INTERNACIONAL
Mike Johnson faces revolt from GOP privacy hawks threatening to kill FISA renewal as deadline looms

Congress passes short-term FISA 702 extension
Fox News chief congressional correspondent Chad Pergram reports on the 13-day FISA extension. Rep. Ben Cline, R-Va., discusses the measure and Virginia’s controversial redistricting vote on ‘Fox Report.’
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
House GOP leadership is struggling to win over GOP privacy hawks as lawmakers race to extend a powerful government surveillance program ahead of Thursday’s deadline.
The House Rules Committee on Tuesday postponed consideration of a rule teeing up a chamber-wide vote on an extension of Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) as Republicans remain sharply divided over the program.
The plan would renew the spy law for three years while enacting new penalties for abuses of FISA searches. The measure, however, stops short of incorporating a warrant requirement desired by GOP privacy hawks, who want the adoption of tougher privacy guardrails.
The postponed committee action raises doubts about whether House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., can pass an extension of the law before it lapses on April 30.
House Speaker Mike Johnson speaks during a press conference at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 13, 2026. (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
HOUSE VOTE ON ‘VERY SIMILAR’ SPENDING BILL EXPECTED FRIDAY MORNING, GOP LAWMAKER SAYS
The mounting obstacles to passing a FISA renewal in the House could also allow the Senate to act first and force the lower chamber to swallow whatever it passes. The Senate is scheduled to hold a procedural vote on a three-year extension bill later on Tuesday.
Democrats on the House Rules Committee blasted Republicans for indefinitely postponing consideration of the measure after punting a previously scheduled Tuesday morning meeting to take up the procedural measure. The panel initially adjourned on Monday evening after an hours-long session to allow for more time for Republicans to reach a deal.
«After waiting around all night for Republicans to make a deal — with themselves — on a procedural rule for the week, Democrats showed up to the Rules Committee for an 8 a.m. meeting,» Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., wrote on social media. «Unsurprisingly, when we showed up, we were told there is still no deal.
«Their chaos is only matched by their incompetence,» he added.
The stalled rule also delays consideration of a budget blueprint to fund immigration enforcement and a sweeping bill authorizing agriculture and nutrition priorities known as the farm bill, which GOP leadership is hoping to pass on the floor this week.
House conservatives, who voted down two previous proposals offered by GOP leadership, have so far withheld their support for reauthorizing Section 702 absent reforms.

Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., ripped Republicans on the House panel for punting consideration of a procedural measure teeing up a vote on Section 702 of FISA, among other legislation. (Tom Williams/Getty Images)
JOHNSON FACES GOP REVOLT OVER WARRANTLESS SURVEILLANCE POWERS AHEAD OF KEY VOTE
The spy tool allows the government to surveil foreigners abroad who use U.S. platforms even when those communications involve Americans. A mix of conservatives and progressives have long advocated for changes to the program to force intelligence officials to obtain a warrant prior to reviewing Americans’ data.
Several conservative lawmakers on Monday criticized leadership’s proposal as a minor reworking of the original 18-month extension bill that failed on the House floor.
«Really what we’re doing is taking existing law improvements based on two years ago, making some improvements on penalties and on some FISA transparency…but not going further with respect to warrant protections for American citizens on warrantless surveillance,» Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, a key member of the House Freedom Caucus (HFC), said during debate on the measure in the House Rules Committee.
HFC members have sought to add a warrant requirement and language banning a central bank digital currency (CBDC) to the bill — policies they say are critical to winning their votes.
«Even as we are working to right the wrongs and abuses of FISA, it is important we permanently ban what would be the ultimate surveillance tool against our fellow citizens, a central bank digital currency,» Rep. Michael Cloud, R-Texas, told Fox News Digital in a statement.
The Trump administration has pushed for a clean reauthorization of the program, citing the law’s critical national security role. Proponents of the spy law have hailed its ability to gather intelligence that has stopped potential terrorist attacks and drug trafficking.
Rep. Warren Davidson, R-Ohio, a notable GOP privacy hawk, offered his support for the three-year FISA extension during a post on social media last week.
«Collectively, this set of reforms provides robust privacy protections for American citizens. Congress should bank this win and reauthorize Section 702,» Davidson said. «Then, we should swiftly begin gutting the unmitigated surveillance state left growing unchecked during these 702 fights.»

Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, a member of the House Rules Committee, is pushing for amendments to the three-year FISA renewal bill drafted by House leadership. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
House Democratic leadership previewed their objections to Republicans’ FISA reauthorization plan on Monday. Widespread Democratic opposition means Johnson could afford to spare just a handful of GOP defections during a critical procedural vote that could occur as early as Tuesday afternoon.
«This surveillance mechanism could be abused by the likes of individuals like Kash Patel and the acting attorney general,» House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., said during a news conference Monday. «These people have weaponized the criminal justice system, and they simply cannot be trusted to protect the privacy and the civil liberties of the American people.»
congress, republicans, privacy, senate elections, politics
INTERNACIONAL
Crisis en Cuba: «A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización» de la isla

El hastío y la rabia de los cubanos
El cacerolazo se ha convertido en la forma de protesta por excelencia en toda Cuba. En cualquier lugar, la gente suena una cazuela
A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización cubana
La presión que está ejerciendo Estados Unidos obviamente lo está descolocando (al gobierno) de alguna manera. Y ciertamente la gente se asombró.
Solución entre cubanos
Debe haber una amnistía en Cuba
Si hablamos de reconciliación, debemos pensar también en una amnistía para aquellos que están en el gobierno
INTERNACIONAL
Trump pulls back curtain on White House ballroom’s fortress-like defenses above and deep below

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
President Donald Trump gave reporters a fresh look Tuesday at construction of the new White House ballroom, touting it as a hardened security structure that runs six stories into the ground.
«This goes down very deep,» Trump said Tuesday from outside of the White House, motioning for reporters to check out construction updates. «You get a better view right over here. … These are already down two floors. That is down about six stories deep. That’s big stuff. Normally, when you build a ballroom, you build it flat. You just throw the ballroom. It would have been built.»
Trump said the future White House ballroom not just as an event venue, but as a hardened security structure designed to support presidential operations and large gatherings amid heightened concerns following a shooting tied to the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.
‘SHARK TANK’ STAR BACKS TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM PLAN AMID SECURITY CONCERNS: ‘IT’S BIPARTISAN’
Trump gave a tour of the White House Ballroom construction to the press on Tuesday. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump revealed that the ballroom will run about six stories deep, describing the building as made of «impenetrable» steel and four-inch-thick glass. He said 9,000 pounds of concrete is being used.
He said the building would include a military hospital research facilities, various meeting rooms and security infrastructure tied to drone and missile defense.
The roof is «dead flat» with «absolutely nothing but strength on it,» said Trump as he went on to describe the roof as a «drone port» with «unlimited numbers of drones» and military positioning capacity.

A view of the construction site of US President Donald Trump’s proposed ballroom as he speaks to the press at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 19, 2026 (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
«I hate to use the word snipers, but we have great sniper capacities built for our snipers. Not the enemy snipers, our snipers. And because of the height, we get a very clear view of everything all over Washington,» said Trump.
PHOTOS: THE MAKING OF TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM, A LOOK AT THE CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS

Workers are seen as Trump speaks to the press at the construction site of the White House ballroom. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
Responding to questions about the ballroom funding, Trump said Congress is approving funds for security enhancements, while stressing that he and donors, who are funding the project, «put up a lot of money to build» the new ballroom.
The Senate parliamentarian rejected Republicans’ effort to include a $1 billion White House and Secret Service security funding proposal in a reconciliation package on Sunday, with the request tied in part to security upgrades for Trump’s planned East Wing ballroom and broader White House security needs.
TRUMP’S DC BEAUTIFICATION PUSH WINS RARE DEM PRAISE AS PRESIDENT SNAPS LANDMARKS BACK TO LIFE

