summit focused on ending the Gaza war in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, on Oct. 13. (Suzanne Plunkett/Getty Images)

Schanzer pushed back on claims that Hamas’ political and military wings operate separately. «That is a fiction. The idea that they are separate in any way or that there is a firewall between them is asinine.» He said that this is «a distinction that has been made up by the West in order to be able to have political relations with Hamas, or to justify elections. It’s a mistake to buy into that fiction.»

Schanzer said weakening Iran could be key to minimizing Hamas’ influence. «The psychological impact of their top patron being defeated on the battlefield, I can’t overstate how important that event could be,» he said. «It would be a gut punch to Hamas.»

Advertisement
Gaza local elections.

An election campaign starts in the city of Deir al-Balah, Gaza on April 12, 2026, as part of the local elections scheduled for April 25. While posters and works regarding the election process continue in the city, citizens follow the developments closely.  (Mohammed Eslayeh/Anadolu via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

With Israel controlling about 53% of the Gaza Strip and Hamas the remaining 47%, Schanzer said «we could continue to see the erosion of Hamas control» amid the «slow and steady process of Israel winning on the ground.» He said patience, though, is necessary, adding that «the enemies of the United States and Israel and the West have a very different timeline. They want to wait out everybody because they know that we’d like to move on.»

The Trump administration did not respond to Fox News Digital’s questions about whether a partial disarmament would satisfy its ceasefire terms, or if it would take action to stall elections until there’s more stability in Gaza

Advertisement



hamas, war with iran, israel, terrorism

Advertisement

INTERNACIONAL

US embassy in Ukraine warns of ‘potentially significant air attack’ that could happen in next 24 hours

Published

on



NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a security alert Saturday warning that a «potentially significant air attack» could hit the city in the next 24 hours.

Advertisement

The U.S. Mission Ukraine said in a statement, «The U.S. embassy in Kyiv has received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours.»

«The embassy, as always, recommends U.S. citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event an air alert is announced,» the warning added.

The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



ukraine, russia

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

Cómo una renuncia inesperada abrió la puerta a la mayor fractura del papado en la Edad Media

Published

on


El papado de Avignon acentuó la influencia política francesa sobre la Iglesia, lo que exacerbó las críticas sobre la independencia de la autoridad papal (Imagen Ilustrativa Infobae)

En la turbulencia de la Edad Media, el papa emergió como la máxima autoridad, encabezando la Iglesia católica y ejerciendo un control absoluto sobre el orden espiritual y político de Europa occidental.

Considerado sucesor de San Pedro y líder indiscutible de la cristiandad, el papa ocupaba un rol central en una sociedad marcada por la influencia religiosa en la ley, la educación, la monarquía y las estructuras del día a día.

Advertisement

Según HistoryExtra, ese poder supremo coexistía con una realidad estructural: no existía un mecanismo claro para destituir a un papa, lo que convertía la sede de Pedro en un cargo especialmente expuesto ante el ojo público y las disputas internas. El pontífice reclamaba una autoridad divina que, al menos en teoría, superaba a todos los reyes y príncipes terrenos.

En los siglos finales de la Edad Media, esa supremacía fue puesta a prueba por disputas y escándalos que afectaron la integridad del sistema eclesiástico y las bases de la unidad religiosa europea.

El régimen papal asentaba su legitimidad en un principio categórico: “Solo puede haber un papa”, indicó la historiadora Hannah Skoda en el pódcast History Behind the Headlines. Así, la existencia de papas rivales, lejos de ser una excepción, significaba la fragmentación de la cristiandad en facciones enemigas.

Advertisement

Incluso la propia naturaleza inamovible del cargo sumaba una vulnerabilidad esencial para todo el sistema. Según Skoda, “no es posible renunciar siendo papa”, y cualquier intento de impugnar esa posición provocaba crisis capaces de desestabilizar a toda la Iglesia.

A finales del siglo XIII, la elección de Celestino V sorprendió a Europa. Anciano y ermitaño, de vida de retiro y oración, su perfil distaba mucho del habitual en los grupos de poder eclesiástico. “Realmente se preocupaba por los pobres”, indica Skoda, pero carecía del temperamento necesario para manejar los conflictos y la diplomacia inherentes al papado.

