INTERNACIONAL
Michigan governor hopeful pressed on past SPLC work after DOJ indictment: ‘What did Jocelyn know?’

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson’s campaign hit back at Republican attacks Friday after the state GOP demanded answers from the Democratic gubernatorial front-runner on her past work with the federally-indicted Southern Poverty Law Center.
Benson is a former volunteer and later board member of the SPLC, which was indicted Tuesday on 11 counts over accusations it fraudulently paid members of extremist groups like the KKK and those tied to the 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said the SPLC paid members of these extremist groups so it could create a «work product that reported on these activities.»
«Jocelyn Benson regularly touted her experience as a leader of the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a group that the Department of Justice says secretly funneled money to the KKK and other hate groups they were purportedly tracking,» the Michigan Republican Party posted on its official X account on Friday.
«What did Jocelyn know, and when did she know it?»
JAY JONES TARGETED AS AGS URGE NATIONAL GROUPS TO DENY MEMBERSHIP OVER SCANDALS: ‘STAIN ON OUR INSTITUTION’
Michigan Attorney General Jocelyn Benson is seen at an event. (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
After her 2004 graduation from college in Massachusetts, Benson moved to Alabama to work for the SPLC, where she aided investigations of hate groups and hate crimes, according to the Harvard Law Review.
She also visited the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma where civil rights figures like the late Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., marched and were badly beaten by law enforcement.
An official with the Benson campaign confirmed she served as a volunteer researcher for the SPLC after college and later served on the Montgomery-based group’s board from 2014–2018.
But when pressed on what Benson knew about the allegations in the DOJ’s indictment, her campaign pushed back on the Republican Party’s attacks.
«Jocelyn Benson has spent her career advancing the unfinished work of the civil rights movement and expanding economic opportunity, including helping dismantle white supremacist and neo-Nazi extremist networks responsible for hate crimes across the country,» the campaign told Fox News Digital on Friday.
«And while Donald Trump is trying to use his Justice Department to distract from his reckless economic policies that are driving up costs for Michiganders, Jocelyn remains focused on lower costs, raising wages, and protecting the rights and freedoms of the people in this state.»
Republicans continued to press Benson for answers.
MIGOP Chairman Jim Runestad told Fox News Digital that Benson’s tenure on the SPLC board coincided with the timeframe in which the DOJ alleged the group began «paying the KKK and other extremist groups.»
DEM GOV’S NEW CAMPAIGN MESSAGE MAN ONCE SAID ‘RELIGIOUS RIGHT’ UNITED BY ‘WHITE SUPREMACY’
«Benson owes an explanation to the public in what she knows about the SPLC’s alleged criminal behavior, considering the criminal activity started around the same time Benson was named to the Board,» Runestad said.
Benson has previously described her early work at the SPLC as focused on investigating extremist groups.
In a 2025 interview with «Keen on America,» Benson recounted researching groups «claiming to be the reincarnation of [Adolf] Hitler,» saying she once sat alone in a hotel room in Spartanburg and feared those people «were going to find out who I was and come and kill me and no one would ever know about it and all the rest.»
«And that was an act of courage, small and no one saw it, but it helped me build a bravery muscle that and several other points throughout my life so that 20 years later, 25 years later, when I’m standing up to the president of the United States, it wasn’t the first time I’ve had to take on those harrowing fights,» Benson went on in the interview.
In prior comments, an SPLC official named Penny Weaver described Benson as coming to Montgomery «straight out of college as an unpaid intern, then worked for us.»
«Benson worked as a waitress to support herself so she could continue to volunteer at the center,» Weaver said, adding that Benson begged to be able to volunteer for the SPLC.
BLACK LIVES MATTER OKC LEADER CHARGED WITH WIRE FRAUD, MONEY LAUNDERING IN ALLEGED $3.15M EMBEZZLEMENT SCHEME
The SPLC is a longstanding left-wing nonprofit that claims to fight White supremacy and racial hatred by reporting on extremist groups and conducting research to inform law enforcement about them with the goal of dismantling the groups. SPLC’s CEO, Bryan Fair, addressed the probe in a video message posted online, arguing the Trump administration has «made no secret who they want to protect and who they want to destroy.»
«We are reviewing the charges,» a subsequent statement from Fair sent to Fox News Digital added. «However, after today’s Department of Justice press conference, we are outraged by the false allegations levied against SPLC – an organization that for 55 years has stood as a beacon of hope fighting white supremacy and various forms of injustice to create a multi-racial democracy where we can all live and thrive. Taking on violent hate and extremist groups is among the most dangerous work there is, and we believe it is also among the most important work we do. To be clear, this program saved lives.»
The complete list of these groups, according to a Justice Department press release, includes the Ku Klux Klan, United Klans of America, Unite the Right, National Alliance, the National Socialist Movement, Aryan Nations affiliated Sadistic Souls Motorcycle Club, National Socialist Party of America (American Nazi Party), and the American Front.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Blanche and FBI Director Patel also argued Tuesday that the SPLC tried to hide its payments to groups the SPLC told its donors it was trying to combat, leading to several of the charges in the indictment.
Fox News Digital’s Alexandra Koch and Alec Schemmel and Fox News’ Jake Gibson and David Spunt contributed to this report.
democrats elections, michigan, hate crime, republicans, politics, justice department
INTERNACIONAL
Crisis en Cuba: «A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización» de la isla