«The money that’s being put up to build the ballroom and again, the ballroom, it’s necessary for the ballroom to be built with what you see over here. It’s all knitted. The air conditioning, the heating, the drone capacity, the shield. You know, the ballroom becomes a shield for everything that you see right here,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
The ballroom is also facing a National Trust for Historic Preservation lawsuit arguing the administration lacked authority in demolishing the East Wing, though the litigation has not fully resolved the project’s future.
Construction and landscaping projects across Washington, D.C., have accelerated in recent months as the nation prepares to celebrate its 250th birthday in July, with many fountains across the city being restored.
During the press preview, Trump also revealed he made a «multimillion» contribution toward restoration work around Lafayette Park and nearby White House grounds during an exchange on the beautification projects he is doing around Washington, D.C.

«We built it all inside the building… because we don’t want to have anything having to do with air or air quality or any problems playing with the air,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
New fountains in Lafayette Park, located in downtown D.C., were turned on for the first time last month.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Nine fountains are being rehabilitated and returned to service, while nine other operational fountains are set to receive maintenance and system upgrades, according to the National Park Service.
Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for additional comment Tuesday.
white house, national security, drones, washington dc, a250 innovation, donald trump
INTERNACIONAL
WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola spread, says emergency committee will meet

WHO issues WARNING after DEADLY ebola outbreak
The CDC is coordinating the ‘safe withdrawal’ of at least six Americans exposed to a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo after the WHO declared a global health emergency.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The head of the World Health Organization announced a meeting of his emergency committee regarding the «scale and speed» of the Ebola outbreak in the Congo and Uganda on Tuesday.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cited data saying there have been over 500 suspected cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in recent weeks, and 33 confirmed cases. There have been two confirmed cases in Uganda. The outbreak has seen a total of 131 fatalities.
«I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,» Tedros said in a Tuesday statement.
Tedros is meeting with the WHO’s Emergency Committee later Tuesday.
US ISSUES URGENT TRAVEL WARNING AS DEADLY EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS OVERSEAS
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, speaks during an event. (Lian Yi/Xinhua via Getty Images)
There are several factors that have made the WHO concerned about the potential for further spread, such as cases in urban areas, including Kampala, Uganda, and Goma in the DRC, as well as the conflict-affected province of Ituri.
The WHO has approved $3.9 million in emergency funding to support national authorities as they respond to the outbreak.
The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency on Sunday, and the U.S. issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC shortly after on Monday.
UGANDA STARTS CLINICAL TRIAL OF VACCINE FOR SUDAN STRAIN OF EBOLA AMID NEW OUTBREAK

A health worker sprays disinfectant on a colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo, on Sept. 9, 2018. (Al-hadji Kudra Maliro/AP)
Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, a rarer variant for which existing vaccines may be less effective.
The State Department warns that Ebola is a «rare, severe and often fatal hemorrhagic fever illness.»
The virus can spread through direct contact with infected individuals, bodily fluids, infected corpses and objects contaminated with the virus.
CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER DESCRIBES UNCERTAINTY AFTER 3 DEATHS AMID HANTAVIRUS PROBE
«The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Ituri province,» the advisory noted. «Do not travel to this area for any reason.»

Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship tied to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that left three passengers dead. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)
The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring a rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship, which left multiple passengers and crew members sick, and caused three deaths.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
As of May 13, the WHO said 11 hantavirus cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases and one inconclusive case.
Fox News’ Andrea Margolis and Michael Sinkewicz and Reuters contributed to this report.
world health organization, ebola, hantavirus, africa, outbreaks
ECONOMIA2 días agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA2 días agoJorge Macri defendió una eventual candidatura a presidente de Mauricio Macri: “Todo el mundo tiene derecho a competir”
POLITICA1 día agoEl PRO redobló las críticas contra La Libertad Avanza y elevó la tensión: «Cuando ellos estaban callados, nosotros combatíamos al kirchnerismo”

