La administración de la Iglesia, inmersa en pleitos legales, recaudación de impuestos y relaciones con los gobernantes, requería virtudes espirituales y habilidades administrativas en las que Celestino reconocía sus propias limitaciones.

Advertisement

Abrumado ante esas exigencias y consciente de su falta de aptitud política, abdicó pocos meses después de su elección, decisión que conmocionó a la cristiandad medieval y cuestionó el fundamento de la permanencia vitalicia en el cargo. “Si se puede renunciar, ¿qué impide que también pueda ser forzado a renunciar?”, advirtió Skoda sobre esta situación que abrió un precedente inédito.

La renuncia de Celestino V terminó convirtiéndose en una herramienta política utilizada por Felipe IV de Francia para cuestionar la legitimidad del nuevo pontífice. El monarca sostuvo que el anterior papa no había muerto en el cargo, instalando dudas sobre la validez de la sucesión. Convertido en una figura incómoda y silenciosa, el exlíder religioso recordaba que la estabilidad del sistema papal podía tambalearse en cualquier momento, según señaló HistoryExtra.

La confrontación entre Bonifacio VIII y Felipe IV de Francia alcanzó su clímax en 1303, cuando agentes de la corona gala capturaron al papa en el episodio conocido como el ultraje de Anagni. Aunque fue liberado enseguida, el daño a la imagen papal fue profundo.

Advertisement

Luego de la muerte de Bonifacio, la Curia eligió a un sucesor que complació a la monarquía francesa y, en 1309, el papado se trasladó a Avignon.

El traslado a Avignon inauguró una etapa crítica para el papado. La decisión respondió tanto a la inestabilidad política de Roma, asediada por conflictos y violencia, como a la conveniencia francesa, que prefería tener al papa cerca.

Skoda relata en HistoryExtra: “El rey de Francia no quería al papa en Roma”. Con la sede pontificia más próxima, creció la percepción de que el papa respondía a intereses franceses, debilitando la idea de liderazgo para toda la cristiandad.

Advertisement

Esta pérdida de autonomía alimentó críticas y sospechas sobre el auténtico centro de poder de la Iglesia. En 1377, el papado regresó a Roma, pero lejos de restaurar el orden, la situación generó el mayor escándalo institucional de la época: la existencia de papados rivales.

Infografía del papado medieval con ilustraciones de castillos, papas, mapas, tres tiaras rotas, un concilio y la Basílica de San Pedro al fondo.
El Cisma de Occidente dividió a la cristiandad entre hasta tres papas rivales, intensificando las disputas políticas y religiosas en Europa (Imagen Ilustrativa Infobae)

Fallecido Gregorio XI, la elección de Urbano VI resultó inmediatamente controvertida. Varios cardenales rechazaron el resultado y declararon inválida la elección, nombrando a otro candidato. Skoda lo resume así en HistoryExtra: “Intentan deponerlo y elegir a otro papa”.

Urbano VI se negó a dimitir, por lo que, mientras él seguía en Roma, sus adversarios eligieron a un segundo papa instalado en Avignon. Así, Europa quedó dividida y la lucha por la legitimidad papal implicó a los reinos de la época, especialmente a Inglaterra y Francia, cuyas alianzas opuestas se intensificaron durante la Guerra de los Cien Años.

En 1409, el Concilio de Pisa intentó resolver la crisis de la Iglesia destituyendo a los dos pontífices enfrentados y nombrando a uno nuevo para reunificar el poder religioso. Sin embargo, la estrategia terminó agravando el conflicto. “No logran deponer a los dos papas existentes”, explicó Skoda, quien añadió: “Pero sí eligen a uno nuevo; así que entonces hay tres papas simultáneos”. La cristiandad quedó así atrapada en una situación inédita: tres líderes disputando la legitimidad del papado y profundizando la fractura eclesiástica.

Advertisement

El desenlace solo llegó tras el Concilio de Constanza (1414–1418). Tras negociaciones y renuncias forzadas, las facciones rivales se disolvieron y, en 1417, fue elegido un único dirigente para la Iglesia: Martín V.