El hastío y la rabia de los cubanos
El cacerolazo se ha convertido en la forma de protesta por excelencia en toda Cuba. En cualquier lugar, la gente suena una cazuela
A Estados Unidos no le interesa la democratización cubana
La presión que está ejerciendo Estados Unidos obviamente lo está descolocando (al gobierno) de alguna manera. Y ciertamente la gente se asombró.
Solución entre cubanos
Debe haber una amnistía en Cuba
Si hablamos de reconciliación, debemos pensar también en una amnistía para aquellos que están en el gobierno
INTERNACIONAL
Trump pulls back curtain on White House ballroom’s fortress-like defenses above and deep below

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
President Donald Trump gave reporters a fresh look Tuesday at construction of the new White House ballroom, touting it as a hardened security structure that runs six stories into the ground.
«This goes down very deep,» Trump said Tuesday from outside of the White House, motioning for reporters to check out construction updates. «You get a better view right over here. … These are already down two floors. That is down about six stories deep. That’s big stuff. Normally, when you build a ballroom, you build it flat. You just throw the ballroom. It would have been built.»
Trump said the future White House ballroom not just as an event venue, but as a hardened security structure designed to support presidential operations and large gatherings amid heightened concerns following a shooting tied to the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.
‘SHARK TANK’ STAR BACKS TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM PLAN AMID SECURITY CONCERNS: ‘IT’S BIPARTISAN’
Trump gave a tour of the White House Ballroom construction to the press on Tuesday. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump revealed that the ballroom will run about six stories deep, describing the building as made of «impenetrable» steel and four-inch-thick glass. He said 9,000 pounds of concrete is being used.
He said the building would include a military hospital research facilities, various meeting rooms and security infrastructure tied to drone and missile defense.
The roof is «dead flat» with «absolutely nothing but strength on it,» said Trump as he went on to describe the roof as a «drone port» with «unlimited numbers of drones» and military positioning capacity.

A view of the construction site of US President Donald Trump’s proposed ballroom as he speaks to the press at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 19, 2026 (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
«I hate to use the word snipers, but we have great sniper capacities built for our snipers. Not the enemy snipers, our snipers. And because of the height, we get a very clear view of everything all over Washington,» said Trump.
PHOTOS: THE MAKING OF TRUMP’S WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM, A LOOK AT THE CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS

Workers are seen as Trump speaks to the press at the construction site of the White House ballroom. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
Responding to questions about the ballroom funding, Trump said Congress is approving funds for security enhancements, while stressing that he and donors, who are funding the project, «put up a lot of money to build» the new ballroom.
The Senate parliamentarian rejected Republicans’ effort to include a $1 billion White House and Secret Service security funding proposal in a reconciliation package on Sunday, with the request tied in part to security upgrades for Trump’s planned East Wing ballroom and broader White House security needs.
TRUMP’S DC BEAUTIFICATION PUSH WINS RARE DEM PRAISE AS PRESIDENT SNAPS LANDMARKS BACK TO LIFE

«The money that’s being put up to build the ballroom and again, the ballroom, it’s necessary for the ballroom to be built with what you see over here. It’s all knitted. The air conditioning, the heating, the drone capacity, the shield. You know, the ballroom becomes a shield for everything that you see right here,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
The ballroom is also facing a National Trust for Historic Preservation lawsuit arguing the administration lacked authority in demolishing the East Wing, though the litigation has not fully resolved the project’s future.
Construction and landscaping projects across Washington, D.C., have accelerated in recent months as the nation prepares to celebrate its 250th birthday in July, with many fountains across the city being restored.
During the press preview, Trump also revealed he made a «multimillion» contribution toward restoration work around Lafayette Park and nearby White House grounds during an exchange on the beautification projects he is doing around Washington, D.C.

«We built it all inside the building… because we don’t want to have anything having to do with air or air quality or any problems playing with the air,» said Trump. (Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
New fountains in Lafayette Park, located in downtown D.C., were turned on for the first time last month.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Nine fountains are being rehabilitated and returned to service, while nine other operational fountains are set to receive maintenance and system upgrades, according to the National Park Service.
Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for additional comment Tuesday.
white house, national security, drones, washington dc, a250 innovation, donald trump
INTERNACIONAL
WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola spread, says emergency committee will meet

WHO issues WARNING after DEADLY ebola outbreak
The CDC is coordinating the ‘safe withdrawal’ of at least six Americans exposed to a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo after the WHO declared a global health emergency.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The head of the World Health Organization announced a meeting of his emergency committee regarding the «scale and speed» of the Ebola outbreak in the Congo and Uganda on Tuesday.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cited data saying there have been over 500 suspected cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in recent weeks, and 33 confirmed cases. There have been two confirmed cases in Uganda. The outbreak has seen a total of 131 fatalities.
«I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,» Tedros said in a Tuesday statement.
Tedros is meeting with the WHO’s Emergency Committee later Tuesday.
US ISSUES URGENT TRAVEL WARNING AS DEADLY EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS OVERSEAS
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, speaks during an event. (Lian Yi/Xinhua via Getty Images)
There are several factors that have made the WHO concerned about the potential for further spread, such as cases in urban areas, including Kampala, Uganda, and Goma in the DRC, as well as the conflict-affected province of Ituri.
The WHO has approved $3.9 million in emergency funding to support national authorities as they respond to the outbreak.
The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency on Sunday, and the U.S. issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC shortly after on Monday.
UGANDA STARTS CLINICAL TRIAL OF VACCINE FOR SUDAN STRAIN OF EBOLA AMID NEW OUTBREAK

A health worker sprays disinfectant on a colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo, on Sept. 9, 2018. (Al-hadji Kudra Maliro/AP)
Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, a rarer variant for which existing vaccines may be less effective.
The State Department warns that Ebola is a «rare, severe and often fatal hemorrhagic fever illness.»
The virus can spread through direct contact with infected individuals, bodily fluids, infected corpses and objects contaminated with the virus.
CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER DESCRIBES UNCERTAINTY AFTER 3 DEATHS AMID HANTAVIRUS PROBE
«The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Ituri province,» the advisory noted. «Do not travel to this area for any reason.»

Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship tied to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that left three passengers dead. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)
The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring a rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship, which left multiple passengers and crew members sick, and caused three deaths.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
As of May 13, the WHO said 11 hantavirus cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases and one inconclusive case.
Fox News’ Andrea Margolis and Michael Sinkewicz and Reuters contributed to this report.
world health organization, ebola, hantavirus, africa, outbreaks
ECONOMIA2 días agoCarlos Melconian: “Hoy estamos con una afluencia de dólares que evita una crisis, pero no hay que despilfarrarlos”
POLITICA2 días agoJorge Macri defendió una eventual candidatura a presidente de Mauricio Macri: “Todo el mundo tiene derecho a competir”
POLITICA1 día agoEl PRO redobló las críticas contra La Libertad Avanza y elevó la tensión: «Cuando ellos estaban callados, nosotros combatíamos al kirchnerismo”

