Según HistoryExtra, “solo el Concilio de Constanza puso fin a la crisis”, restaurando, al menos formalmente, la unidad de la Iglesia y cerrando uno de los periodos más intensos de inestabilidad y escándalo en la Edad Media.



Aviñón,Palacio de los Papas,Celestino V,Bonifacio VIII,Papas,historia,medieval,acuarela,Francia,religión

Advertisement
Continue Reading

INTERNACIONAL

RFK Jr announces ‘largest autism fraud bust in American history’ with $46.6M Medicaid scheme indictment

Published

on


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced the indictment of two Minnesota defendants charged in what officials called the «largest autism fraud bust in American history.»

Advertisement

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) indicted 55-year-old Shamso Ahmed Hassan and 25-year-old Hanaan Mursal Yusuf, slapping them with numerous counts of fraud and related charges for their alleged $46.6 million scheme to defraud Minnesota Medicaid’s Early Intensive Developmental and Behavioral Intervention (EIDBI) Program.

The indictment was part of a wider enforcement action taken by the DOJ’s National Fraud Enforcement Division that swept up 15 alleged fraudsters in indictments for schemes that targeted over $90 million in taxpayer funds.

«Today’s arrests represent the largest autism fraud bust in American history. This was not a paperwork error. It was not a technical violation. This was organized theft that exploited the most vulnerable children in America, deceived families, stole taxpayer dollars meant to help children with autism access legitimate care and support,» Kennedy Jr. said in a Friday news conference.

Advertisement

‘EPICENTER OF FRAUD’: MINNESOTA’S EMPTY STOMACHS, FAKE AUTISM THERAPY AND A SCANDAL THAT COULD TOP $2 BILLION

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., speaks to the media about alleged Medicaid fraud, and charges that were brought up against 15 individuals at the federal courthouse in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on May 21, 2026. (Christopher Juhn/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Hassan was a shareholder in two autism centers, Smart Therapy Center and Star Autism Center, but she did not disclose her ownership to the Minnesota Department of Human Services as required by law, prosecutors said. Yusuf worked at the Smart Therapy Center and helped operate the center, including by submitting the businesses’ claims for Medicaid reimbursement, according to the indictment.

Advertisement

MINNESOTA FRAUD SUSPECT WHO JUMPED FROM BUILDING IS ARRESTED, FBI SAYS

The pair allegedly paid kickbacks to families to incentivize them to send their children to Smart Therapy Center and Star Autism Center so they could bill for autism-related services in their children’s names. They then billed Medicaid for services that were not rendered or were not reimbursable by Medicaid, according to the indictment.

Of the $46.6 million they filed for reimbursement, $21.6 million was paid out, per the indictment. The DOJ is seeking restitution for that money.

Advertisement
Government officials stand at a podium in Minnesota

Assistant Attorney General for the National Fraud Enforcement Division Colin McDonald addresses the media to announce actions combating fraud in Minnesota at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota on May 21, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Department of Justice is bringing charges against 15 people for fraud that targeted seven Medicaid programs and over $90 million in taxpayer dollars. (David Berding/Getty Images)

The pair «diverted hundreds of thousands of dollars of the fraud proceeds» to «their families’ personal use and benefit, including through real property purchases and transferring funds overseas, including to Kenya,» according to the indictment.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The defendants were each charged with one count of conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud and one count of money laundering. Yusuf was charged with five counts of healthcare fraud, while Hassan was charged with two.

Advertisement
RFK Jr. holds up a chart

Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. addresses the media to announce actions combating fraud in Minnesota at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota on May 21, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  (David Berding/Getty Images)

«Every fraudulent autism diagnosis steals time, care, and resources from the children for whom this program was designed and who desperately need this care. Families with autistic children already face enormous challenges navigating therapies, specialists, and support systems. Fraud makes those barriers even steeper,» Kennedy Jr. said in the announcement.

health care executive, robert f kennedy jr, childrens health, minnesota fraud exposed, autism

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Tendencias